Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Charlemagne Ifrit
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    We won't get a big hp boost in this game. The simple fact is that it would unbalance the job too much. We already have incredible dd power and if we had a huge pool of hp to go with it then the job would be too overpowered. If we got the hp and lost some dd capability to balance it then the job would be useless. With more hp and less damage we'd just be a third rate war.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Y'ahte Tia
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyKnuckles View Post
    I was actually hoping/expecting Monk to have the highest hp, as to give it better survivability. Has high hp not been 1 of monk's staple characteristics true to the job? I fail to understand why that is missing. Hopefully in 2.0 monk will be adjusted to have more hp than most or all other jobs.
    Actually, let me give you a good game design reason as to why Monk doesn't have that much HP.

Originally, at least as far as memory serves me, Monk had always had really, really sub-par defense but enough HP to make up for it, also in their lack of suitable weapons, they had the ability to deal heavy damage without equipped weapons. However, single-player games don't nescessarily need to balance one character against another.

Now, this is an MMO, each different class needs to have their own function in a party. As it stands, we currently have two tanks, Paladin and Warrior. And we have two melee DDs, Dragoon and Monk. If we gave Monk the huge health boost you wish, they would swiftly move from damage-dealer to tank role, effectively shifting the function of the job. In addition to that, if they kept their damage capacity they would be vastly imbalanced in relation to the other classes, which cannot excel on both cases simultaneously. (allowing it to be thus inbalanced would lead to obliviating the need for the other classes)

And just because i'm not native to english and am also rambly, let me give a more succing version of my point:
    1 - If they have a large HP pool, they become tanks and so their DD capacity needs to lower to become balanced with other classes.
    2 - We already have two tank classes, and also two melee DDs, there is no need to move one DD to tank.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lucky Knuckles
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Ok thank you all for sharing your opinions. I have a better understanding of why SE has kept monk from a larger amount of hp. From what I gather from you all, by giving monk more hp as it stands it would give monk an unfair advantage and would not be balanced with other jobs. Some of you stated that monk simply does not need more hp. Some of you stated that they already have good enough survivability b/c of abilities such as second wind and even high evasion. Also some of you think that by adding more hp, it would make monk a tank. I have seen some threads about monk already playing the role of an "Evasion tank". So, by then adding even more hp to that would make monk unbalanced even more so. I agree,
    however I do not like the fact that monk has such high evasion. Why not take away the uncharacteristic evasion and then give it the hp? It feels like SE is a step away from giving monk Treasure Hunter and maybe when they finally release a thief like class they will just give thief the high hp... b/c after all this isn't FF11, right Eikikiki? Also, giving monk more hp would not automatically make it a tank imo, especially if you took away some of that evasion. The fact that monk is so squishy makes it bad tank even with higher hp. Having high hp does not make any job a tank. What makes a tank a good tank imo is its ability to take hits w/o taking a ton of damage. So high def. and Vit. would be much better than a ton of hp. Wouldn't that just make whm have to cure bomb non-stop? So any idea that by giving monk more hp would make it a tank sounds ridiculous to me. I can admit that giving it a ton of hp + the current high evasion would be too much though. So I say take away the evasion and give it the hp.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Adahna Serafi
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyKnuckles View Post
    Thanks for your news flash Eeikekeiki, but FF11 was not the only FF game that had monk with high hp. Every FF game besides 14 that I have played had monk with high hp if not the highest. It is a monk staple characteristic. SE said that they want ppl to know they are playing FF. Idk why you wouldn't care to admit that? Maybe you just don't care b/c you are a monk hater? Idk... but do your research next time you want to reply to a post, ok little fella^^
    This isn't FF I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII, Tactics or any other spin off FF or sequel to any of these listed. This is XIV. Some of those FF games I listed don't even have MNK. Yes, this is a FF game but it's not a carbon copy of all of them. They are allowed to change things and in this MMO version in the FF series has MNK as a DPS job and by this games rules, strict DPS jobs have low HP compared to tank jobs and most people are ok with this.

Btw, don't be rude to Eekiki. Bad things will happen to you in your sleep.

Re-Edit: Just read your last post, Go look up materia. It's a wonderful thing they added to the game that you can do w/e you want to your class.
    (1)
    Last edited by AmyNeudaiz; 07-26-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Player
    Character
    Almalexia Indoril
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 70
    MNK has more virtual HP in the form of enhanced Second Wind, if that's any consolation.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Caterina Rose
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    A little more HP would go a long way on monk, I think. It's already a job that has inferior defense, I'm not sure why our HP has to be so low for a melee on top of that (and very low for monk, traditionally having the highest HP). A lot of people still usually consider monk a liability in endgame stuff, but then so are some other jobs. It seems like things change at very high levels of play, but for the average player this is still just WAR's, BLM's and WHM's show right now. The content tends to favor them being the staples of survivability from what I've seen, people often won't bother to leave the city without those jobs, often demanding two or three of each. Bards tend to fill the gaps more often than anything else.

So I'm left wondering if we really are just too squishy, or if there's simply a content bias against some jobs, or a mixture of both. All I know for certain is we're not alone in being underutilized.
    (1)
    Last edited by Tigercub; 08-01-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Player
    Character
    Vax Redrick
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Put it more HP on mnk and lower defese. Problem solved?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Wynton Tomoken
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Culinarian Lv 90
    Newsflash: This is not FFXI
    No... thats not epic, and straight to the point (though it is short). It's rude, immature, and close-minded.

YES FFXIV isn't FFXI, BUT characteristic to the Final Fantasy series up to THIS POINT, MNKs did have very high HP. For someone to start a thread of discussion about it isn't a cry for "wanting XI back" but rather just a simple discussion.

Grow up.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Sword Coheir
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    Considering that the usefulness of Defense is so subjective with the D-Level factoring (and it's already possible to beat things like Ifrit Naked on WHM) lack of HP is about the only thing that would keep FFXIV's MNK from turning into a overpowering DD/Tank MNK like in FFXI. I'm sure Yoshi doesn't want that happening so in a way lack of HP is in a way a necessary evil.
    (0)

Support RDM Development: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/42776-How-Would-You-Design-Red-Mage%21[/center]

Player
    Character
    Lucky Knuckles
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50

Bich plz

Quote Originally Posted by AmyNeudaiz View Post
    This isn't FF I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII, Tactics or any other spin off FF or sequel to any of these listed. This is XIV. Some of those FF games I listed don't even have MNK. Yes, this is a FF game but it's not a carbon copy of all of them. They are allowed to change things and in this MMO version in the FF series has MNK as a DPS job and by this games rules, strict DPS jobs have low HP compared to tank jobs and most people are ok with this.

Btw, don't be rude to Eekiki. Bad things will happen to you in your sleep.

Re-Edit: Just read your last post, Go look up materia. It's a wonderful thing they added to the game that you can do w/e you want to your class.
    Haha, your funny. I'm aware of all the materia. Even w/ materia there is still a "better" choice to meld things w/ most of the time.

BTW Did you actually threaten me on a FF14 post b/c I responded to a rude and ignorant comment that Eikikikkiki posted on a valid discussion? I sleep soundly every night knowing you and you short friend wouldn't dare come to my state to do me harm in my sleep. You must really live in a fantasy world 24/7 where you think things like that are possible by morons like you... Time to get some fresh air and just few meetings w/ a shrink. Lesson #1 don't start no sh!t, won't be no sh!t. Lesson #2 comes when you try to act out your imaginary thoughts to rl actions. I wish you would.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast