Character
    Marka Ragnos
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80

Gear for Ifrit Extreme

Hey everyone,

As my group is nearing the encounter itself, I'm trying to prepare myself with the appropriate gear. According to videos, tanks seem to roll with PLD AF chest piece for the mana I assume. With ifrit hitting that hard should i stack more health or have a healthy balance of def/health?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Stu Foo
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    The Gallant Surcoat is for party setups without ballad, as it's the only other reasonable way to restore MP. It's not needed though, I go with HDL Armor, one WHM, one BRD (with ballad body) and Succor as often as possible and never even begin to have MP issues. You need one or the other, as MP is the most precious resource in the fight. Also, make sure your Divine Veil is not wasted on special attack phases, and pair Outmaneuver with it always.

Once you hit the 4300-4400 total HP mark you'll be fine. His only attacks towards you are swipes which hit for around 1000~1200, and Vulcan Burst which is around 600. Most strategies do have the PLD on the edges to eat the outside ring plume and with lower HP it can become dangerous if you aren't in the right spot and get two plumes under you. Generally save Aegis Boon for badly timed plume hits so his follow up doesn't kill you, or if your WHM is chased particularly far away, and heal yourself constantly.

Ifrit is not too evasive, but it's imperative that you have enough accuracy. Most melees are fine with 400, tuna, and full party, and I am fine with 422 accuracy and full party bonus. Spirits Within is an important foothold over melees after jumps so missing phalanx is painful, and missing your combo on the nail can be even more so.

Outside of that, you'll want to gear for enmity so you can secure it faster after a jump and to generally hold it off your assumed high output damage dealers. The majority of your enmity in this fight will be healing and provoke/flash so it's nice. I do about 20-30 provoke/flashes, 13,000 damage to Ifrit, and 40,000 healing on a normal win.

Basically, HP, enmity, and just enough accuracy. I don't really focus on defense but most pieces are generous, I have about 760 defense and 320 vit.
    (6)