Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90

Coincounter

He hits hard. Don't like him. Been watching my paladin friends die.

How do you guys reliably deal with the cyclops?

...and don't say "throw gil."
    (I want that to be a 1 hit KO move on him when implemented.)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Evercy Warclan
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 70
    From all the research I've done, the best way is:

-Know the distance to stand to avoid 1000 Tonze Swing and Eye of the beholder. Both AoEs WILL one shot you
    -Tank must know when to start running from 1000 Tonze Swing which will make Coincounter fall on his ass for a little bit if it hits nobody.
    -Keep a sharp eye on the chatlog and watch for Animal Instinct. Nobody should attack/cure/anything until the tank receives full hate again from Coincounter.
    -When adds pop, kill the adds closest to you if their skills will be able to hit you. They can Silence you which is incredibly nasty for the fight
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Sounsyy Mirke
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    It's all about knowing how to avoid his skills, Thal. Coincounter may be strong, but he's fairly slow at firing moves off.

For the tank, the most important skills to watch out for are 100Tonze Swipe and 100Tonze Swing. Swipe can be avoided by running straight through him so that you're standing just behind/under his butt. I've found the most effective way to avoid Swing is to run either straight to the left or right. Now, the minimum distance you need to run is kind of fuzzy with lag. Judging that distance takes a little practice, but shouldn't take long. If your tank is PLD, he can afford to mess up some because he has some great mitigation moves. Any one of the following moves -Shield Bash, Aegis Boon, or Sentinel will help you stop/eat a Swipe/Swing if you mess up. But the downside is you don't get him to fall over. If the tank can get that down, the only thing he has to worry about is healing himself after that Glower move that coincounter will sometimes do.

For everyone else. Almost max distance is preferable. Eye of the Beholder can wipe a party if you're not standing in the right spot. When I go as white mage I like to stand just outside of his 100Tonze Swing aoe radius. This way I know I won't get hit by 100Tonze or Eye of the Beholder. If you get positioning down, all you have to worry about is Animal Instinct. If you see Animal Instinct, stop casting. It's very easy for the tank to get hate back after Animal Instinct, but if a BLM mis-fires, it can wipe a party in that 2 second Oh Shit moment. As for slugs, I've never had a real problem with them? If you're a mage in Aurum Vale you should always be carrying Throat Drops. They're cheap and their worth it. 2-5 seconds of silence can be the difference between winning and wiping.
    (1)
    Last edited by Sounsyy; 09-20-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Player
    Character
    Hoolie Who
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 55
    For 100-Tonne Swing run out of range.

For 100-Tonne Swipe either run behind him or block it with Aegis Boon or Divine Veil, or take the hit with Sentinel or Hallowed Ground.

For Glower either run behind him or take it and cure yourself as he uses the ability.

For Animal Instinct you can use Shield Bash to buy some time for yourself and your party to react. Spamming Animal Instinct is about the most uncooperative thing Coincounter can do.

Beware of Amnesia from slugs. But if it affects you, remember that you can in principle dodge all of his one-shot attacks that you might otherwise want to use an ability to mitigate the damage from.

Lag of course is a myth and doesn't exist. But if it did, this is an encounter where it could be an issue, especially late in the fight when all of those slugs pop.

Good luck. I love Coincounter. He's really the only challenge for a tank in Aurum Vale.
    (2)
    The First Law of Roegadynics: "A Roegadyn may not injure a Lalafell or, through inaction, allow a Lalafell to come to harm."

Player
    Character
    Krystalan Deathgiver
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    What's the party set up?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sounsyy Mirke
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    The LS I run AV with usually goes WAR/PLDx1, WHMx1, BRDx1, BLMx5 for Coincounter. If that helps the OP any.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    I wonder if anyone has pin pointed the mechanic behind Animal Instinct.

As a PLD, if I go crazy right off the start, then Animal Instinct will proc within the first 30 seconds.
    If I keep generating too much Enmity, then he will spam Animal Instinct and 100 Ton Swing.

(example of starting rotation)(Enmity in Brackets)
    Toss Dagger -> Flash/Provoke(900ish) ->Divine Veil->Toss Dagger->Phalanx(350)->Spirits Within for about 850(2125)->Flat Blade Combo 200ish(1100)

So roughly 4500 Enmity in 30ish seconds, Animal Instinct will proc after this for some reason, which is about the time a Thundaga combo will be coming in.

I've heard that if the Tank's Enmity is too low, then he will use Animal Instinct, but it also seems to proc, if it's too high.
    So is there some sort of happy medium? Most the videos I've seen, all the DDs just hover at yellow (50%ish).
    (0)
    Last edited by Judge_Xero; 09-21-2012 at 01:07 AM.
    "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's often."
    Temp Forum Ban - July 7th 2016 *** I promise to never call out scrub players again due to it causing a toxic community

Player
    Character
    Sword Coheir
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    There's a way you can setup your log to help anticipate his moves making it easier to identify and avoid them. If you don't know how to setup your chatlog here's a guide I did a while back how to set it up called Prepping yourself for Primals. (Should be able to access it w/o forum access, but please let me know if the link doesn't work and I'll copy/paste it for you).

The BIG thing to be aware of is his behavior changes mid-fight, but his TP move frequency is predictable if you learn to anticipate it.

The first 50% his TP moves are drawn out about after every 3-5 Auto Attacks the exception being when he uses Animal Instinct, which he always follows up with Eye of the Beholder or 100-Tonze Swing.

Post 50% when the slugs pop CC will start using moves almost back to back, during this phase it's actually better to stop what your doing and watch his movements. Wait for him to do the weaker TP moves, and strike with one or two WS/JA's then wait to see what he does next (don't worry about your combo timer running out you'll have plenty of time after his next TP move), it's very important you do this because it can make a world of difference on being to avoid 100-Tonze Swing/Swipe/Whatever. The mages will have to control their hate of course post 50%, but in this case it really is better safe than sorry if they can't take him out in less than a minute or two.

In the off-chance you do get stuck in animation lock when he starts 100-Tonze Swing, don't move you're going to get hit by it (You really do need every second to get out of range), instead fire off any of your mitigation moves like Aegis Boon, Divine Veil, Sentinel, or Hallowed Ground and if all of those happen to be down Shield Bash and hope you get lucky Stunning him or Blocking the move.

It might also be beneficial to save Flash/Voke post 50% as well, though uncommon he is not unknown to spam lots of Animal Instincts in a row, and there's nothing worse than him doing it right after you used all your hate abilities. Just remember he follows up with Eye of the Beholder or 100-Tonze Swing so your party needs to pay attention, especially if he makes a run for the mages right after.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Xero View Post
    I wonder if anyone has pin pointed the mechanic behind Animal Instinct.

As a PLD, if I go crazy right off the start, then Animal Instinct will proc within the first 30 seconds.
    If I keep generating too much Enmity, then he will spam Animal Instinct and 100 Ton Swing.

I've heard that if the Tank's Enmity is too low, then he will use Animal Instinct, but it also seems to proc, if it's too high.
    So is there some sort of happy medium? Most the videos I've seen, all the DDs just hover at yellow (50%ish).
    I've theorized this too, but unfortunately I haven't found a solid method for predicting AI. Though we've been doing alot of AV speedruns lately for relic, and judging from his patterns it seems like the game just picks one move randomly and he'll spam it at a much greater frequency than others. Like one run he'll do tons of AI, others he'll do tons of 100 Tonze Swings or Swipes, etc.
    (2)
    Last edited by SwordCoheir; 09-21-2012 at 01:08 AM.

Support RDM Development: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/42776-How-Would-You-Design-Red-Mage%21[/center]

Player
    Character
    Sounsyy Mirke
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordCoheir View Post
    judging from his patterns it seems like the game just picks one move randomly and he'll spam it at a much greater frequency than others. Like one run he'll do tons of AI, others he'll do tons of 100 Tonze Swings or Swipes, etc.
    I've noticed this a lot as well. I've been lucky and usually only see one, maybe two, Animal Instinct(s) per run (knock on wood), usually just before or just after 50% hp. It would make a ton of sense though if Judge was correct and it was triggered by too much hate above rest of the party or even the difference between tank and lowest enmity generating player.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Sounsyy View Post
    I've noticed this a lot as well. I've been lucky and usually only see one, maybe two, Animal Instinct(s) per run (knock on wood), usually just before or just after 50% hp. It would make a ton of sense though if Judge was correct and it was triggered by too much hate above rest of the party or even the difference between tank and lowest enmity generating player.
    That would make sense, because it seems to align with the way ifrit's eruptions work. Developers like to copy code where they can, and it totally makes sense to do so in this case.
    (0)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast