Player
    Character
    Vector Arrow
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50

PLD viable for speed runs?

I'm almost 50 on my PLD and want to start gearing him for end game content. I don't want to jump on the warrior bandwagon because I generally like sword and board more. I hear that PLD has been buffed in recent patches, but I was wondering if they are any good for speed runs now. I know I'd be able to do primals and other content, but I'd like to get in those dungeons and get some darklight gear.

Thanks in advance.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Godking View Post
    I'm almost 50 on my PLD and want to start gearing him for end game content. I don't want to jump on the warrior bandwagon because I generally like sword and board more. I hear that PLD has been buffed in recent patches, but I was wondering if they are any good for speed runs now. I know I'd be able to do primals and other content, but I'd like to get in those dungeons and get some darklight gear.

Thanks in advance.
    I would think the real question is, "are you ready for Speedruns"?

But really, to answer your question, ideally you will want both PLD and WAR with great gear if you plan to main as a tank.
    You can change jobs in the dungeon, so there will be parts where you will want to be PLD, and others where WAR is best.

PLD is definately a valueable resource in the Dungeons though.
    (2)
    "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's often."
    Temp Forum Ban - July 7th 2016 *** I promise to never call out scrub players again due to it causing a toxic community

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    TBH, I would say that unless you have both PLD and WAR to 50 you are not ready for speed runs. You may want to consider DRG and a BLM or WHM as well. As Judge says, for speed runs you'll usually need to switch jobs at least once.
    (0)
    Last edited by Molly_Millions; 07-31-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Player
    Character
    Vector Arrow
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    The only jobs I don't have at 50 are PUG and LNC. Everything else I'm knowledgable in, but I just need to work on getting some double melds.
    (0)

Player

Yes. They have been even before pld buff.
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...l=1#post700906
    (1)

Character
    Alerith Rayneheart
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    I do Aurum Vale speedruns as PLD, and as I don't have WAR, I don't change jobs the entire time. Hasn't hindered us yet, and as we practice more and more, we're getting closer to the 17m5C run.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Pied Piper
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    If you want to main tank, on either class, you need to get to the point that you are not a limiting factor on your dds. A great place to test this is Apep. Get your best DD, a who, and you. See if you can pull him and hold him while your dd goes as hard as possible (while still using enmity down cool downs). Once you have the gear approach to get to the point you don't slow that dd down, you're ready.

As people have said, many use War on early rooms switching to PLD at first boss. I do this for our 17min runs, but its not necessary for 25m runs.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Will Brannigan
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 80
    I like to run WAR in AV (the extra AOEs help out a little bit) and up through princess in CC but honestly it's not necessary at all. Steel Cyclone is very nice for keeping ants off your party during princess but other than that warrior doesn't have much of an edge over paladin. I'd even say Cover is better than Collusion for the runs now when it's used properly.

I think Paladin is probably better overall (better single hate, quicker buildup time for initial AOE hate, better defenses) but Warrior is "good enough" defensively and hate-wise and lets you assist a little on AOE damage.

Really, for the 25 minute run you can just play whatever you're most comfortable with.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Vector Arrow
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Thanks for all the replies guys. It's good to hear positive responses. All I ever see or hear is people wanting WAR for everything. I'm definitely going to work at it and do the best I can at it.

I'm trying to find a guide for starting fights, like what to do first to get that initial aggro. Anyone know of any like that?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Robert Redensa
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    First, Sentinel boosts enmity from weaponskills, not abilities, so don't pop it before Provoke, Flash, or Rampart, because it won't help them.

Here's what I do, ideally, if the party will listen:

Provoke+Flash (and from then on every 30s)
    Pull to position
    Divine Veil
    Sentinel
    Phalanx -> Spirits Within
    Tell everyone to gather on me and get on hate list (if safe). All it takes is an auto attack or a heal.
    War Drum
    Rampart when everyone is close.

Rampart gives you more enmity the more people it hits, but you generally have to explain the plan to the party ahead of time. Even then they seem afraid to come near on most bosses, so you may or may not get the extra several hundred points of enmity there.
    (3)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast