Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50

Gear Question

i'm currently using

Storm Seargent Axe (VIT+40)
    Lominsan Officer Cap (VIT/HP+30)
    Lominsan Officer Gloves (HP+100,Acc+50)
    Lominsan Officer Overcoat (STR/VIT+10, Def+70)
    Fighter's legs
    Fighter's boots
    Rubellite+1x2
    Electrum Gorget+1
    Storm Seargent bracelets (AP+3,STR+7)
    Storm Seargent ear (AP+4, Crit AP+4)
    Penance (STR+2, VIT-1) // Sentinel's Plate Belt (Vit+4) Unmelded

Obviously I'm VIT heavy and could use a bit more STR. I'd prefer not to give up my gloves, because i like my +50 acc. so the only other place I think I can get STR is if i get a giantsgall with +str on it. but seeing as this is very expensive i question if it's really worth it.

WAR is my secondary job, and i consider WHM my main. If I do any expensive melding its' going to be on a head piece for enhancing on WHM before i look at doing any melding on WAR. (Also with the looming server shutdown and changes in ARR, i'm a little hesitant to invest too much in melding. Gil will always be worth something. the system may change drastically enough that my melds aren't worth as much). I feel pretty safe heavily investing in GC gear, as these arent likely to change much in ARR.

So:

Do y'all think it's better if i invest in increasing my STR (giantgalls) or get enmity+pieces in my accessories? (namely ear, arm, neck)

Is fighter burgeonet better than than lominsan cap? why?

for capping my VIT, is it better to keep the axe and swap to the burgeonet or keep the cap and get an LT axe?

Or do you think this gear set is acceptable for end-game back-up tanking and I can look at gearing my MNK instead?
    (0)

Player

I don't really want to make too many recommendations since I don't play warrior, but have you considered going Giantsgall axe with a single tier IV accuracy meld and then double meld bracers with whatever you're short on? You'd get 26-30 accuracy on the axe, which is comparable to mogaxe and garuda in terms of accuracy. If you find you really do miss the 20-25acc from the gloves, there's always food, explorer's choker, and +1 electrum rings to offset that.

Keep in mind, giantsgall caps primary around 330 or so too (compared to 350ish for lieutenant weapons), so it'll depend on what your stats come to exactly. You may want atk instead of str on giantsgall if you keep the acc gloves.

Just thinking it'd be a lot easier/cheaper to single meld giantsgall and double some bracers/gauntlets than the other way around. And then you have the option of triple str gloves (or whatever the desirable meld is in ARR) when you upgrade the axe.
    (0)
    Last edited by Perin; 09-14-2012 at 05:02 AM.

Player
    Character
    Naomi Onisake
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Perin View Post
    I don't really want to make too many recommendations since I don't play warrior, but have you considered going Giantsgall axe with a single tier IV accuracy meld and then double meld bracers with whatever you're short on? You'd get 26-30 accuracy on the axe, which is comparable to mogaxe and garuda in terms of accuracy. If you find you really do miss the 20-25acc from the gloves, there's always food, explorer's choker, and +1 electrum rings to offset that.

Keep in mind, giantsgall caps primary around 330 or so too (compared to 350ish for lieutenant weapons), so it'll depend on what your stats come to exactly. You may want atk instead of str on giantsgall if you keep the acc gloves.

Just thinking it'd be a lot easier/cheaper to single meld giantsgall and double some bracers/gauntlets than the other way around. And then you have the option of triple str gloves (or whatever the desirable meld is in ARR) when you upgrade the axe.
    I'm currently getting 50 acc from gloves. (and 100HP)

I already have +50 acc and +36STR between my rings and gloves. I don't see much benefit from changing this unless I get gloves minimum of +40STR. and even then I'd say I probably want +50 to really be worth the swap. so if i really only get double meld gloves i'm just moving STR from rings to gloves. which i dont' see the point.

To get the same amount of accuracy, I'd need to get the LT axe and 2 +1 electrum. (be slightly higher actually) and would need to make sure i'm activating the set bonus. I could get explorers choker, but is that worth sacrificing the +30AP? I'm assuming not. the only thing i would consider swapping this for is the militia choker.

If I got a giantsgall i would put STR on it. i'm below STR cap, and would gain more benefit from that, and hitting cap, i think than getting +AP or +acc. but my sergeant axe has higher DPS. so i'd need a good double or maybe even triple meld of STR to make it worth getting over the LT axe. So i'm not sure this is worth it. I'd almost need to redo my entire gearset if i really want to get a giantsgall.

The party bonus is rumored to be going away in ARR. meaning Accuracy will be playing a much larger roll, and not just needed for Garuda or other highly evasive mobs.

Thanks for the input.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Onisake View Post
    I could get explorers choker, but is that worth sacrificing the +30AP? I'm assuming not.
    are you missing attacks? if yes, then the explorer's choker is worth it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Naomi Onisake
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly_Millions View Post
    are you missing attacks? if yes, then the explorer's choker is worth it.
    No. I have +50 acc currently. I've only parsed a few things, but i've been above 95% acc for most everything. which is good enough IMO. one of those was the skirmish with the great buffalo etc. and that was when i was lowest, and still just a hair above 95%.

