Player
    Character
    Scarlett Dzian
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 76
    Quote Originally Posted by Raikki View Post
    I really don't think that's going to be good enough to hold hate against a 170+ DPS MNK starting with full TP and BV Paeon.
    If the paladin also has paeon and is spamming flatbades in the between all that stuff it's very doable. alot of people forget hallowed ground is more than just oh shit invincible button it has a fairly decent chunk of emnity attached to it.

Personally if I've built tp outside on the mites then I typically run in flash / voke, fast blade flat blade and once everyones around around and hitting miser use rampart. Then fast blade, flat blade aegis, sentinel your spirits within, then flash, voke, dv, sp, cure etc hit your hallowed ground hopefully in time with the second round of howling fists and you should be pretty much golden.
    (0)
    Last edited by Dzian; 09-24-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by HoolieWho View Post
    Mistress is squishy (probably from marinating all day in Goldbile) and you won't take a lot of damage from her anyway, so gear for damage yourself.

Here is what I do when tanking Miser's Mistress:

Provoke and Flash.
    Divine Veil, Outmaneuver, Phalanx, Spirit's Within
    Rampart
    Sentinel once Divine Veil is down and start Goring Blade combo.
    Sacred Prism, Aegis Boon to ensure a block for AOE Cure. (Coordinate with your WHM so they know.)
    Hallowed Ground when Sentinel goes down.
    Riot Blade a little over a minute in, where monks should be prepping for 2nd Howling Fist combo.
    Otherwise Provoke and Flash as they become available and Flat Blade combo as TP allows.

I prefer to have Heart Drops (removes Poison and Paralysis) for Bad Breath instead of using a Maddening Potion.

PLD works fine for Mistress Miser.
    Good advice.

To OP it really depends on your Paladin Gear. You definatly want a DD setup for this fight. You should be pulling over 1K enmity just from a Flat Blade combo if you have STR and MND at or near the stat caps.
    (1)
    "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's often."
    Temp Forum Ban - July 7th 2016 *** I promise to never call out scrub players again due to it causing a toxic community

Player
    Character
    Cloudi Strife
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 50
    ]While I agree Miser is more problematic to tank on Pld, and generally speaking easier on War overall, I agree with majority of the posters on here about methods of tanking. Everyone has their preferences on style, some have many depending on situation which separates a people from being a meat shield and a tank. Only going to comment on Pld and leave War out of this being it is a Pld category. There are HP, Vit, Def, Dmg, Enmity gear set ups. Which one you use for each fight depends on what your fighting and I have tried all of the ones mentioned(Im leaving DL/HDL out since either your working on getting it, or don't have it) For Miser I will either go Vit, Dmg or HP and have no problem managing hate on any of them. Vit is good for general buffs on the pt between actions and minimizing dmg intake(use this for weaker groups) HP I will use for high dmg groups which may sound like im just going for survivability but actually playing right into Sprits Within, which gets an astronomical boost dmg wise which boosts your enmity immensely every 60 seconds which can be comboed with a mad pot, misc enmity gear, sentinel. Dmg is easy enough to understand and guess at, im going for dmg, but as Pld your never going to do great dmg in comparison to your DD's, BUT what you can do is use every opportunity you can to boost your pt's physical dmg by a good 1.5x-2.5x dmg which makes the fight last that much less. As Pld you should not only be looking at holding hate the entire time, but also looking to do everything you can to best benefit the pt as a whole instead of trying to prove yourself and show off(not saying you are/were, just a rule of thumb)

Generally speaking I will go in with a Vit or Dmg set up on Miser and get into position outside of agro range like majority of people do. pop outmanouver, pop mad pot, run in , voke, flash, phananx, bloodbath, sentinel, spriits within, bleed effect combo(cant rember names and yes get the effect), voke, flash, riot blade, aegis boon, phalanx, sentinel, bloodbath, spirits within, repeat combinations and cover as need be, with moderate gear you will do fine. With that said dodge the breathes, use actions that benefit the pt as a whole even if it means letting someone else get hate for a bit, just use cover and use it as an opportunity to heal yourself for enmity.

I don't agree with the post saying Pld gets majority of enmity from healing, if that is the primary source of your enmity generation it needs to be tweaked so its not so reliant. I am assuming though with you saying that, that you try to maximize your other traits.

I tanked for a couple of the people you were with OP that you might have been having troubles maintaining enmity on, but I have held hate on them without really trying that hard. Try looking into what play style you want to go for and amplify it so that you can roll with it in any situation and dominate it to make it yours even if it makes you stand out like a sore thumb.

I appologize for the long post, but I know it will be of some help to some people having issues with Miser. It just takes a little bit of fineness and prowess to make tanking seem effortless from one fight to another to be on par or exceed another job/class that would be otherwise niche.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by 1clou View Post
    There are HP, Vit, Def, Dmg, Enmity gear set ups.
    This is more of a general question, but I thought I'd ask it here. When you say HP setup, how much total HP are you talking about?

My build atm is mostly a DMG build, but with the improvements to my gear I'm currently working on, I'm shooting for pretty decent HP in addition to stats important for a DMG build.
    (0)
    Last edited by Molly_Millions; 09-25-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Player
    Character
    Cloudi Strife
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 50
    on PLD its a safe 4500 without food. for example on Chim it works pretty well as well as any mob, with general no hp gear can get a decent 300dmg and crit for 450ish, where as the hp set can get 600 dmg and 800-900dmg crit. really decent enmity generation with that combo which imo is first if not second at the very least to riot blade(could be goring, but the one where youg et enmity generation from using it from behind)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by 1clou View Post
    on PLD its a safe 4500 without food. for example on Chim it works pretty well as well as any mob, with general no hp gear can get a decent 300dmg and crit for 450ish, where as the hp set can get 600 dmg and 800-900dmg crit. really decent enmity generation with that combo which imo is first if not second at the very least to riot blade(could be goring, but the one where youg et enmity generation from using it from behind)
    Depending on the mob, I can actually crit for 1k plus atm, so I'm definitely good there. (That's by eating smoked raptor and using mega-potions of STR, fyi.) I'm not sure if I can easily hit the 4500 hp mark though without sacrificing DMG. Thanks for the input, it gives me a target to shoot for.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly_Millions View Post
    Depending on the mob, I can actually crit for 1k plus atm, so I'm definitely good there. (That's by eating smoked raptor and using mega-potions of STR, fyi.) I'm not sure if I can easily hit the 4500 hp mark though without sacrificing DMG. Thanks for the input, it gives me a target to shoot for.
    My standard set right now is. Militia Cuirass/Sabatons. Felt Trousers, Cobalt Gauntlets/Celata. Kite Shield (Double Meld HP) and Cobalt Plate Belt (Double Meld HP)

With Jewelery and such, I'm sitting at 308 STR, 303 MND, 280 VIT and 4200 HP. (only 380ish Acc so I use food for that) - HP value is with the 10% party bonus

With the Militia Gear you should be able to keep your DD setup and have decent HP.
    But yeah, not sure if I could give up my Melded Pants and Gloves for HP melded ones.
    I would lose 60 STR and 22 VIT.
    (0)
    Last edited by Judge_Xero; 09-25-2012 at 04:24 AM.
    Temp Forum Ban - July 7th 2016 *** I promise to never call out scrub players again due to it causing a toxic community

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Xero View Post
    With Jewelery and such, I'm sitting at 312 STR, 315 MND, 300 VIT and 4200 HP. (only 380ish Acc so I use food for that) - This is with the 10% party bonus.
    If it works for you, I'll just go the route I'm going without worrying about making a 2nd set of gloves for HP. I'll be able to easily hit 4200 HP once I get the melds I really want. You can see what I'm working with currently in the post below. I want to swap out my shield with one that has ~160 hp, get some sentinels sabatons with ~187 HP, and get the same amount of enmity on a new belt with +65 HP as well. In addition to what's shown in that post I have a pair of felt trousers I use for WAR with 18 STR and 20 VIT.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...l=1#post839243
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    If it works for you, I'll just go the route I'm going without worrying about making a 2nd set of gloves for HP. I'll be able to easily hit 4200 HP once I get the melds I really want. You can see what I'm working with currently in the post below. I want to swap out my shield with one that has ~160 hp, get some sentinels sabatons with ~187 HP, and get the same amount of enmity on a new belt with +65 HP as well. In addition to what's shown in that post I have a pair of felt trousers I use for WAR with 18 STR and 20 VIT.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...l=1#post839243
    I was just responding to this.

Which you are right that to hit the 4500 HP mark you'd sacrifice damage. I was just showing what I use to get around 4200 HP without sacrificing damage. My gear is basically the same as yours. I have a +48 MND Celata, and +39 STR Gloves. I don't have HP melded gloves...
    (0)
    Last edited by Judge_Xero; 09-25-2012 at 05:16 AM.

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    A lot of folks I play with are getting that much HP via the full militia set. But tbh, I really don't like the gloves compared to mine. Sure, the enmity and HP on them is nice, but 41 STR is hard to argue with. As far as how much enmity is gained from attacks, doesn't it basically take a percentage of your damage dealt and convert it to enmity? If that's the case, I think I'd actually be sacrificing enmity from dmg just to add it back via the enmity bonus on the militia gloves. Actual numbers/testing aside that's not something I want to do. I like hitting for relatively big numbers on my PLD.
    (0)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast