Player
    Character
    Psxpert Sylph
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Shougun View Post
    Being this SE first real guild (that I know of) its exciting to see if they will try to push the edge for what guilds mean and do. (Obviously giving guilds powerful summons is a unique step compared to the average mmo)

/choff
    Guild housing
    /choff
    (0)

~'\[[_LEGACY_]]/'~
    TENTs because solo-friendly content forces me to want one!
    (HP + Instantly logout anywhere)

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/my/
    *Excalibur* Nation: Limsa Laminsa

Player
    Character
    Noctis Umbra
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    They're still gonna have linkshells for staying connected with lots and lots of people based on time zones and whatever.

However FCs are for more tight-knit groups that will spend most of their time playing together since yıou can only be in one FC. It will be your primary crew. Add the fact that alliances can be formed, and you already have enough reason to expect that most FCs won't even grow beyond 20 or so people.

I'm pretty sure they didn't put much thought into their cap of 100+. The thought process was probably more like "Hmm.. what value can we set the cap at so that players pretty much won't have to worry about hitting it? 100? Sounds good."
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by NoctisUmbra View Post
    They're still gonna have linkshells for staying connected with lots and lots of people based on time zones and whatever.

However FCs are for more tight-knit groups that will spend most of their time playing together since yıou can only be in one FC. It will be your primary crew. Add the fact that alliances can be formed, and you already have enough reason to expect that most FCs won't even grow beyond 20 or so people.

I'm pretty sure they didn't put much thought into their cap of 100+. The thought process was probably more like "Hmm.. what value can we set the cap at so that players pretty much won't have to worry about hitting it? 100? Sounds good."
    Yay someone else who doesnt think guilds = lose social groups, where you dont really know the people in it. I think they are thinking similar to this because in their examples they mention 8 people in the same FC working together. Its like a tip of the hat to static groups. The upper limit I believe is good just because I know some LS plan to full on convert into a FC - getting kicked out would suck.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Serielley View Post
    In the latest Live Letter, Yoshi-P had this to say about Free Companies:

I see some things here that like, (leveling your Free Company, shared storage, alliances, etc.) but I also see something that I'd really like clarification on from the devs.

Are Free Companies tied to the Grand Companies? Meaning, is it going to be required that all members of a Free Company belong to the same GC? Are we going to be able to have members be from all GCs? I'd really like to get some clarification on that, since if, for instance, all FC members have to be Maelstrom, or if our FC's allegiance is tied to just the Maelstrom that's going to make a lot of people in my LS upset. I also don't want to have to run 3 different FCs to accommodate all of my members.

I know that FCs won't be in the game at launch, and are coming soon after, but the more information we can get about them, the better. As a LS leader, I'm going to need to be able to plan in advance for my members, and I know I'm not the only one out there with concerns about how the new "guild" system in ARR is going to work.
    They clearly said that you do not have to be in the same GC to join a FC.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tryst Wildkey
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 50
    I have a too long/didn't read the thread Free Company question.

Can you start a free company with the required 4 characters, but coming from the same SE account.

See, my husband and I play, and it would be great if he could just shove the stuff he gathers into a shared vault so I can then use it to craft, instead of us trading 4 items at a time back and forth.

So, can I have 2 characters from my SE account, and 2 characters from his SE account form a Free Company?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Lady Gaga
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    Breaking and Splintering, sounds like a good community lol. Keep in mind regardless of FC size you can alliance yourself with other FC. Which will keep managing numbers easier. Managing a guild of a 50+ actives is already like having another real life job - put that shit on your résumé. Even having only 10 people talk at once makes reading guild chat insane, I dont see why people would want 100+ people unless they plan on inviting people like they do on Facebook (or want to have a collection of inactives).

Though I think for being able to move from LS to FC seamlessly (1.0 players) they should make the limit on FC the same as 1.0's LS limit.

Also to reiterate what SE has already said. LS will become chat channels, if you want to social network- use a LS ("Chat Channels"). FC are more like your statics, being a part of them has tangible benefits.
    No, breaking the shell because there's no way to oust people who haven't logged in a long time due to terrible technical restrictions and forming splinter/additional shells because they fill up and you can't have more. The community is fine, other than having to deal with terrible restrictions that shouldn't be there in an online game in 2012.

And we run things just fine, thanks, just because organizing a large group is a challenge you don't feel you'd be up for doesn't mean that others aren't.

And otherwise as for everyone else thinking that 100 is a "reasonable" limit, remember that other people play games for different reasons and for different experiences than you, and it's pretty terrible to run your mouth about how you think everyone should be forced to fit your vision. Some of us like to be in and run gigantic megaguilds, others don't. I'd be equally against content that was incredibly biased toward large guilds over small ones because there's something to be said for all sizes of guild.
    (0)
    Last edited by BotenAnna; 09-28-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by BotenAnna View Post
    No, breaking the shell because there's no way to oust people who haven't logged in a long time due to terrible technical restrictions and forming splinter/additional shells because they fill up and you can't have more. The community is fine, other than having to deal with terrible restrictions that shouldn't be there in an online game in 2012.

And we run things just fine, thanks, just because organizing a large group is a challenge you don't feel you'd be up for doesn't mean that others aren't.

And otherwise as for everyone else thinking that 100 is a "reasonable" limit, remember that other people play games for different reasons and for different experiences than you, and it's pretty terrible to run your mouth about how you think everyone should be forced to fit your vision. Some of us like to be in and run gigantic megaguilds, others don't. I'd be equally against content that was incredibly biased toward large guilds over small ones because there's something to be said for all sizes of guild.

Lol they arent my caps, I'm just giving my reasons why SE is doing it.

Guilds = FC = tight knit community you play with frequently.

Link Shells = Chat Channels = ... chat channels.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Oki Omni
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Lol they arent my caps, I'm just giving my reasons why SE is doing it.

Guilds = FC = tight knit community you play with frequently.

Link Shells = Chat Channels = ... chat channels.
    Linkshells = tight knit community you play with frequently <,< = Guilds i see no change other than 4 leaders having a bigger inventory space than the non-leader of said guild
    (0)
    ll "Have fun and do not make stupid fights you cannot win" ll

Player
    Character
    Skadi Felis
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 70
    Can we now make a Trade LS for Uldah?
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Noctis Umbra
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Guys... You can only be a part of one FC. The FC you belong to will be the crest you carry by your name. Linkshells will be simplified further as what they actually, technically, functioned as - a large set of linkpearls meant for communication.

So, yes... the vague mention of a cap over 100 is no problem at all. Especially with alliances.
    (0)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6