Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player

PLD v WAR Re-Balancing in A Realm Reborn / 2.0?

Hi Devs =)

Fantastic job on all the updates and I am super stoked to play 2.0. Top-Class performance in resurrecting the current game and as a long time FF and MMO fan, A Relam Reborn / 2.0 is looking to be the greatest game ever.

That said, in the most recent Letter from the Producer, it was stated that Job Actions and Abilities will be changed in 2.0.

I would really love some clarification/verification about this. I play as a tank main, and while PLD is my favorite job, I have been playing WAR almost exclusively. I think Its just better in almost every regard.

So after much debate I set my sights on the Relic Axe (Bravura). I am about to drop more gil than I have ever spent before, anticipating that WAR will continue to be superior to PLD the way it is now, in my opinion.

However, with the latest letter saying Job Actions will be changed, I am hesitant. Can a dev or rep please just confirm that Job Actions for these classes WILL be changed in 2.0?

I Choose WAR for Antagonize, Collusion, enhanced Provoke, Vengeance, and of course greater dmg and HP. If it turns out that PLD will have equivalent abilities, Im definitely going to re-think which relic I choose.

I would love for you to tell me that PLD will have abilities that increase enmity generated (Antagonize), absorb Enmity from other party members (Collusion), or something of the sort (Not the bonus to dmg enmity like Sentinel).

I will be satisfied if you at least confirm that Job Abilities and Class Actions will be changed for WAR and PLD in 2.0.

Thx =) Keep up the great work!
    (1)
    Last edited by R0ssdaddy; 08-17-2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Typos

Player
    Character
    Will Brannigan
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 80
    From the video that's floating around out there it looks like classes might be undergoing some pretty drastic changes (though it could have been just some pre-alpha debugging stuff). That said, right now I don't really see a reason to use warrior on a lot of things. It's good on Garuda, Ifrit, and Myrmidon Princess, but for everything else I think paladin is equal or better. I can't really see a warrior ever tanking Ifrit Extreme (if anyone has a video of this I'd love to see it though) or Nael Deus Darnus hard mode. Paladin's also better on Chimera.

Warrior is great for stuff like strongholds and soloing, but paladin has a lot of tools that help on weak stuff as well. Cover, Holy Succor, Shield Bash, and Rampart are all great.

Also regarding your relic choice, if you're only going for 1 you should choose the one for the class you want to play most. I think paladin is a lot better than warrior on current content, but there should be a much greater variety of content in 2.0, so going off of current balance probably won't work even if they don't change actions.

I agree with this guy
    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    (2)
    Last edited by Brannigan; 08-17-2012 at 04:39 AM.

Player
    Character
    Orophin Calmcacil
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Different strokes for different folks I guess. I prefer Paladin in single target encounters, but if lots of AOE or more damage for a speed run is needed, that's when I tend to play Warrior.

Just my opinion, but if you prefer one class over the other, that's the one you should focus on for your relic. Each tank has their niches but as of right now I would say neither is significantly better than the other. Paladin was my favorite job in FFXI so it's my preference to play it when it's not more beneficial to play Warrior.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kuma Akuma
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Ifrit Extreme with War tank. I would like to see a video of that :]
    (1)
    (>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ_ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ_ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ_ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Player
    Character
    Resa Nome
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    My only real concern with the direction things are going is that while PLD is the choice for many single target encounters, Warriors are capable of doing the same encounters even if they aren't ideal. I think the only real exception is Ifrit Extreme but that also just seems to be a matter of gear at this point. That's because WAR has all of the tools to fill the single tank role and deficiencies can eventually be made up by gear.

On the other hand PLD simply cannot fill the role of tank in much of the multi-target content and this isn't something that can be overcome by gear because PLD lacks the proper tools.

They aren't going to succeed with two tanks in the game by trying to carve out a niche for each one, especially if one can encroach on the niche of the other by acquiring enough gear. The two jobs are going to need the tools to do everything the other can or you will always see one job favored over the other.

For PLD I don't see why they can't just open up the -ra spells to GLA/PLD. We aren't going to be able to compete with the casters in damage with it considering the lower MP pool and not having much in the way of magic potency gear. But it would really help fill the Steel Cyclone gap in situations where mutli-target damage and enmity are a concern and give us the tools needed to actually do the content even if we are not the ideal class, similar to the warrior situation with single target content.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Orophin Calmcacil
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Well, I think the majority of "hard" content in ARR is going to be 24 man stuff, so I think you're going to see content that requires 3 tanks in some capacity or another. There will probably be room for both tanks in these encounters.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Duelle Urelle
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladon View Post
    On the other hand PLD simply cannot fill the role of tank in much of the multi-target content and this isn't something that can be overcome by gear because PLD lacks the proper tools.

They aren't going to succeed with two tanks in the game by trying to carve out a niche for each one, especially if one can encroach on the niche of the other by acquiring enough gear. The two jobs are going to need the tools to do everything the other can or you will always see one job favored over the other.

For PLD I don't see why they can't just open up the -ra spells to GLA/PLD. We aren't going to be able to compete with the casters in damage with it considering the lower MP pool and not having much in the way of magic potency gear. But it would really help fill the Steel Cyclone gap in situations where mutli-target damage and enmity are a concern and give us the tools needed to actually do the content even if we are not the ideal class, similar to the warrior situation with single target content.
    Circle Slash and a shorter cooldown on Wardrum would most likely be more than enough. If you want to go all out crazy, then also add a weapon skill like Judgment Blade or Lightning Stab (from FF Tactics) that hits multiple targets in front of the PLD.

I'm looking forward to details on how classes will change and how that will define job balance as we get closer to 2.0. We know there's going to be changes to abilities, but it'd be nice to get a peek at the big picture.
    (0)
    * The sad thing is that FFXIV turned RDM into a turret, and people think that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to combine sword and magic into something more, not spend the bulk of gameplay spamming spells and jump into melee for only 3 GCDs before scurrying back to the back line like good little casters.
    * Design ideas:
    Red Mage - COMPLETE (https://tinyurl.com/y6tsbnjh), Chemist - Second Pass (https://tinyurl.com/ssuog88), Thief - First Pass (https://tinyurl.com/vdjpkoa), Rune Fencer - First Pass (https://tinyurl.com/y3fomdp2)

Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelle View Post
    Circle Slash and a shorter cooldown on Wardrum would most likely be more than enough. If you want to go all out crazy, then also add a weapon skill like Judgment Blade or Lightning Stab (from FF Tactics) that hits multiple targets in front of the PLD.

I'm looking forward to details on how classes will change and how that will define job balance as we get closer to 2.0. We know there's going to be changes to abilities, but it'd be nice to get a peek at the big picture.
    I'm hoping for Stasis Sword.

But really, PLD with Holy Swordsman WS's, or a Holy Swordsman Job class with HS WS's. Holy !$@$!@$@$ f yeah.
    (1)
    "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's often."
    Temp Forum Ban - July 7th 2016 *** I promise to never call out scrub players again due to it causing a toxic community

Player
    Character
    Stanley Young
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Xero View Post
    I'm hoping for Stasis Sword.

But really, PLD with Holy Swordsman WS's, or a Holy Swordsman Job class with HS WS's. Holy !$@$!@$@$ f yeah.
    I rather have pld stay the tank and saviour if u will, would be better to have a job that's sword saint doing holy swordsman abilities and being a pure dd. Not pld having those abilities.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Reynhart Kristensen
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    If WAR can tank on par with PLD, even if they don't aim for the same type of target, PLD should be on par with WAR for damage output.
    So, better WS is justified. Since we know that DPS is used for calculating WS damage, and DPS is really close when you look at the weapons, the conclusion is that Sword WS modifiers are crap.
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast