Player
    Character
    Lavella Nyteshade
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 73

PLD ENMITY ISSUE ON MISER

While i have no problem holding enm on miser againts an average skilled pt of mnks on my PLD, im having issues holding againts well geared/skilled mnks. Any suggestions?
    This is what I normally do: Build tp off scorp by miser light, voke pull miser, use a mad pot, pop aegis to get spirit combo off asap then riot blade/RoH combo then hitting vokes and flashes in between my blade combos. still get pulled by good mnks.

thx 4 any advice

Player
    Character
    Sword Coheir
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    Well one unconventional method is you can ask the WHM's to hold back a bit on healing at the start and throw out some Sacred Prism > Cures and Holy Succors which can give you a modest hate boost.

I honestly can't make any accurate judgement on your style without looking at your gear and seeing if it could use any improvements.

But generally, Miser isn't all that dangerous (poison will do more damage really than she will), so a more DPS oriented setup would probably benefit you more in hate generation.
    (1)

Support RDM Development: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/42776-How-Would-You-Design-Red-Mage%21[/center]

Player
    Character
    Stu Foo
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    There's a reason people play Warrior in AV. TP song mighty strikes and antagonize openings are better for zergs as paladin is a gradual hate gain and most of that is through cures, which you just don't do on miser because she barely gets any attacks off. Enduring March is also pretty nice to have.

It's also not a problem if you're losing hate because if the monks are all good, she's dying well before she moves and you have tools to keep others alive, rampart, cover, shield bash, and holy succor. Mistress barely even attacks anyway, bad breath is the only element of that fight. Tell people to move to your spot when they pull hate so they don't get the rest of the damage dealers bad breathed. Other than that, monks have second wind and featherfoot, and you have a WHM to regen, just kill the boss.

Losing hate on miser is generally an issue of imbalance in the DPS of your individual damage dealers. If you have a really good monk, and the others are not so good, the fight will take longer and his DPS will overtake your enmity output. However, if all the damage dealers were of his caliber, the mistress would be dead sooner, and before you lost hate to any one single damage dealer. Are you parsing the fights? All of your damage dealers should be within 16,000 to 13,000 damage done, considering six BLM or MNK, one tank, and one white mage. It may not be your problem at all, sometimes the numbers and situation just aren't in your favor, and Mistress zergs are definitely one of those situations due to how hard and steady MNK is against her, although I do suggest Warrior seriously.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Sounsyy Mirke
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Most importantly, is this causing your party to wipe?

I don't really know your gear setup so this is the best advice I can give:

1. Add more enmity gear. HDL, Stonewall Earring, Militia Choker, Coral Armillae+1, melded enmity belt. Edited maddening pot info.

2. Don't use Riot Blade in the beginning. While it's great that you're lowering Miser's defense to speed up kill, it may be causing you to lose hate. The start of the battle is where you want to be generating as much hate as you can. You may want to start out just spamming Flat Blade combos in between voke/flash and spirit's within if you're having this much trouble holding hate, and then add in Riot Blades later. If your MNKs are as good as you say they are, you probably won't be losing too much time by not giving them the DEFdown debuff in the beginning. Riot Blade in the beginning is allowing them to gain more hate from increased dps.
    (0)
    Last edited by Sounsyy; 09-24-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Question answered.

Player
    Character
    Stu Foo
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Sounsyy View Post
    I don't use maddening potions, but it is my understanding that once the timer wears off you lose that hate bonus you gained? Need someone to clarify that for me.
    It's +100 enmity while medicated, which means a further +10% of every action performed while medicated. The +100 enmity modifier goes away when the effect does, but the enmity bonus accrued from actions performed during does not.

It's basically 1/5th of antagonize in a bottle.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Raikki Zero
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 70
    The solution is really to play WAR. There's no such thing as being "only" a PLD in this game if you're serious about tanking. Just like you can't only play WAR. Some encounters are best WAR tanked, and some PLD tanked. It's not a matter of preference, it's a matter of efficiency.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Sounsyy Mirke
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Stufoo View Post
    It's +100 enmity while medicated, which means a further +10% of every action performed while medicated. The +100 enmity modifier goes away when the effect does, but the enmity bonus accrued from actions performed during does not.

It's basically 1/5th of antagonize in a bottle.
    Thanks for the info, Stufoo! Good to know.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Miko Neversleeps
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    Something that Stufoo said which is also important is that really, you don't take much damage tanking Miser. That being the case, you should really go all out with your DD Gear on PLD and don't really worry about things such as defense and HP. Between Aegis Boon, self cures, and Divine Veil, you'll be alright.

Also, depending on how much damage your Flat Blades do in comparison to your Goring Blade, I'd actually almost negate the Goring Blade combo because of the enmity modifier. I'd still do Riot Blades, however, because that defense down buff will enable the MNKs to DESTROY Miser.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Hoolie Who
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 55
    Mistress is squishy (probably from marinating all day in Goldbile) and you won't take a lot of damage from her anyway, so gear for damage yourself.

Here is what I do when tanking Miser's Mistress:

Provoke and Flash.
    Divine Veil, Outmaneuver, Phalanx, Spirit's Within
    Rampart
    Sentinel once Divine Veil is down and start Goring Blade combo.
    Sacred Prism, Aegis Boon to ensure a block for AOE Cure. (Coordinate with your WHM so they know.)
    Hallowed Ground when Sentinel goes down.
    Riot Blade a little over a minute in, where monks should be prepping for 2nd Howling Fist combo.
    Otherwise Provoke and Flash as they become available and Flat Blade combo as TP allows.

I prefer to have Heart Drops (removes Poison and Paralysis) for Bad Breath instead of using a Maddening Potion.

PLD works fine for Mistress Miser.
    (3)
    The First Law of Roegadynics: "A Roegadyn may not injure a Lalafell or, through inaction, allow a Lalafell to come to harm."

Player
    Character
    Raikki Zero
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by HoolieWho View Post
    Mistress is squishy (probably from marinating all day in Goldbile) and you won't take a lot of damage from her anyway, so gear for damage yourself.

Here is what I do when tanking Miser's Mistress:

Provoke and Flash.
    Divine Veil, Outmaneuver, Phalanx, Spirit's Within
    Rampart
    Sentinel once Divine Veil is down and start Goring Blade combo.
    Sacred Prism, Aegis Boon to ensure a block for AOE Cure. (Coordinate with your WHM so they know.)
    Hallowed Ground when Sentinel goes down.
    Riot Blade a little over a minute in, where monks should be prepping for 2nd Howling Fist combo.
    Otherwise Provoke and Flash as they become available and Flat Blade combo as TP allows.

I prefer to have Heart Drops (removes Poison and Paralysis) for Bad Breath instead of using a Maddening Potion.

PLD works fine for Mistress Miser.
    I really don't think that's going to be good enough to hold hate against a 170+ DPS MNK starting with full TP and BV Paeon.
    (0)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast