Player
    Character
    Spikey Sato
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60

PLD Gear?

Hi guys can people give me some idea's on how to pimp out my PLD....

Atm i've been trying to get full Heavy DL but not going to well seems to have a drop rate of a Irish man hitting the floor drunk....

But any way this is what i'm wearing so Far...
    • mh ~ Ifrit's Blade
    • Head ~ Militia Armet
    • Body ~ Gallant Surcoat
    • Legs ~ Gallant Cuisses
    • Hands ~ Militia Gauntlets
    • Feet ~ Sentinel's Sabatons
    • oh ~ Thormoen's Purpose
    • Ears ~ Stonewall Earrings
    • Neck ~ Stonewall Choker
    • Wrists ~ Coral Armillae +1
    • Right Finger ~ Stonewall Ring
    • Left Finger ~ Rubellite Ring

i've been looking into crafting up some Heavy Darksteel and trying to get that maybe melded, but at the same time thats going to take for me almost as much time as just getting DL...

What do you guys advise for me to get and change out to pimp out my gear till the best i can....

Sorry for nooby question but PLD is my main but the long run at Heavy Darklight doesnt seem to be happening anytime soon, but that's my No.1 Goal... Just want some ideas on how to pimp out best i can before DL...

Thanks to everyone who takes there time and gives me some idea's

P.S. I'm from Ul'dah Grand Company ><
    (0)
    Spikey Sato
    CEO ~ Project Evolutionz
    Gamer of the Year 2010/2011, Walked Away First Place

Yes I'm Irish, Yes I Drink Alot & Yes I Do Play A Lalafell On FFXIV! What's Your Point?

Spikey's Gaming Work -> http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4359860/

Player
    Character
    Stu Foo
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    You have pretty much zero accuracy, that's going to suck on anything important. Ul'dah doesn't give us any good gear either, and the Lt. weapon is spectacularly awful.

For weapon, look into Moogle, Giantsgall with enmity or accuracy, or Garuda's.

Offhand, I preferred VKS+1 with 120 HP until I got relic. Thormoen's is sad because it removes materia slots, whether you prefer DEF or HP.

Head is fine, but Cobalt Celata with more 35~40 MND is also great for general use instead of hard tanking.

Body is fine, the cover enhance is nice, but sometimes you want Cobalt with HP or VIT (or Militia), like Chimera and Coincounter

Legs are awful, AF pants are unusable and should be replaced with Felt trousers +1 with STR/VIT or HP materia asap, and if you get really lucky, Militia Trousers.

Hands are fine.

Feet are fine.

Ears are fine as well, but the neck should be replaced with Militia Choker as soon as you can afford it.

For wrists, you also want to have Raptorskin Wristbands +1, and you'll switch between them based on the fight. (Enmity+ for princess/miser/etc, and HP+60 for burst damage incoming, like Chim and Coin)

You forgot the belt slot, but you'll be using Cobalt or Sentinel belts with HP and Enmity both (same rules as wrists apply, but you can get higher enmity in this slot so it's better to wear enmity more often than wrists)

For rings, you'll be using accuracy because missing weaponskills is a large dent in your enmity generation. You want to aim for 400~ accuracy for everything but garuda and ifrit (extreme), which need considerably more. Rings help this the most with the smallest tradeoff (outside of curtana, I guess)
    (7)
    Last edited by Stufoo; 08-30-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Player
    Character
    Will Brannigan
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 80
    Buy a Flame Sergeant's Sash and stick it in your pocket. It's good to have around and costs jack shit. Pick up an Explorer's Choker or Militia Choker if you can.

Heavy Darksteel armor is class only. You can use it on Gladiator but not Paladin. Do not invest in this.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Stufoo View Post
    Body is fine, the cover enhance is nice, but sometimes you want Cobalt with HP or VIT (or Militia), like Chimera and Coincounter
    Don't put VIT on a chest piece for PLD, DEF is vastly more beneficial.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Sounsyy Mirke
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    MH~ Mogblade is my personal preference. That +30 acc helps me avoid using two acc rings in most fights. Garuda is also good if you have it on farm. I'd probably swap out my mogblade for a Giantsgall sword with acc IV materia on it tho. Higher dps and mnd+5 is nice.

OH~ Go hq kite or vintage kite shield. Get a double meld of hp or def, it's personal preference really.

Head~ What you've got is pretty good helm. Another good option is Cobalt Celata. Try to get 30+ MND on it. This helps you to get to your MND cap and frees up another ring slot.

Body~ Gallant is a good piece as well, I carry it in my inventory for fights I know I'll need mp refresh. I'd say try to get a Militia Cuirass(HP,VIT,MND+), but you can also get a Cobalt Cuirass+1 and stack HP on it. Good piece if you're working towards an HP build.

Hands~ Militia are good til you can get HDL gloves.

Waist~ Cobalt plate belt with double meld of hp or enmity. If you want to try to double meld a sentinel go for it lol.

Legs~ Militia Trousers drop from Hyrstmill and are a great leg piece. Imo better than HDL flanchard unless you're going for an enmity build. Until then, I'd say get Felt Trousers and double meld str/vit(ironman's will). Or hp if you're building an HP set. (str/vit is more beneficial in this slot tho.)

Feet~ Imo Sentinel's sabatons with 1 or 2 HP materia on it is better than militia sabatons. It boils down to which you think is more important: 3mnd, 2acc VS. 9 enm.

Ears~ Stonewall. Or if you're good enough to have White Ravens.

Neck~ Go for a Militia Choker. You can farm Gold Bazaar or buy in AH. Explorer's Choker is another good option.

Wrists~ What you've got is as good as it gets. Can get Raptorskin+1 if again you're going for HP build. But I prefer the armillae.

Rings~ Rings are really dependent upon the rest of your gear. You should always have 2 hq electrum rings in your inventory and swap them in if you find you can't hit your target. If you have mogblade or curtana or giantsgall with acc on it, you can get away with only having to equip one for most boss fights. Get a MND ring if you're far away from mnd cap. Having the +30-40mnd cobalt celata usually keeps you from having to have a mnd ring. So, if you're capped on MND and your ACC is in a nice spot, equip two hq STR rings. This'll boost your dmg output and your enm generation, and you can just swap in the electrum rings when you need the acc.
    (7)
    Last edited by Sounsyy; 08-31-2012 at 12:33 AM.

Player
    Character
    Stu Foo
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly_Millions View Post
    Don't put VIT on a chest piece for PLD, DEF is vastly more beneficial.
    20 VIT is 13 defense, helps magical damage taken as well (numbers are fuzzy), 10 block power, and 20 HP.

20 Defense is 20 Defense.

Stop posting.
    (14)

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    20 VIT is 13 defense, helps magical damage taken as well (numbers are fuzzy), 10 block power, and 20 HP.
    Block power is pretty much worthless, as is 20 hp. Out of the two block related stats, block rate is more important. Def is both magical damage taken and physical, I believe, but I'm looking for test results.

20 Defense is 20 Defense.
    20 VIT is 13 defense.
    You are proving my point for me here. Assuming your math is correct, 20 DEF is worth 30.77 VIT in terms of defense.

Use VIT for WAR gear, use DEF for PLD if you want damage mitigation.
    (1)
    Last edited by Molly_Millions; 08-31-2012 at 01:52 AM.

Player
    Character
    Stu Foo
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Def is both magical damage taken and physical, I believe
    Stop posting when you only believe stuff, that's your problem. VIT is both physical and magical, Defense is not magical that's what resistance is for and why there's an entire subsection of materia called elemental veil. Do you have any clue how this game works? Why would they need an extra trait on protect to lower magical damage as well if defense (what you get from protect) mitigated it in the first place?

Stop posting.
    (12)

Player
    Character
    Sword Coheir
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    I'd honestly upgrade with these options in mind.

MH: Garuda's Gaze, Giantsgall Longsword, Mog Blade, Lieutenant's Weapon, Sergeant's Weapon (Ifrit's Decent but it's the lowest on the End Game Weaponry)
    OH: Thormoen's Purpose / Vintage Kite Shield +1 (Def Meld)
    Helm: Cobalt/Sentinels Celata (MND Meld) (Try for a 30 Minimum at least)
    Body: Cobalt Cuirass (VIT or Def Meld, your pick) (Aim for 30+ as well)
    Gloves: Cobalt/Sentinel's Gauntlets (STR Meld) (Again aim for 30+)
    Legs: Militia Trousers / Felt Trousers (STR/VIT Meld) (Try to get at least 15 STR/VIT)
    Feet: Sentinel's/Cobalt Sabatons (Meld w/e you want, feet materia options are horrible)
    Waist: Cobalt/Sentinel's Plate Belt (Aim for 40+ Enmity)

And upgrade to the best undies and undershirt you can find or get made. A few def is a few def no matter how you look at it.

Accessories:
    Ear: Stonewall Earrings / Raven's Earring
    Neck: Militia Choker / Explorer's Choker
    Wrist: Coral Armillae / Raptorskin Bracelet
    Rings: Rubellite Ring +1 x2 / Electrum Ring +1 x2

Block power is pretty much worthless, as is 20 hp. Out of the two block related stats, block rate is more important. Def is both magical damage taken and physical, I believe, but I'm looking for test results.
    Negative, defense only impacts physical damage, VIT however affects all non-DoT damage taken. It's actually a toss up either way tbh, VIT doesn't quite benefit mitigation as well as straight Defense, but it offers magical resistance in return and boosts your Enhancement Magic Potency (which actually scales pretty good in this game) making Stoneskin/Protect and other magic buffs stronger in turn.
    (2)

Support RDM Development: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/42776-How-Would-You-Design-Red-Mage%21[/center]

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordCoheir View Post
    Negative, defense only impacts physical damage, VIT however affects all non-DoT damage taken. It's actually a toss up either way tbh, VIT doesn't quite benefit mitigation as well as straight Defense, but it offers magical resistance in return and boosts your Enhancement Magic Potency (which actually scales pretty good in this game) making Stoneskin/Protect and other magic buffs stronger in turn.
    Do you have test results or know where I can find some? Because I haven't seen any tests for DEF. I've seen them for VIT, but not for DEF. Without test results, this is an assumption.
    (0)

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast