Character
    Meneyota Kunyaa
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramul View Post
    Make it toggle.
    Then I could have it and you wouldn't have to see it.
    Make it toggle.... how would you make a toggle for it, a toggle that says "1.0 animation on, 2.0 animation on"? You can't "make a toggle" for everything

seriously, this is utterly baffling...
    (5)
    Last edited by Pandastirfry; 09-15-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicrous View Post
    Successful MMO market results would disagree with you. Responsive gameplay is king and was one of the biggest reasons cited for the huge embarrasing failure that was ffxiv 1.0 launch. But you can still have both! The good animations + responsive gameplay
    I mean... GW2 does it... It might be not as good as XIV when it comes to movement animation, and sometimes it might look like they float, but they did implemented inertia and leaning without sacrificing anything.

And we're talking about a game that emphasizes gameplay aspects such as dodging enemy attacks in real time here.
    (3)

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
    I mean... GW2 does it... It might be not as good as XIV when it comes to movement animation, and sometimes it might look like they float, but they did implemented inertia and leaning without sacrificing anything.

And we're talking about a game that emphasizes gameplay aspects such as dodging enemy attacks in real time here.
    Yup exactly. There is no excuse for SE to implement these poor animations.

This game will be scrutinized in ways that are unfair for a game launch because of it's bad history.

2.0 has to overdeliver, and so far they aren't doing that.
    (4)

Player

S.E. have always been fond of minimal effort so don't expect these stupid-looking animations to improve. It's funny when you see korean games pumping out so much content in their games, and S.E. struggles to even add jump, let alone swimming, or a mounting-animation, and now sadly it's come to a point where they're even degrading features already present in version 1.0 out of laziness or ineptitude, I'm not sure which.

Call it like it is.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbygunz View Post
    S.E. have always been fond of minimal effort
    They've always went above and beyond since the Famicom days, so this is un true and yes I do mean both Square and Enix.

It's funny when you see korean games pumping out so much content in their games, and S.E. struggles to even add jump
    They didn't struggle to add Jump, they chose not to initially, that's not struggling. Struggling would mean it was hurting their programmers to implement it due to being a complex feature and since Jump isn't complex, there were no struggles.
    Korean MMOs are mass produced from the same template, you download one, you've downloaded them all, the only real difference tend to be the "storyline."

and now sadly it's come to a point where they're even degrading features already present in version 1.0 out of laziness or ineptitude,
    It's neither, they're doing it to make FFXIV look and feel like a common MMORPG, that's their whole goal with ARR.
    (3)

Player

JUST WANT TO POINT OUT

...something that i have discovered : They already have done all the work to implement *at least* jumping, to what looks like the current animation of 1.0 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-TMl...tailpage#t=34s

Notice the smooth transition from stationary to running state on the human model. This should be the 1.0 animation, and it allows jumping. (awesome work by the way)

Added in OP as well.

Thoughts?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Crowne Corbeau
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
    JUST WANT TO POINT OUT

...something that i have discovered : They already have done all the work to implement *at least* jumping, to what looks like the current animation of 1.0 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-TMl...tailpage#t=34s

Notice the smooth transition from stationary to running state on the human model. This should be the 1.0 animation, and it allows jumping. (awesome work by the way)

Added in OP as well.

Thoughts?
    Yeah but those milliseconds to make that shift in weight turn is possibly a death by an Ifrit crack or whatever. They want movement that doesn't exist in real life. While it does look much more realistic, and the developers and animators realize this, it's simply not the way they want this game to play it's a very deliberate decision to sacrifice the animations for gameplay. Quick turns don't require the "slow in" and "slow out."
    (0)

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Cer View Post
    Yeah but those milliseconds to make that shift in weight turn is possibly a death by an Ifrit crack or whatever.
    You're wrong. You don't die in Ifrit because of the animation. You die because of the server lag that admittedly the game and especially this fight has, or you're simply not moving out of the way in time. Again, even GW2 implemented inertia, and its a game where you have to avoid enemy projectiles all the time.

They want movement that doesn't exist in real life. While it does look much more realistic,
    Read that again.

those milliseconds
    Also, what makes you think that a human reaction that sometimes can take up to 1.5 seconds, in a game with 200-300 ping, can be affected by the few miliseconds of maybe 50% of the final speed of the character?

And i'm not even sure that there is even a slowdown to begin with. The animation could be there, without actually slowing down the initial speed of the character. It could simply give that impression since the character does not go into the final running mode from the start. But it could be travelling towards the direction you want it at the same speed.

(I really should read and fix my posts before i submit them, not after. I edited this thing 10 times..)
    (2)
    Last edited by Nemy; 09-16-2012 at 01:45 AM.

Player
    Character
    Arkine Vanrien
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    After watching the live-letter video I can't help but agree that the missing running animations are giving the game an awkward incomplete feel. they should leave in those animations and add their equivalent to mounts.

I don't see how removing 1/10 of a second in animation can improve game-play but removing it sure ruins the whole feel of the game. (for me atleast)
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Crowne Corbeau
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    First, I should have put "While 1.0's animations are more realistic..."
    And I stand by the "they want movement that doesn't exist in real life." (Because its true, but maybe I should have been more specific, movement that you can't do on Earth as a human being.)

Secondly, maybe they truly just want the game to fail and have removed the animations out of spite. Maybe there was absolutely no reason to remove animations that have been hailed by pretty much everyone to be some of the most realistic animations in an MMO ever. Maybe the developers were just like... ya, lets work hard on everything else with excellent detail... oh those old great animations, let's just remove them without a purpose.

Having not played the game I can't say for sure whether there is a justified reason for it. I'd say play it first. Since I know you haven't, and don't know what the changes mean for mobility.
    (1)
    Last edited by Cer; 09-16-2012 at 02:04 AM.

Page 93 of 127 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 103 ... LastLast