Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Player
    Character
    Reika Shadowheart
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80
    Another thing is, Yoshida said he didnt want us to think of Jobs as advanced classes, but that is exactly how they ended up since the roles of the class to job stay the same.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Asael K'ni'roux
    World
    Halicarnassus
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    I just wanted to add, that since the implementation of jobs I have rarely seen anyone use classes for anything...I myself solo'd on jobs extensively, sure for whm and blm it takes some time depending on mob level but it wasn't impossible...I did try to do some testing to see if I preferred using my gld over my pld, and honestly I had more fun as pld than gld...if the classes had something different to offer than jobs...or if jobs had more exclusive skills that truly allowed then to standout from classes then maybe I can see the need to have both, but imo I'll always choose jobs over classes any day. (I will say I do prefer the classes naming style over jobs...they just seem so much more exotic and sexy). My 2 gil.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Blaise Lallaise
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    You have just identified the biggest problem with classes. As it stands, there is little purpose in their existence, because they too closely resemble their job.

But the solution, which many would argue against me, is not to eliminate them. Classes need to be more diversified to allow for varying play styles. Then, and only then, can jobs fulfill their true purpose, which is to add specialization to the class (that is, to pigeonhole them into a role, so to speak). On top of that, it would also allow one class to have multiple job possibilities.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Altena Trife
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Classes are jacks of all trades, have no major defining abilities that the other classes can't use etc - allowing flexibility.

Advanced jobs have a more defining role. Have advanced job abilities which are usually found in FF lore as fairly specific abilities (such as DRG's iconic Jump, WHM's regen, etc).

I feel classes are more like a baby step before you can truly become a legendary "Dragoon" or "White Mage" as an example. You have to train as a weak Gladiator before you can be regarded an almighty Paladin. Just makes more sense, battle mechanics aside to be honest.
    (0)

Player

The unique thing about playing a pugilist was MP management (though apparently that's going away in 2.0) and taking advantage of elemental weaknesses. If you ever had a fist action turned off, you were underperforming.

Lancers could use the most weaponskills, marauders could swing between damage and tanking pretty fluently, and archers have the best hate control so they could stand there and just keep shooting.

Gladiators had the best defenses, but that was their only trick -- a poor design choice, in my opinion.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Asael K'ni'roux
    World
    Halicarnassus
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Altena View Post
    Classes are jacks of all trades, have no major defining abilities that the other classes can't use etc - allowing flexibility.

Advanced jobs have a more defining role. Have advanced job abilities which are usually found in FF lore as fairly specific abilities (such as DRG's iconic Jump, WHM's regen, etc).

I feel classes are more like a baby step before you can truly become a legendary "Dragoon" or "White Mage" as an example. You have to train as a weak Gladiator before you can be regarded an almighty Paladin. Just makes more sense, battle mechanics aside to be honest.
    Then if that be the case why have lvls at all...because honestly..as you go up in lvls...you get stronger and access to more powerful abilities and gear...this whole classes as jack of all trades is really a crock...jobs also cross abilities and they do just fine...
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Blaise Lallaise
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Altena View Post

That was the original intent. Somewhere along the way they lost their purpose. They need to return to this.
    (1)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2