I may need it if get rid of my officer gloves and get +STR gloves. but i'm pretty happy with having my Acc solid with jsut gloves and not needing to use 4+ other equipment slots to maintain it.

but most of the time i'm on WHM anyway. especially for things that matter. The general feeling i'm getting is what i have is probably good enough if i'm back-up tank.
    (0)
    Last edited by Onisake; 09-14-2012 at 06:45 AM.

Player
    Character
    Sword Coheir
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    Most things shouldn't be too difficult to cap accuracy on w/o the need of the Lominsan Officers Gloves. For the few things you might need a little touch of accuracy here or there (like maybe Xali or 5+ higher lv mobs) you can adjust your accessories and attune your accuracy to your proper needs without sacrificing your damage quite as much. The only real exception to this would probably be Garuda where accuracy holds alot more weight in that fight than others.
    (0)

Support RDM Development: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/42776-How-Would-You-Design-Red-Mage%21[/center]

Player
    Character
    Salaadin Voivode
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Hoping someone here can give me some insight into gear too. Heres my setup:

Main: Storm Lieutenants Labrys
    Head: Fighters Burgeonet
    Body: Lominsan Officers Overcoat
    Hands: Cobalt Gauntlets (2x T4 STR meld)
    Legs: Fighters Breeches
    Feet: Lominsan Officers Boots
    Waist: Cobalt Plate Belt
    Ring1: Electrum +1
    Ring2: Rubellite
    Neck: Electrum Gorget
    Wrists: Storm Sergeants Bracelets
    Ear: Storm Sergeants Earrings

Stats:
    STR 318
    VIT 277
    Atk Power 542
    ACC 384

Im still a way off from the stat caps. I plan on putting 2x STR or VIT melds on my Cobalt Plate Belt and trying to get a Rubellite Ring +1 but, after that, Im not sure where to go.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    you can't put str or vit on a belt, but you could go for some triple melded str gloves. IMO, that's the best investment you can make for war.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Bovine Butterballs
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 60
    i'm currently using

Lominsan Officer Cap (VIT/HP+30)
    Fighter's legs
    Fighter's boots
    Rubellite+1x2
    Electrum Gorget+1
    Penance (STR+2, VIT-1) // Sentinel's Plate Belt (Vit+4) Unmelded
    You have the right idea of going for acc. If wanting to swap out gloves for melded strength gloves, can use electrum rings and giantsgall axe with meld acc or the lt axe. That's what I use for small pt and solo action. Don't forget there is acc food i.e. mugwort carp.

Your hat with sanction far outweighs the fighter's burgeonet due to the vit boost. Vit isn't only an attack modifier, but adds hp and defense too.

Being that WAR wouldn't be your primary, don't worry about putting enmity jewelry on. You could put some on your belt. Remember that 10 points of enmity=1% difference. You need to stack a lot of it for it to mean something.

Dbl melded ironman's will to felt trousers is really nice and can also be used by pld or your melee dd classes if necessary. Also, you would probably hit your vit attack cap like I have with the sanctioned hat and melded felt trousers.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    i'm currently using

Lominsan Officer Cap (VIT/HP+30) - Keep Fighter's for tanking
    Fighter's legs - Try to get some Melded Felt Trousers ~+18STR/+20 VIT
    Fighter's boots - HP Melded boots would be good. Sentinel's Preferred
    Rubellite+1x2
    Electrum Gorget+1
    Penance (STR+2, VIT-1) // Sentinel's Plate Belt (Vit+4) Unmelded - Meld this with Enmity or HP

Is fighter burgeonet better than than lominsan cap? why? - It gives a bonus to Antagonize which is great for tanking 1.5x to 2.5x (something like this)
    Antagonize works for all actions so for example: Provoke @ 825 Enmity VS. Provoke @ 1375
    Quote Originally Posted by Salpal View Post
    Hoping someone here can give me some insight into gear too. Heres my setup:

Main: Storm Lieutenants Labrys
    Head: Fighters Burgeonet
    Body: Lominsan Officers Overcoat - For Hard Hitting Bosses, you'll need a HP Meld or VIT Meld Cuirass, so you'll lose your 5 piece bonus
    Hands: Cobalt Gauntlets (2x T4 STR meld)
    Legs: Fighters Breeches - Felt Trousers STR 18+/VIT 20+ (Melded)
    Feet: Lominsan Officers Boots
    Waist: Cobalt Plate Belt Melded with HP or ENM+
    Ring1: Electrum +1
    Ring2: Rubellite - HQ
    Neck: Electrum Gorget - Explorer's Choker - so you can use another HQ Rubelite Ring
    Wrists: Storm Sergeants Bracelets
    Ear: Storm Sergeants Earrings

Stats:
    STR 318
    VIT 277
    Atk Power 542
    ACC 384

Im still a way off from the stat caps. I plan on putting 2x STR or VIT melds on my Cobalt Plate Belt and trying to get a Rubellite Ring +1 but, after that, Im not sure where to go.

There's my suggestions.
    (1)
    Last edited by Judge_Xero; 10-02-2012 at 11:52 PM.
    "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's often."
    Temp Forum Ban - July 7th 2016 *** I promise to never call out scrub players again due to it causing a toxic community

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast