Thread: Curtana :(

Player
    Character
    Ronik Savarin
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    There is a lot of stupid in this thread.

Accuracy is a fantastic stat to have on weap: arguably superior to enmity. In any situation where your accuracy is underneath the softcap required to reliably hit a mob, accuracy is far more of a stable and reliable stat than enmity. Any time you're underneath that accuracy threshold, you severely devalue enmity as well (enmity at 70% hit rate is worth a LOT less than enmity at 100% hit rate, nevermind issues with missed combos causing early hate loss and massive potential damage lost).

Additionally, there are literally a ton of spots with which you can gear for enmity: neck, earrings, bracelet, belt, gloves and chest are all commonly used for +enmity, or can be swapped if you need more enmity. However, if you're underneath the acc cap for a boss, what options do you have? You're forced to equip 2x Acc Rings (this will cause a MAJOR drop in whatever primary stat rings you're using) and at least two more pieces of Acc (probably an explorer's choker and a pair of accuracy gloves; again, very painful as you're losing a ton of enmity from heavy darklight or militia choker). As you can see, being below Accuracy cap is far more significant of an issue than having a lack of enmity, which is comparatively easy to acquire.

TLDR; accuracy on our weap is probably better than enmity, and if you don't see why that's the case you probably don't deserve a relic in the first place.
    (8)
    Last edited by Ronik; 07-18-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Player
    Character
    Belmont Blanc
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    I love Curtana the way it is (that make me working to obtain it).

I prefer +accuracy on weapon instead of +enmity.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Sword Coheir
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Quatre View Post
    Good valid point. Your Damage you've put out is quite impressive it's nice to see that with the proper gearing you can hold hate with great dmg like a Warrior can .
    What exactly is the breakdown of the gear in your offensive set up?
    Here you go.

Storm Lieutenant's Cutlass +20 Acc, (5 Pieces) +30 Atk.
    Vintage Kite Shield +1 (+16 Def)
    Cobalt Celata (+34 MND)
    Lominsan Officer's Overcoat +10 STR, VIT, DEX, MND, Sanction: +70 Def
    Felt Trousers (+12 STR, +12 VIT)
    Cobalt Guantlets (+35 STR)
    Storm Sergeant's Jackboots +30 Eva., (2 Pieces) +10 DEX
    Cobalt Plate Belt (+42 Enmity)
    Storm Sergeant's Bracelets +3 Atk., (3 Pieces) +7 STR
    Storm Sergeant's Earrings +4 Atk., (4 Pieces) +7 Crit. Atk.
    Explorer's Choker / Electrum Gorget +1
    Electrum Ring / Rubellite Ring +1 x2

The foods I use are usually Raptor Shank (atk) or Salt Cod Puffs (acc).
    (1)

Support RDM Development: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/42776-How-Would-You-Design-Red-Mage%21[/center]

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Ifrit and moogle swords don't have +enmity either, people do just fine with them. Just add + enmity everywhere else you can. You can easily get to +60 enmity without having any on your sword.
    (2)

Player

People who don't understand stats and how they effect DPS are the ones who dismiss PLD's ability to DPS.

Most PLD are shitty at keeping combo on cooldown because they don't undestand game mechanics so they don't bother with the combo's out of fast > flat phalanx>SW. Raising STR 1STR=.8dmg 1MND=.7dmg
    I can wear HDL gloves for 45enmity or 4.5% enmity on every action, or tripple STR gloves 50STR(+5acc)=>40dmg to every WS I perform.

My base fast blade on chimera is avg 18dmg in full enmity gear BUT my base dmg with the glove swap is 58DMG

5.5x total enmity on flat blade in combo:
    18(5.5) = 99 + (4.5% enmity on gloves) = 103.5 total enmity on flat blade with HDL gloves
    58(5.5) = 319 total enmity with STR gloves

As far as curtana goes the MP drain and SW bonus dmg is SUBSTANTIAL not to mention you also get the BIS shield. To me this is the single best relic of the group in total performance gains by the job over its BiS alternative including company gear.
    (4)
    How Durandal Rolls
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterityJones View Post
    as a monk you can find the hole and fill it with a fist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    Bow Chica Bow-Wow...

Player
    Character
    Robert Redensa
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordCoheir View Post
    Here you go.

Storm Lieutenant's Cutlass +20 Acc, (5 Pieces) +30 Atk.
    Vintage Kite Shield +1 (+16 Def)
    Cobalt Celata (+34 MND)
    Lominsan Officer's Overcoat +10 STR, VIT, DEX, MND, Sanction: +70 Def
    Felt Trousers (+12 STR, +12 VIT)
    Cobalt Guantlets (+35 STR)
    Storm Sergeant's Jackboots +30 Eva., (2 Pieces) +10 DEX
    Cobalt Plate Belt (+42 Enmity)
    Storm Sergeant's Bracelets +3 Atk., (3 Pieces) +7 STR
    Storm Sergeant's Earrings +4 Atk., (4 Pieces) +7 Crit. Atk.
    Explorer's Choker / Electrum Gorget +1
    Electrum Ring / Rubellite Ring +1 x2

The foods I use are usually Raptor Shank (atk) or Salt Cod Puffs (acc).
    Awesome! That's pretty much what I want my PLD to look like once I can go for double-melding my own cobalt plate. I'm relieved to see that it's viable. Thanks for sharing.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sword Coheir
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    My pleasure, I'm hoping to get a triple meld T4 Celata and Gauntlets and some +20STR pants to put me right around the cap, however my wallet can't take the hit atm XD.
    (0)

Support RDM Development: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/42776-How-Would-You-Design-Red-Mage%21[/center]

Player
    Character
    Lyndel Qa'tre
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    People who don't understand stats and how they effect DPS are the ones who dismiss PLD's ability to DPS.

Most PLD are shitty at keeping combo on cooldown because they don't undestand game mechanics so they don't bother with the combo's out of fast > flat phalanx>SW. Raising STR 1STR=.8dmg 1MND=.7dmg
    I can wear HDL gloves for 45enmity or 4.5% enmity on every action, or tripple STR gloves 50STR(+5acc)=>40dmg to every WS I perform.

My base fast blade on chimera is avg 18dmg in full enmity gear BUT my base dmg with the glove swap is 58DMG

5.5x total enmity on flat blade in combo:
    18(5.5) = 99 + (4.5% enmity on gloves) = 103.5 total enmity on flat blade with HDL gloves
    58(5.5) = 319 total enmity with STR gloves

As far as curtana goes the MP drain and SW bonus dmg is SUBSTANTIAL not to mention you also get the BIS shield. To me this is the single best relic of the group in total performance gains by the job over its BiS alternative including company gear.

Some more solid reasoning of why Enmity isn't quite the strongest stat in the game.

@Sword thanks for your break down, I'll definitely look into creating a set like this for instances such as garuda and other fights that might arise.

@Ronik- Don't you think it's odd that the Warrior weapon has Enmity, and the Paladin weapon does not? Warrior who is supposed to be a Damage Dealer first and a tank second? There's a whole lot of tunnel vision happening in this post.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sword Coheir
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    Some more solid reasoning of why Enmity isn't quite the strongest stat in the game.
    @Ronik- Don't you think it's odd that the Warrior weapon has Enmity, and the Paladin weapon does not? Warrior who is supposed to be a Damage Dealer first and a tank second? There's a whole lot of tunnel vision happening in this post.
    Kind of on the same token as WAR AF getting Enmity. It's got some good pieces in there, but at the same time it's a juggling fest between trying to reduce Enmity on Key pieces and put out some good damage in the process w/o drawing hate.

But let's be honest unless it's an AoE spamfest like Garuda's Plumes people don't really use WAR for anything but tanking.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ronik Savarin
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Did you even read my post? It's like the entire thing went over your damned head. Do you still not understand how accuracy is as immensely useful and potent a tanking stat as enmity is?

Also, why are you making the claim that WAR is a "damage dealer first and a tank second"? There is absolutely NO indication of that being even remotely true: in fact, I would go as far to say that you're flat-out wrong about this. Here is the official class description for WAR on the lodestone page:

"Warriors have the honor of possessing the highest HP of any class or job. Thriving on the enmity of his foes, there is no fiercer fighter on the field of battle."

Now, where in there do you see "damage dealer first" because I *certainly* do not. Oh, wait, it's not there. A WAR's job is to be a balance between taking damage and outputting damage, and the design intent is that accomplishing the former helps to improve the latter. Or did you miss the part where 3 of the 5 abilities unlocked by the WAR class are specifically tanking abilities?

Again, you do not appear to have a clear grasp on either tanking mechanics (have you even attempted Garuda or done any of the relic quest?) nor class design (where the hell are you getting that WAR is primarily a DD?).
    (2)
    Last edited by Ronik; 07-19-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast