Thread: Curtana :(

Player
    Character
    Lyndel Qa'tre
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    I'm confused, are you guys not tanking with DPS with double-triple melds/ Darklight gear?

PLD already has better mitigation A la blocking abilities than WAR, so they only thing they really need to gear for is enmity to make up for lack of collusion, antagonize, vengeance.

And honestly, saying every stat on Curtana gives Enmity is a cheap cop out. Enmity gives more raw enmity on EVERYTHING. HP gives more Enmity on 1 ability with a 60 second cooldown.

Accuracy is more enmity... Except Enmity itself will give you more enmity.

I'm not sure if some of you are simply playing devil's advocate and arguing to argue... Or if you completely think Curtana is optimized stats wise.
    (1)

Player

Accuracy is where PLD lacks, my PLD never loses hate in any misser, hate is not an issue.. Granted i have 200+ enmity in my gears.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Mijin Gakure
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Quatre View Post
    I'm confused, are you guys not tanking with DPS with double-triple melds/ Darklight gear?

PLD already has better mitigation A la blocking abilities than WAR, so they only thing they really need to gear for is enmity to make up for lack of collusion, antagonize, vengeance.

And honestly, saying every stat on Curtana gives Enmity is a cheap cop out. Enmity gives more raw enmity on EVERYTHING. HP gives more Enmity on 1 ability with a 60 second cooldown.

I'm not sure if some of you are simply playing devil's advocate and arguing to argue... Or if you completely think Curtana is optimized stats wise.
    Because hitting is enmity itself. Enmity + gear increases the enmity you gain by a percentage, the base enmity is based on your actual damage. However unlike WAR paladin has skills that increase enmity gain on that skill (Flat Blade, Spirits Within). Since these skills have such high multipliers, increasing the base of those multipliers is better which would require higher DD stats. So being able to ditch out ACC for more dmg stats or enm + (Militia Choker instead of Explorer's Choker?) lets you have more useful stats such as MND rings (which directly affects flat blade combo) or STR rings to increase those certain bases.

Though even with losing HQ electrum rings x2 and an Explorer's Choker, you still have more acc with just the sword. So not only can you increase your damage with accessories but you still have a bit more acc than an all out ACC build.

To show how it would work-
    1) Being able to increase your accuracy lets you open up damaging/enmity accessories (Stat Rings or Militia Choker).
    2) Having accuracy lets you deal damage more often.
    3) Damage directly affects enmity, which enmity + is a % bonus that is affected by that base.
    4) PLD has two skills that are greatly affect by that base (Spirits Within and Flat Blade).
    5) Increasing this base directly affects not only the effectiveness of enmity + and enmity itself.

Why do you think Warrior is affected by enmity + more than PLD is? Their base ENM is higher than a PLD's.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...-(Translation)

Flat blade's enmity bonus is also affected by mind, which is another reason why having stat rings available can affect enmity.
    (2)
    Last edited by Dawiichan; 07-18-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Player
    Character
    Lyndel Qa'tre
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    I don't have HDL. so I have ~110 Enmity? If I don't pop a rage potion my mnks on miser will rip that right off of me.

Every other fight it's more or less fine. BLMS need to chill for early Chimera if they are well geared though.

Edit: I don't think WAR is affect more greatly by ENM, I'm saying ACC is more useful for WAR since it is useful in both a tanking and a DPS Position.

My Main arguement is that Curtana should have ENM and Bravura ACC. Enmity is a stat that is only useful while tanking. Accuracy is a stat that is more suited to a DPS job. My point is SE needs to decide what they're doing when they're putting Tank-Exclusive stats on the job they don't want to be the main tank.
    (2)
    Last edited by Quatre; 07-18-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Player
    Character
    Mijin Gakure
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    I would disagree with that considering that War needs only 2 stats for tanking while PLD effectively needs 4 stats, 3 if you want to ignore the .1% Block Rate:1 Dex conversion. Personally, clearing up those ring slots > having more enm + on my sword.

Also no, I think maybe you haven't suffered the annoyance of missing a spirit's within combo. One skill makes a huge difference on PLD, yet it requires acc to hit. I'd say ACC is a tanking stat.
    (0)
    Last edited by Dawiichan; 07-18-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Player
    Character
    Rau Berlioz
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    A couple PLDs on Durandal are focusing on Healing Potency and HP instead of Enmity, and they're actually doing pretty well now.

A couple of them want to solo heal on Mistress.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eemeefu View Post
    This thread is not a beautiful or unique snowflake.

Player
    Character
    Mijin Gakure
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Rau View Post
    A couple PLDs on Durandal are focusing on Healing Potency and HP instead of Enmity, and they're actually doing pretty well now.

A couple of them want to solo heal on Mistress.
    Solo heal isn't that bad on miser. We can do it with 7 monks and a war.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Will Brannigan
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 80
    Curtana is so fucking amazing already that it doesn't really need anything else. I mean you could replace the Hpot with str or something but that's just getting greedy.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Sword Coheir
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

Were not arguing that +Enmity doesn't have it's place, it's more along the lines is people tend to disregard PLD's DPS as an actual substantial factor in Enmity control. Yes we know PLD's DPS is lacking compared to dedicated melee, but we can't seriously depend on Flash, Provoke, and Rampart as a primary source of hate generation with their mid-long recast timers. Even with 200+ Enmity what real good is an extra 150-200 Enmity boost per voke, when your triple melded BLM's are throwing out 1500 dmg nukes on Garuda every 10 seconds. Obviously to help you would spam your Spirits, Flat, Gorging, and Riot Blade combos as opportunity arises, however miss one or more combos from lackluster accuracy though you could be out more than a hefty chunk of hate which could mean an entire world of difference especially with people who don't know the word hate management.

Case in point, here's my stats in an offensive setup (before buffs) that I've been using for Garuda. The only Enmity on me is a double melded cobalt plate belt which is +42 Enmity (+4.2% boost). (And yes I know I posted these in another thread.)

During the course of our fights, this was the biggest gap between the BLM doing over 100 DPS and myself.

On average if I missed 2 or 3 combos my DPS would drop 2-3k, which multiplied from combo boosts could add up from anywhere between potentially 2k-15k worth of Enmity. I dunno about you but even on the lower end it's a pretty absurd amount of hate lost from missing a few combos.

That's why were putting more emphasis on Accuracy than the Enmity.
    (5)
    Last edited by SwordCoheir; 07-18-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Support RDM Development: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/42776-How-Would-You-Design-Red-Mage%21[/center]

Player
    Character
    Lyndel Qa'tre
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Good valid point. Your Damage you've put out is quite impressive it's nice to see that with the proper gearing you can hold hate with great dmg like a Warrior can .
    What exactly is the breakdown of the gear in your offensive set up?

Also on the subject of healing potency and Mind, that's pretty interesting. It may work out really well for 2.0 content, But I can see it just making your WHMs even more bored than they already are :P
    (0)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast