Player
    Character
    Naomi Fordragon
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50

Like to see changes for PLD

Hey guys, have not been playing PLD for a super long time but its not hard to see they lack really bad in the tank department.

First off we need and aoe taunt that isn't a 1min/500tp CD, 30sec is ok but 1min is just too much considering how fast parties are.

Second I think we should have a trait that makes it so every ability we doe does 200-300% more enmity then anybody else. Heal, attack, buff, ect.

Third I would maybe like to see flash do a small dot that has pretty good enmity backing it so its not such a joke, 1 arrow and its like I didn't do anything to the mob. Also something else that could work is make it so flash makes it so the mob can only attack you for like 6-10 seconds (like how most taunts in other games work).

Anything else someone wants to add to this list?

I just find PLD probably the hardest class of any game I have ever played to tank with, I don't mind having to work to tank and I don't want 1 attack and afk because I wont lose threat. Just make it so I don't feel so bloody helpless to peel a mob off someone.

Also if any of these changes are in 2.0 let me know =P
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Resa Nome
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    I think we're fine single target and the go-to for end-game bosses both for our survivability and enmity generation and don't really need any changes centered around this. I think the biggest problem for the class is the lack of AE damage. We simply need an answer to Steel Cyclone to fill the role of tank in all situations just as Warrior enjoys right now.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Orophin Calmcacil
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Campaign for the return of Circle Blade and Paladin is golden. :P
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Orophin View Post
    Campaign for the return of Circle Blade and Paladin is golden. :P
    It was Circle Slash, but yeah, I agree.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Sounsyy Mirke
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    First off we need and aoe taunt that isn't a 1min/500tp CD
    Flash. 30s, Blinds targets.

we should have a trait that makes it so every ability we doe does 200-300% more enmity
    I have very little trouble holding hate against decently geared DRGs, BLMs, MNKs in burn mode as it is. Is there room for improvement? Always. But a 10-15% passive bonus would be more than enough. All you need to do is figure out a good hate rotation and pack in some enmity gear when needed. ENM+50~100 is usually more than enough to hold hate against most mobs and players. For harder endgame bosses, during speed runs, or against extremely well geared DPS, you will probably need 100+ so that you aren't holding your party back from victory.

1 arrow and its like I didn't do anything to the mob.
    I hope this is exaggeration, but if it isn't... Flash > Provoke > Aegis Boon > Phalanx > (Sentinel >) Spirits Within. Then follow up with the rest of your hate rotation. I usually try to get in a Flat Blade before my Flash/Voke timers are up again. I guarantee you won't lose hate in the beginning unless your party is really trying.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with OP. Paladin excels in tanking. You're just starting out and just learning your job. Paladin is a job that requires a fair bit of practice, but it could also be that your tanking preference just lies with warrior. Some people just can't tank on paladin to save their lives but have no problem on warrior, and vice versa.
    (7)
    Last edited by Sounsyy; 08-28-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Player
    Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    I also disagree, insofar as the game developers desire to maintain a "shit's situational" attitude. PLD has its place, as does WAR. Neither excels at tanking in all situations, so each has its place in end game. Right now, WAR more-or-less dominates in terms of quantity of fights, but what PLD brings to the table in terms of quality tanking in the few encounters it is appropriate for, allows it to shine well beyond WAR.

The issue that is often skirted for PLD is its complexity compared to WAR. While it's not that hard once you get it down, the learning curve is steeper than WAR tanking. This creates large distinction between a bad paladin and a good paladin, and even a good paladin and a great paladin, although the difference is more nuanced in the latter comparison. We used to talk about that on these forums but that argument seems to have been swept under the rug. With watered-down content and easier encounters being demanded by the masses, people seem to be moving towards a "change the class for me" attitude. Unfortunately the "learn2play" quip doesn't quite hold the same weight in the FF community, and sometimes it would be nice if it did.
    (0)
    Draw swords and shatter shields with us!
    Apply to Neutral Impact today!

http://www.impact-gaming.us

Player
    Character
    Sounsyy Mirke
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Edit: I just saw that you're a GLA in the 40s. Yes, it is very hard to tank in experience points parties before lv. 48 when Flash becomes AOE. Most experience points parties are just burning and you can't honestly compete at those levels. You will have a much easier time tanking when you reach 50. I agree that Circle Slash would be a great addition to GLA for those levels you don't have aoe flash.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Vanithan Plainswalker
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Sounsyy View Post
    Some people just can't tank on paladin to save their lives but have no problem on warrior, and vice versa.
    I very much agree with this, as it fits my experiences. When pld first came out I jumped in head first and got it down pretty quickly, making myself a rock solid tank in any situation. Sure it would be nice to have an AoE weapon skill again so we're not sitting around waiting for cd's and actually feel like we're contributing, but its not needed.

Truth be told I've been tanking on both war and pld since they came out and while I excel at pld tanking, you give me an axe and I'm about as useless as a dead tank simply because I cannot grasp how to survive on a war where as pld survival came to me like second nature.
    (2)
    Last edited by Tman; 08-28-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Tman View Post
    you give me an axe and I'm about as useless as a dead tank simply because I cannot grasp how to survive on a war where as pld survival came to me like second nature.
    Use bloodbath right before steel cyclone when adds are around, you'll get a ton of HP back, also 2nd wind is your friend keep it on your top bar.
    (1)
    Last edited by Molly_Millions; 08-28-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Player
    Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Use Bloodbath with spirits within for extra winsauce.
    (0)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast