Player
    Character
    Ganiman Swift
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50

Which wand?

I hit WHM50 a couple weeks ago, and have been using a Wand of Gales with a Healer's Hand IV materia melded to it. The stats are:

Piety: +4
    Attack Magic Potency: +4
    Wind Magic Potency: +24
    Healing Magic Potency: +16

Last night I got a Malevolent Mogwand, which has stats:

Magic Accuracy+30
    Magic Critical Hit Rating+15
    Chance to restore MP

Of these two wands, which is better? And what causes the "Chance to restore MP" effect to kick in? Do you have to be active and hitting a mob? Mogwand looks cool and has a cute sound effect, but I am not sure how magic accuracy and magic crit is helping me as a WHM. I figured healing magic would be a better stat, but what do I know.

I know for two handed weapons, a lot of people use Chiran Zabran's Tempest, which has a magic accuracy stat -20, but healing +40. Stats seem all over the place to me.
    (1)
    Ganiman

Player
    Character
    Raldo Volca
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    • Are you just healing? Then the former is better, though Zabran's Tempest is even better.
    • Are you just nuking easy stuff (like powerleveling)? Then the former is better.
    • Are you just nuking hard stuff? Then the latter is better.
    • Are you doing a bit of both? Then use your best judgement.

The restore MP proc only works when you melee with the Mog weapon (auto-attack), so don't put too much stock into that.

Lots of people just use Chiran Zabran's Tempest because it's the best pure-healing weapon.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Ganiman Swift
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Thanks for the reply - I figured as much. When I nuke as a WHM (like on Moogles) I use Ifrit's Cane. When I heal, I use my melded wand (until I get Zabran's). So I guess the Mogwand is pretty much a show piece. I thought Ifrit's Cane was totally worthless, but I do see it to be effective against the Moogles and my damage is noticeably higher than other WHMs when I use. Maybe one day I will think of a use for the Mogwand too - for now I will just wear it around town and make cute sounds.
    (1)
    Ganiman

Player
    Character
    Yoso Carrasco
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 74
    The Mogwand is perfectly fine if you like it, and shields can slot HP on them which can be situationally useful and some have stats on them you may want (some of the company targes come to mind). Just make sure to carry around magic attack food.

It's best to have both an offensive and defensive weapon on WHM anyway because it's fairly versatile and there have been more battles coming out that are much easier if a WHM is able to put out some damage.
    (0)

Player

offensively in party, i use double melded +30 vit wand of tremors

offensively solo, I use the Adder GC wand (with other Earth gear), I have the staff as well, but hp from my shield is too much to lose for any staff.

healing setup is almost always my Vit melded wand for when Regen is doing most of the work.

when I need to be very active with cures, it's always the Tempest staff.

*I'm probably going to be using the Skirmish wand for all healing situations once i get it, hopefully 1 with Vit melds, I'm addicted to Vit.
    (0)
    Last edited by Giit; 07-27-2012 at 06:51 AM.

Player
    Character
    Naomi Onisake
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Giit View Post
    offensively in party, i use double melded +30 vit wand of tremors

offensively solo, I use the Adder GC wand (with other Earth gear), I have the staff as well, but hp from my shield is too much to lose for any staff.

healing setup is almost always my Vit melded wand for when Regen is doing most of the work.

when I need to be very active with cures, it's always the Tempest staff.

*I'm probably going to be using the Skirmish wand for all healing situations once i get it, hopefully 1 with Vit melds, I'm addicted to Vit.
    I agree with this. I prefer wand of tremors. even putting healing hand on it i believe is better than gales or tides.

Enhancing magic has a definitive cap (Regen doesn't get any better) and regen is your most cost effecient method of healing for both enmity and mana.

Stoneskin is about as mana efficient as cure, but it doesn't draw quiet as much hate (the more effective your cures are, the more hate you generate, where as stoneskin seems pretty static regardless of how much you block)

If you're nuking either one of those would be fine, but you're nuking so the healing hand is a bit wasted on that wand. I'd sell it if i were you and get a wand of tremors. the extra vit really makes a difference. I haven't melded any VIT to my wand, but i rock VIT in every other slot i can get, and i'm very close to cap. (i currently have no melds, i'm still deciding what job i want to focus melds on first)

most parties run two WHM or a whm and 2-3 backup heals (brd, or thm). that being said you shoudl have plenty of healing, and don't necessarily need to push your healing capabilities to keep your party alive. HOWEVER pushing your enhancing up means regen is doing more work for you, and your more potent stoneskin is keeping your DDs alive while you're cure-bombing the tank.

I recomend to all new WHMs that ask me to look at capping enhancing before looking at healing potency. healing potency is more readily available, and often in places enhancing isn't so it's usually not a big problem.
    (0)