Player
    Character
    Adahna Serafi
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Malix View Post
    Actually warriors dont have to meld hp into thier gear thats mostly for paladins
    lool then wtf are you gonna put on feet? EVA? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Shokun View Post
    From my experience, I've noticed the HP melds don't really do you much good as a tank, at least small ones, but I suppose body/feet gear can be used for that. I'm using AF body and Explorer's Moccasins since I haven't got around to gearing my war specifically yet.

My way of doing WAR is simply damage, although the gear is mostly from lancer. Mog Axe, Triple meld STR mitt gauntlets (+43 total), double meld str/vit Felt Trousers (+20/+22 in total), explorer's bandana for acc or AF for more stats, Explorer's Belt, Electrum Gorget+1, Coral Armillae, and depending on situation, either str+acc rings or both str.

The "accuracy" build there gives me a bit over 90% accuracy on Garuda as tank, or about 95% as DD going after plumes. I'm not logged in right now so can't give you exact stat numbers, but I believe I was about 300str/290vit with this build. Also, I kept hate slightly better on Garuda than HP/Enmity-melded PLD/WAR, so I can attest to that DD geared WAR makes for a good tank, even with just one enmity piece in total.
    This would be a pretty well geared WAR but I do have to say that I disagree with the which is better but seeing as I don't bother with parsing or testing nor do I swap between the two regularly I only have word of mouth but I will tell you that 1 WHM runs on Garuda are a lot safer with a PLD instead of a WAR.
    (0)
    Last edited by AmyNeudaiz; 07-15-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyNeudaiz View Post
    Later on you wanna move onto Garuda's Axe, that is if you are Japanese.
    Fixed for you amy <3
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Shigeru Ookami
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 70
    I use Mog Axe, double melded STR on gauntlets, double melded HP pants, double melded HP sabatons, double melded enmity cobalt plate belt, AF body and head, 1 STR ring, 1 ACC ring, +enmity earrings, +enmity wrists, and since I'm Gridanian I got the +attack and +crit attack necklace.
    I was discussing yesterday about what to use on my hands with a friend. I was going for HP but my friend kept telling me It would be better if I get closer to my STR cap with melded STR gloves. All this in a strickly tank build. It got me wondering about what I'd better use on my hands because now STR doesn't seem a so bad idea.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rexus Kalev
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    If we're ignoring Darklight gear, it's pretty much a HP vs DPS build for tanking. If you think Darklight is out of the question for a while, look into the Militia gear as it's a good Enmity/HP set until you start getting Darklight.

For Miser and Princess, you can gear for DPS. I would still wear an Enmity Belt, Earrings and Wrist.

For Coincounter, I'd gear for HP if you plan on eating 100 Tonz, or a mix of HP/DPS if you plan on avoiding it.

For Chimera, I'd gear HP and Enmity.

For Ifrit, you can do whatever really. HP isn't exactly needed.

For Garuda, I'm not entirely sure. I've never tanked it non-burn style, but I still think HP isn't too important for her either, so I'd say DPS/Enmity.

In the end, it comes down to how good of a tank you are, and how good your WHM is. You could easily do every boss in the game w/o a HP build. However, a lot of tanks will use a HP build just for that 'safety net' of a large HP pool. Inexperienced WHM's will cure slow or not keep regen up 100%, letting you dip below half HP often. Inexperienced tanks will not be able to avoid big hit moves. Just some things you should think about IMO.
    (1)
    Last edited by Rexus; 07-16-2012 at 04:17 AM.

Player
    Character
    Gaarl Grimm
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Can you give me some examples of these "big hit" moves that you're talking about? As of now I've only fought Ifrit and his stuff is very easy to avoid with the exception of some really stupid bad camera problems. Granted I didnt tank, but being as you're up against the wall I imagine the camera issues.. so what are these big swings? Most moves from monsters in the game are completely unavoidable unless its a charge ability (like the dodo). So do end game bosses do maneuvers that are dodge-able? I know this is off topic. ;p
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Adahna Serafi
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by JackDaniels View Post
    Fixed for you amy <3
    Jack, I beat Garuda post mana burn it's not too hard just takes practice. This was a NA party too.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rexus Kalev
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Asgardx View Post
    Can you give me some examples of these "big hit" moves that you're talking about? As of now I've only fought Ifrit and his stuff is very easy to avoid with the exception of some really stupid bad camera problems. Granted I didnt tank, but being as you're up against the wall I imagine the camera issues.. so what are these big swings? Most moves from monsters in the game are completely unavoidable unless its a charge ability (like the dodo). So do end game bosses do maneuvers that are dodge-able? I know this is off topic. ;p
    Yes, most bosses have moves you can avoid. All of Chimera's conal breath attacks can be avoided by just running to the side or through it (although you will have to take breath hits in the last phase of the fight). You can avoid Princess's conal trap jaw attack by running to its side. I think all of Coincounter's moves can be avoided by moving at the right time. Garuda is obviously an avoidance fight overall, but when just straight tanking with your back to the wall, she does some conal moves you can avoid too (her stun move I think). They all act like your example of the Dodo. You see it charge, and just run to wherever is safe.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Malix Farwin
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    lool then wtf are you gonna put on feet? EVA? lol
    Darklight?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jadi Kama
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    If you play whm and also tank you'll realize that it's not how much Max HP the tank has that keeps the tank alive, it's how fast and how long your whm can cure you without pulling enmity. Having 500 more Max HP does very little when your taking 50,000-100,000 total damage in a HNM fight. All your doing is draining the whm's mp faster, and slowing them down by making them cast more often and thus granting them more enmity.. all that to heal useless space as any amount you loose they will eventually have to replace.

A better solution than Max HP stacking is to take less damage per hit and slow down the overall damage accumulation. That includes all defense stats that mitigate damage. The exception is the single shot KO but that can also be mitigated.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Adahna Serafi
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadi View Post
    If you play whm and also tank you'll realize that it's not how much Max HP the tank has that keeps the tank alive, it's how fast and how long your whm can cure you without pulling enmity. Having 500 more Max HP does very little when your taking 50,000-100,000 total damage in a HNM fight. All your doing is draining the whm's mp faster, and slowing them down by making them cast more often and thus granting them more enmity.. all that to heal useless space as any amount you loose they will eventually have to replace.

A better solution than Max HP stacking is to take less damage per hit and slow down the overall damage accumulation. That includes all defense stats that mitigate damage. The exception is the single shot KO but that can also be mitigated.
    Problem is that adding DEF or VIT for taking less damage is barely noticable unless you're tanking a lot of mobs at once and that just doesn't really happen in this game unless you're in a SB pt and in all honesty if you need anything better than AF for a SB pt you're doing it wrong.
    (0)
    Last edited by AmyNeudaiz; 07-30-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast