Thread: PLD Gear?

Player
    Character
    Sounsyy Mirke
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Would you two please stop. You're in every PLD thread calling each other idiots. We got that you two don't agree with each other the first ten threads. Neither of you are attempting to answer the OP's question or offer helpful information. The OP was asking for gear options, not the size of your respective dicks. Either post your gear setup that you think is appropriate or START your own thread specifically for the two of you to go at each other.
    (11)

Player
    Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    You're right. I meant to do just that, and I will. Don't yell at me if Ace disagrees though lol

mh ~ Ifrit's Blade>> Garuda's
    Head ~ Militia Armet >> Good call for now
    Body ~ Gallant Surcoat >> Good call when you don't have a BRD
    Legs ~ Gallant Cuisses >> Drop for HP legs (x2 meld if possible)
    Hands ~ Militia Gauntlets >> Good for now
    Feet ~ Sentinel's Sabatons >> Great choice as well.
    oh ~ Thormoen's Purpose >> Use a Kite Shield with HPx2 melds if you can afford it. Otherwise you're ok for now.
    Ears ~ Stonewall Earrings >> Fine.
    Neck ~ Stonewall Choker >> Upgrade to Militia Choker when you get it.
    Wrists ~ Coral Armillae +1 >> Raptorskin Wristlets +1 when you can afford it.
    Right Finger ~ Stonewall Ring >> Good unless you need the accuracy.
    Left Finger ~ Rubellite Ring >> Electrum Ring +1. You're no good if you don't hit stuff.

Pretty much similar to what was already suggested.
    (1)
    Draw swords and shatter shields with us!
    Apply to Neutral Impact today!

http://www.impact-gaming.us

Player

This is my current gear, and a build I personally recomend, not where I would like to stop however.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Stu Foo
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceofspades View Post
    Who needs accuracy? Not me! I don't do anything besides skirmish.

Who needs enmity? Not me! My DDs are even worse geared than I am and just as stupid.
    Oh okay, thanks bro
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyJorildyn View Post
    You know, I had actually seen that before. I read the hell out of that blog when I was researching my materia hierarchy for PLD. At the time, I concluded that physical damage reduction was more important than reducing magical damage taken, and due to the increasing returns from DEF (due to dlvl) physical damage reduction was easier to accomplish, and therefore a more realistic approach. Compound that with the fact that PLD doesn't get a damage increase from adding VIT like WAR does and the choice of DEF over VIT was simple. However, at the time I didn't account for the fact that VIT would increase the effectiveness of stoneskin, because I personally don't use it much on my PLD.
    (2)
    Last edited by Molly_Millions; 08-31-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceofspades View Post
    This is my current gear, and a build I personally recomend, not where I would like to stop however.
    Nice build. High defense and the ability to reduce 50%+ of damage with Divine Veil.

The only thing I could recommend is to change your Gauntlets. In your case 26+ Dex would be much better because it would add the same Block Rate, but you would get accuracy as well.

Explorers Choker is good in place of the Stonewall as well, and I'm sure you're waiting to grab yourself a Militia Choker for that extra 3% Enmity

Since you will be doing so little damage, you're going to need all the accuracy you can get.

From looking at the charts on "Block" Dlvl has little effect now as far as %

The stats are:
    0.2% Reduction per 1 Block stat
    0.1% Reduction per 1 Vit Stat (Is there a cap on VIT?)

The formula works a bit different though for anything at or above your level.

So for Ace (Vintage Kite Shield @ 120 Block ='s 24%)
    Assuming there's no cap on VIT: @ 374 VIT.

Here's where it gets strange. You basically take 100 VIT off the top, so 274, and that get's you roughly in the range of what your benefit is. So 27%

For a grand total of 51% +- 6% depending on Dlvl.

Quote Originally Posted by ssppiikkeeyy View Post
    • mh ~ Ifrit's Blade - (Giantsgall Longsword, or Moogle)
    • Head ~ Militia Armet - (Good) or (Cobalt Celata melded with MND)
    • Body ~ Gallant Surcoat - (Cobalt Cuirass (HP + VIT), melded with VIT, or (Cobalt Hauby (STR + Acc), melded with VIT)
    • Legs ~ Gallant Cuisses - (Felt Trousers melded with either STR/VIT or VIT/DEX)
    • Hands ~ Militia Gauntlets (Good) or (Cobalt Gauntlets with STR)
    • Feet ~ Sentinel's Sabatons - (Meld yours with HP) or (Explorers Sabatons) or (Milita Sabatons) or (Darklight)
    • oh ~ Thormoen's Purpose (Good) or (Vintage Kite Shield HQ +5 MND, with HP or Def)
    • Ears ~ Stonewall Earrings (Good) or (Rosegold Earring, MP+HP)
    • Neck ~ Stonewall Choker (Explorers or Militia Choker)
    • Wrists ~ Coral Armillae +1 (Raptorskin Bracelet HQ)
    • Right Finger ~ Stonewall Ring (Electrum Ring HQ)
    • Left Finger ~ Rubellite Ring (Good)

** Tuna Miq'abob is great food - Accuracy and STR
    Your biggest upgrades will be Felt Trousers with a good Double Meld and a stronger weapon.

For the Gladiator Guild being in Ul'dah, they really get crappy Grand Company stuff
    (0)
    Last edited by Judge_Xero; 09-01-2012 at 04:52 AM.
    "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's often."
    Temp Forum Ban - July 7th 2016 *** I promise to never call out scrub players again due to it causing a toxic community

Player
    Character
    Arkine Vanrien
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Man... all did thread do was confuse me even more about PLD stats. (lol)

My stuff.

Cobalt Winglet +25 acc
    Thoemon's
    Militia Armet
    AF body
    Sent gauntlets +60HP (trying for militia)
    Cobalt belt +33 enmity
    Felt trousers 19STR/21VIT
    Sent Sabatons +60HP
    Militia Choker
    Rub+1 Ring.
    Elec+1 Ring.
    (0)
    Last edited by Arkine; 09-01-2012 at 04:49 AM.

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkine View Post
    The problem is that there are a couple different ways you can gear a PLD and be successful. We all don't agree on what's best.

My stuff.

Cobalt Winglet +25 acc
    Thoemon's
    Militia Armet
    AF body
    Cobalt belt +33 enmity
    Sent Sabatons +60HP
    Militia Choker
    Rub+1 Ring.
    Elec+1 Ring.
    I would swap that AF body for a melded one or the Militia Cuirass the 13 MND on that one is hard to beat. That's what I'm currently using, but I plan on eventually replacing it with an HQ one melded with +60 or more HP and two tier III defense materia for an extra ~25 DEF (34 extra DEF if you include the extra DEF from HQ).

If you go the VIT route like some suggest in this thread, I have a triple melded NQ Cobalt Cuirass for sale in the wards with 21 VIT and 12 DEF for 5 mil. I believe my retainer is in the Aromrfitters Row or Upper Tailer's Row in uldah currently. Look for Buymetoys in one of the stands.
    (0)
    Last edited by Molly_Millions; 09-01-2012 at 05:18 AM.

Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60

My stuff.

Cobalt Winglet +25 acc
    Thoemon's
    Militia Armet
    AF body
    Cobalt belt +33 enmity
    Sent Sabatons +60HP
    Militia Choker
    Rub+1 Ring.
    Elec+1 Ring.
    It does get complicated because there's so many different builds.
    There's not a "Best" build either.
    If you find you are good at tanking a certain way, you can pretty much build your PLD that way.

Your build is good. There's a good balance of HP, ENM, STR, VIT, Accuracy. It's when you get into speed runs and tough bosses where you'll have to become a bit more specialized.

There's Ace that has high defense and block. So he can take a beating and wont have to move much to hold hate. (VIT, DEF, Block, Block Rate)

I rely on high damage to keep hate, and my battle log to dodge attacks. (battle log is faster than animations) (STR, MND, ATK, Accuracy or STR, VIT, ATK, Accuracy) Sometimes I need to lose a bit of damage to add a bit of Def and Block)

Some others stack HP and Enmity.

Each will have it's benefits and weaknesses, but it's whatever you like really. You just need to understand how you like to tank, then understand the stats to support that, and then build it.
    (3)
    Last edited by Judge_Xero; 09-01-2012 at 05:32 AM.
    "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's often."
    Temp Forum Ban - July 7th 2016 *** I promise to never call out scrub players again due to it causing a toxic community

Player
    Character
    Kestiel Rholmar
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    For those advocating DEF stacking for anything but trash mobs (ie, not any bosses) please have a read: http://kanican.livejournal.com/55915.html

Note particularly the amount of DEF required to make much of a dent in the amount of damage mitigated on a Lv58 mob such as Ifrit (afaik - and please correct me if I'm wrong - most bosses are around Lv58). I haven't seen anything to suggest that this has changed either, it's long but it's a good read. If you want to skim just read the bolded purple and red text and you'll get the gist of the information.

Essentially the issue is DEF increases its utility the closer it gets to the cap for that particular dLVL. This means that it's also less effective when it's further from its cap. Adding a 10DEF when it's far from the cap will do very little to mitigate damage, while adding 10DEF closer to cap will do a much larger degree of mitigation. The more dLVL there is, the further away the cap is and the less effect DEF has on mitigating damage.
    (6)
    It's time to mow the threads. While the posts may be greener in another thread please, and I can't believe I'm saying this, please keep all posts of Final Fantasy XIV's grass to the original thread. Thank you.

~GM Baudle

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast