Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Can't hope to gain enmity through damage on every mob in the game. The only thing Chimera takes any real damage from is Spirits Within. A dps set on that mob is laughable. Methinks in most zergs it would be as well because, while one of the above posters may disagree, healing is a crucial component to Paladin's hate-game, to varying degrees of course. On Chim it's a good chunk, on Miser it could be but WAR is just superior there, and on certain other mobs it's favored less so. In all cases it is still important and people in this section (mostly the ones that have little real end game experience) often neglect to talk about enmity boosting cure hate. They spend a lot of time prattling on about stat caps for a job that can't dps worth a shit and won't hold hate without enmity gear against 150-180 dps players.

There's a lot of "go with what works for you" stuff that gets shoveled around this section too and honestly I think it does more harm than good most times. There's shit that works and shit that doesn't work. Concern yourself with some aspect of the former and tailor it to the players you roll with. Be advised though that as they get better gear and become better players, you will have to do the same, and that means enmity build. Not hp build. Not str/mnd. Enmity. So work on it now. Whatcha got to lose?
    (5)
    Last edited by GreyJorildyn; 09-25-2012 at 07:26 AM.
    Draw swords and shatter shields with us!
    Apply to Neutral Impact today!

http://www.impact-gaming.us

Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyJorildyn View Post
    ....and that means enmity build. Not hp build. Not str/mnd. Enmity. So work on it now. Whatcha got to lose?
    I've always been curious what you run Grey. HDL with Tripple Melded Enmity Belt?
    (0)
    "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's often."
    Temp Forum Ban - July 7th 2016 *** I promise to never call out scrub players again due to it causing a toxic community

Player
    Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    I have three gear sets for PLD. All use Curtana, obviously. All use Kite Shield (HP+151). Food swaps between Apkallu Omelette and Tuna Miq'abob as needed.

Set #1 (HP) when I have Ballad
    HDL Armor
    HDL Gauntlets
    Cobalt Plate Belt (Enmity+42)
    Felt Trousers (HP+163)
    Sentinel's Sabatons (HP+127)
    Stonewall Earring
    Militia Choker
    Raptorskin Wristbands +1
    Stonewall Ring
    Electrum Ring +1

Uses: Chimera

Set #2 (Coat/HP/Enmity) when I don't have Ballad <- this is my go-to set for most things we're testing.
    Cobalt Celata +1 (MND+50)
    Gallant Surcoat
    HDL Gauntlets
    Felt Trousers (HP+163)
    Sentinel's Sabatons (HP+127)
    Stonewall Earring
    Militia Choker
    Raptorskin Wristbands +1
    Stonewall Ring
    Electrum Ring +1

Note: Sometimes I swap in the HDL Flanchard here if I am having enmity troubles, but it's rare.
    Uses: Ifrit (Extreme)

Set #3 (Full Enmity)
    HDL Armor
    HDL Gauntlets
    HDL Flanchard
    Stonewall Earring
    Militia Choker
    Coral Armillae +1
    Stonewall Ring
    Electrum Ring +1

Uses: Rarely use it, but I probably would if I did Garuda or Coincounter as Paladin.

Other stuff I use situationally: Holy Shield/White Ravens (not a lot of use for either on PLD though).
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyJorildyn View Post
    I have three gear sets for PLD. All use Curtana, obviously. All use Kite Shield (HP+151). Food swaps between Apkallu Omelette and Tuna Miq'abob as needed.
    I just find it so hard to imagine that 13-20% extra Enmity on all actions is enough to keep up with decked out Blackmages and Monks. But I guess it has to, considering.

while one of the above posters may disagree, healing is a crucial component to Paladin's hate-game
    While I don't disagree with this. I just don't like the fact that heals generate only 60% Enmity. I'm sure a well timed AOE Cure on Miser could generate around 2000 Enmity. But a Flat Blade Combo with added STR generates 1k+ on a 10 second cooldown.

Thanks to reading your build info. I'll probably work on making something similar. I know it will definatlely be more effective on some bosses anyways, compared to what I use.
    (0)
    Last edited by Judge_Xero; 09-25-2012 at 11:18 AM.
    Temp Forum Ban - July 7th 2016 *** I promise to never call out scrub players again due to it causing a toxic community

Player
    Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Paladin seems inefficient on Miser to me, so I have never done it as PLD. I go war and use full enmity set from above. I keep hate assuming I do not miss more than 1 weapon skull. If I do, things get really rocky. But since this is the PLD section, have at it. I'd use the same full enmity build for miser if I had to choose one.

The extra enmity on ALL actions is what makes it work. If it only increased abilities or only damage, it's not as good. They already did that with Sentinel to differentiate it from Antagonize. Both are great if utilized properly (and I'm willing to bet most don't use them as such).
    (1)
    Last edited by GreyJorildyn; 09-25-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Player
    Character
    Madruk Darkrune
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 50
    For shits and giggles I've been using a +healing setup on Ifrit Extreme. I've been able to get my heals up to 1200 max on holy succor and 600ish on cures while still keeping my hp near 4300ish. Isn't too bad considering that you can basically negate his melee attacks by yourself while pulling a decent chunk of hate at the same time. Useful for anything outside of that? Probably not.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lavella Nyteshade
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 73
    My Gear: AF Body, HDL Legs, Militia Gauntlets, Militia Helm, Sentinel Belt w/ ENM + 22, Militia Choker, Stonewall earrrings,
    Electrum Ring +1 x2, Coral Armillae. Using Moogle sword & Thurmoens Purpose w/ Thurmoens's Purpose.

Appreciate the info so far guys but i really shouldnt expect any members in my pt to tone down, or alter their actions cuz
    of my enm issues. Ive been told many times that there are tanks that dont have the enm issues at all. I tried the WAR tank on Miser and to me it seems like the hate management is even worse than on PLD.

Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by LavellaNyteshade View Post
    My Gear: AF Body, HDL Legs, Militia Gauntlets, Militia Helm, Sentinel Belt w/ ENM + 22, Militia Choker, Stonewall earrrings,
    Electrum Ring +1 x2, Coral Armillae. Using Moogle sword & Thurmoens Purpose w/ Thurmoens's Purpose.

Appreciate the info so far guys but i really shouldnt expect any members in my pt to tone down, or alter their actions cuz
    of my enm issues. Ive been told many times that there are tanks that dont have the enm issues at all. I tried the WAR tank on Miser and to me it seems like the hate management is even worse than on PLD.
    A couple things you can try:
    1) Cobalt Celata melded with at least 32 MND
    2) The Darklight Flanchard has it's uses, but for this fight, you'd benefit from Felt Trousers with at least 18 STR/20 VIT, and some HP melded feet, or just the Militia Sabatons
    (0)
    Last edited by Judge_Xero; 09-26-2012 at 01:02 AM.

Player
    Character
    Scarlett Dzian
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 76
    It's not a case of sacrificeing one stat for another. It's simply using the right stat for the right fight. All the str in the world won't do much for you on Chimera as Gray said but stacking hp helps you survive and also has the added bonus of increasing your spirits within damage as it's hp based.

With that it mind suddenly those double melded str gauntlets don't look so nice in comparison to the militia gauntlets when you're fighting chimera. neither would that str provide much help if you were to tank moogles for example. you spend your time kiting so hp gear is a better choice. it's by no means difficult but being petrified with a big king can hurt if you're whm aren't quick on the ball. well moogle i start in a dd build and swap to hp during memento but kinda highlights my point. paladin in hamlet again hp would be a better option than str.

with miser you don't get hit particularly hard. I drop alot of hp for dps / emnity gear and I've been in parties where the whm will sacred prism regen and switch to monk leaving me to look after myself it's not to difficult once the air clears it's pretty smooth sailing. sometimes incredibly smooth if with all the pounces you get a few stun procs.

There really isn't a one gear set for everything build for paladin or any job really. blms often have 2 or 3 build with varying int and macc loadouts. whms have sets for enhancing vs healing. warriors tank sets & dd sets (someone said a set for rampage and a set for berserk not sure if that's accurate) but it comes back to my opening comment in that it's really not a case of sacrificing one stat for another.
    (1)

Character
    Denmo Mcstronghuge
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    My LS leader tanks Miser as PLD with a DPS build (MND and STR at or as close as possible to caps). The MND will multiply the hate generated from your Flat Blade and Spirits Within combo much more greatly than any healing or Emnity would help you with. He's tried it as WAR too, but the WHMs prefer him on PLD because he's easier to heal. The group has well geared MNKs, yet, he always tells me Miser is an easy straight tank job (compared to things like Garuda or Chimera).

I think he's able to pull it off because DPS wise he's able to do as much damage on PLD as he would on WAR.
    (0)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast