Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Player

Quote Originally Posted by Jinrya-Geki View Post
    I don't see how they can implement it, and make it unique while White mage is the way it is anyway.

They have no current plans for blue mage.

By what Summoners seems to be what Black Mage should be. An all-situation caster.

I don't know. I gave up trying to understand what they doing with it...
    Your Sig is super annoying.. change it plzz. Thank You
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeZ View Post
    Your Sig is super annoying.. change it plzz. Thank You
    ...I like that signature...

Quote Originally Posted by Jinrya-Geki View Post
    I don't see how they can implement it, and make it unique while White mage is the way it is anyway.

They have no current plans for blue mage.

By what Summoners seems to be what Black Mage should be. An all-situation caster.

I don't know. I gave up trying to understand what they doing with it...
    Well, then what would you have them be, in more than just a general identification? Maybe consider some popular opinions on the forums too, and compare the differences afterwards, between those and what appears possible for the current setup?

The way I usually look at the classes is that by being as damage-enfeebling centered as a Black Mage is (at least in concept), they usually make the best soloists, centers, or 'cannons' of the casters. Their enfeebling effects use dark-side magic, deal decent damage at the same time. By being enfeeblers rather than buffers, they are target-centric, allowing for quick take downs of enemies when working in tandem, but without that much synergy between casters. Focus is instead on the right priorities or functions being used to enough extent in their appropriate times.

White mages, inversely, naturally have a bit more party-use. Their light-side spells generally deal a bit less damage, and have utilities that aren't strictly needed in most situations, especially in terms of locking down and nuking an enemy. Ideally, I'd like for their abilities to work well in tandem with Black Mages such as in water aiding lightning damage, wind aiding fire, and earth taking advantage of striking frozen targets, but this is likely beyond SE's needs and won't be done. Spells are a bit more party-centric, prioritizing party members over nuke targets. I suppose that can also work well in 'one versus many' solo situations, but seems more obviously a party-play lead.

Red and Blue mages are a bit less definitive to me. Both seem to have more to do with the 'tide of battle'. Rather than merely thinking about the targets and the forces to be used, their focus is on the targeting and the forces in play. In the case of Red mages -- enfeebling, branding, swapping between physical and magic focuses, and heavily taking the opportunities for greater effect when they arise. They are the ones who can capitalize on the flow of battle probably more than any other job. Their rapier seems emblematic of this -- quick, and to the point, even if there may be a time leading up to the fatality. Blue mages, inversely, can attempt to control the tide of battle through the abilities in play, stealing them, using their own modifiable arsenal of spells, and trying to turn the tide and flow of different elements without directly guarding against each. As such, the scimitar and other curved blades do seem to fit them well.

That said, I could make a list of actual abilities I'd like for them to use, but without seeing both the style and exact abilities being used in ARR beforehand, it'd be futile effort.

*Right now I do like that at least the Arcanist fits the niche of Summoner on the way up. Starting as an enfeebler, using derivative effects in combat, the versatility of their pets as Summoner seems spot-on as a job.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Jinrya Geki
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    There was a small clip on White Mage in the live letter, any way we could get a sneak peak at Black Mage in ARR, please?
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2