Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceofspades View Post
    I know, but in order for it to be worth a damn you must meet two reqs

1) you must need HP, wich in turn means your SW will do less damage anyways

2) you must do decent damage, wich is not PLD's strong point.
    BB on Spirits is fine. It's not like @ 70% HP your Spirits Within only does 1/2 damage. It's maybe like 15-20% difference.
    Plus Spirits and BB have the same cooldown, so why not use it?
    Here's a glimps of my 2nd Ability Row
    [Phalanx][Spirits Within][Bloodbath][Wardrum]

PLD may not be top of the list for damage, but when built as a DD it's nothing to laugh about. 600+ Spirits Within on Garuda at only 50% health is decent, and I'm far from hitting cap on STR.

I'm planning to be able to hit for around 700 on Ifrit, when I get a better weapon and some Darklight.
    Already in the high 5's with Giantsgal and 300 to MND and STR. A Critical is like OMFG

With that said, I think the current system is good enough. There's a cap on how much Enmity the lowest person has vs. the highest and I think that leaves plenty of room to build hate back up (least I've managed too on a few occasions).
    I think that the ceiling is 27000ish. Going from 0-27000 before the boss 1 shots all the mages is pretty rough. Not every fight will be like that, but making up for 5 minutes of Nuking and Healing in a few seconds is impossible.

Just why give WHM's an instant Raise ability, when it's a wipe anyways.

It would be funny to see a fight with two PLD. They could cycle Sentinel, Cover and Divine Veil to negate like 70% of damage over a whole fight. Then if one died, the other will still have hate.
    (1)
    Last edited by Judge_Xero; 08-30-2012 at 02:00 AM.
    "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's often."
    Temp Forum Ban - July 7th 2016 *** I promise to never call out scrub players again due to it causing a toxic community

Player
    Character
    Sounsyy Mirke
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Um, so you can raise a downed party member in 1 second and get back to healing so your tank doesn't die too?

fight with two PLD.
    Would love to have fights requiring multiple tanks again like in XI.
    (1)
    Last edited by Sounsyy; 08-30-2012 at 02:05 AM.

Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Sounsyy View Post
    Um, so you can raise a downed party member in 1 second and get back to healing so your tank doesn't die too?
    Lol thanks. I was thinking more in the sense of when the Tank is already dead.
    (0)
    Temp Forum Ban - July 7th 2016 *** I promise to never call out scrub players again due to it causing a toxic community

Player
    Character
    Alindalia Finrandi
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 60
    Circle Slash for AOE.
    Make Outmaneuver a trait instead of an ability.
    Fix Sentinel to affect ALL actions instead of just damage.
    (2)
    (My current Free Company) officially states that, (Current Free Company) does not share, condone, support or otherwise endorse what I have to say. (Current Free Company) shall be held harmless and indemnified. Your consent to this agreement is assumed by reading this post.

Player
    Character
    Sounsyy Mirke
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    the Tank is already dead.
    Oh... yeah... Lol if your tank is down best hope your blms can nuke boss down before wipe. Only non-OP way I can see to fix that would be having two tanks. Maybe such content will be available or necessary in 2.0.
    (0)

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Xero View Post
    BB on Spirits is fine. It's not like @ 70% HP your Spirits Within only does 1/2 damage. It's maybe like 15-20% difference.
    Plus Spirits and BB have the same cooldown, so why not use it?
    Here's a glimps of my 2nd Ability Row
    [Phalanx][Spirits Within][Bloodbath][Wardrum]

PLD may not be top of the list for damage, but when built as a DD it's nothing to laugh about. 600+ Spirits Within on Garuda at only 50% health is decent, and I'm far from hitting cap on STR.

I'm planning to be able to hit for around 700 on Ifrit, when I get a better weapon and some Darklight.
    Already in the high 5's with Giantsgal and 300 to MND and STR. A Critical is like OMFG

I think that the ceiling is 27000ish. Going from 0-27000 before the boss 1 shots all the mages is pretty rough. Not every fight will be like that, but making up for 5 minutes of Nuking and Healing in a few seconds is impossible.

It would be funny to see a fight with two PLD. They could cycle Sentinel, Cover and Divine Veil to negate like 70% of damage over a whole fight. Then if one died, the other will still have hate.
    Please understand, I do not wish to discredit your ideals. Basicly what you are atempting to do is strengthen a quality that is naturaly weak to PLD. There is abosolutly nothing wrong with this. But just like each job and class , everything has a place in battle. A DPS strong pld dose offer an element to a fight, but not one of great value in a party vs boss set up. maybe in a pvp set up can this tatic be of value, but when elements of battle can be controlled simply be each maintaining their role in the fight, it is safe to asume that it best serves the group if one strengthens their indivdual role in that party set up. PLD is un deniably the strongest 1v1 player v boss tank in the game. Highest damage mitigation , strongest enmity hold and great party supporter. Its undeniable weakness, however, is DPS. Naturally weak to the realm of DD , pld makes up for lack of dd by geting great enmity returns off of much less DPS as compaired to its WAR counterpart. This is possable due to non dps enmity multipliers and abilities that retain strong , fast enmity, but dose not deal damage. To try and counter this aspect on PLD, where possable, will take alot of sacrafice in damage mitigation.

That being said, GLD would be the most simple and obvious answer to PVP if you wish to keep your sword and shield, not quite a PLD but requires less sacrifice for higher dps output.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceofspades View Post
    Please understand, I do not wish to discredit your ideals. Basicly what you are atempting to do is strengthen a quality that is naturaly weak to PLD. There is abosolutly nothing wrong with this. But just like each job and class , everything has a place in battle. A DPS strong pld dose offer an element to a fight, but not one of great value in a party vs boss set up. maybe in a pvp set up can this tatic be of value, but when elements of battle can be controlled simply be each maintaining their role in the fight, it is safe to asume that it best serves the group if one strengthens their indivdual role in that party set up. PLD is un deniably the strongest 1v1 player v boss tank in the game. Highest damage mitigation , strongest enmity hold and great party supporter. Its undeniable weakness, however, is DPS. Naturally weak to the realm of DD , pld makes up for lack of dd by geting great enmity returns off of much less DPS as compaired to its WAR counterpart. This is possable due to non dps enmity multipliers and abilities that retain strong , fast enmity, but dose not deal damage. To try and counter this aspect on PLD, where possable, will take alot of sacrafice in damage mitigation.

That being said, GLD would be the most simple and obvious answer to PVP if you wish to keep your sword and shield, not quite a PLD but requires less sacrifice for higher dps output.
    No worries. For the way I like to play Paladin, STR, ATK, VIT and Accuracy are the most important stats.

I focus on a couple key concepts of PLD:

1) Low Cooldowns on WS's
    2) 100% Block Rate from Divine Veil
    3) Combo Multi's are capped at a low MND value so not a priority

So keeping damage high, and stacking VIT for Block + High Block on shield is my priority.
    So IMO, it's a perfectly reasonable way to make a PLD tank.

It's a little strange to me that someone would gear it differently except for Kiting
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Duelle Urelle
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Orophin View Post
    One might call it watering things down, but I kinda wish Provoke/Flash worked like WoW (back when I played anyway) and put you 10% above in threat the person currently with threat. Or at least streamline it to function like PUG's taunt and put the monster on you so that you can try to build enough threat in that time to keep it on you.
    What made it work in WoW is that taunts were singular (as of WotLK every tank had one with the exception of warriors, who had three). You'd have to make Provoke G.Axe-exclusive, turn Flash back into a single-target ability and make it sword-exclusive, and then make the change. I personally wouldn't mind PLD getting two new attacks to replace what would be "lost" in changing Provoke and Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordCoheir View Post
    Problem with that system is PLD and WAR would have to fight that much harder to keep up with the decay. For example, if PLD and DD's were both losing 100 Enmity a tick the PLD is doing 88 damage AA and the DD's are doing 150 the PLD isn't really building Enmity he's just struggling to combat the Enmity Decay while the DD's are building it at a steady rate.
    This assumes that enmity decay would be the same across the board, which isn't always the case. You could flag a tank to have reduced decay. Conversely, you can flag all non-tank classes to produce reduced enmity within certain parameters (either through traits or for maintaining a certain distance from the mob).

The problem with caps is that once you hit the cap there's nowhere to go.
    (0)
    Last edited by Duelle; 08-31-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    * The sad thing is that FFXIV turned RDM into a turret, and people think that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to combine sword and magic into something more, not spend the bulk of gameplay spamming spells and jump into melee for only 3 GCDs before scurrying back to the back line like good little casters.
    * Design ideas:
    Red Mage - COMPLETE (https://tinyurl.com/y6tsbnjh), Chemist - Second Pass (https://tinyurl.com/ssuog88), Thief - First Pass (https://tinyurl.com/vdjpkoa), Rune Fencer - First Pass (https://tinyurl.com/y3fomdp2)

Player
    Character
    Hamtaro Kakamaro
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    The only thing I want in Pld is more HP, not from gear, but in a form of a trait. Everything else seems fine to me.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sword Coheir
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelle View Post
    The problem with caps is that once you hit the cap there's nowhere to go.
    Well the current Enmity doesn't technically "Cap" perse, basically it's the maximum allowable divide between the target with the most Enmity and the one with the Lowest. Considering everyone who's not just standing around is constantly building Enmity, and most mobs do not have excessive HP even the best PLD's don't really reach said cap unless the fight becomes horrendously drawn out and someone dies.
    (0)

Support RDM Development: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/42776-How-Would-You-Design-Red-Mage%21[/center]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast