Player

The Long Grind? 40-50

so far i've been following the guide set in place on disciplesoftheland. it's been turning out great. everywhere i look however, no one seems to give a lot of info on how to proceed in the 40-50 grind of fishing. i assume prioritize as many lvl. 40 leves as possible for max exp.

if you run out of leves however, where should you grind exp while waiting on allowances? and is there a certain fish you want to be going for during the grind from 40-50?

thanks.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Orophin Calmcacil
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Leves are the most efficient way to level, but if you run out, any of the Grade 5 areas are going to be your best bet.

From purely a profit perspective, Bald Knoll might be the best if you don't mind running between fishing schools. You can catch Red Coral, which goldsmithers grind on, Black Sole, which alchemists turn into lightning crystals, and also the Young Indigo Herring for hamlet turn-ins. Also, don't forget with Fingerprints of the Gods you can fish up the various catalysts needed for materia melding, but once again, they're an item you can only fish from schools.

If you just want to sit in one spot and focus more on skilling up than trying to make some money at the same time, try looking up some of the various fish from the Grade 5 areas on the MW and see how well they sell.

Freshwater: Crimson Crayfish, Northern Pike, Velodyna Carp, Bone Crayfish (lower than a Grade 5 fish, but caught in Thanalan Grade 5 areas)

Saltwater: Haraldr Haddock, Saber Sardine, Wahoo

Good luck on the grind to 50!
    (0)
    Last edited by Orophin; 08-17-2012 at 01:06 AM.

Player

Thanks. I was at Bald Knoll for a while doing Haraldr Haddock and Saber Sardines, then I noticed the exp dip when I leveled. I recently tried Iron Lake for Crimson Crayfish and the exp is about the same. I suppose it's not going to be better anywhere else.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Orophin Calmcacil
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Yeah, the XP isn't really going to vary between any of the Grade 5 areas. Just make sure to use food to give you that little extra boost, exit from your bed in the inn room when you log out to accumulate some rested xp, and if you have spare GC points, buy the manuals that give extra xp. If you have Sweat of Brow from Botanist, equip that as your only ability (assuming you're not going after catalysts) and that'll give you double xp for about 4 or so casts.
    (0)

Player

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Orophin Calmcacil
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    I just prefer to think of myself as a fishing enthusiast. Now they just need to add new stuff for it so I can get back at it!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Dexterity Jones
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Leatherworker Lv 57
    Sweat of brow is by far my favourite ability in the gathering professions. I took bot up just to get that one ability.

I hope fishing in 2.0 is as involved and engaging as it was in 11. (I dont mean mini game wise, I think the mini game we have now is spot on, I mean events and things to do with fishing)
    (0)