Player
    Character
    Divine Gate
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Garuda's Axe easily out DPS's Ifrit's. It's not even close.
    Garuda's Scream @ the same stats (STR/VIT below cap) as Ifrit's Battle Axe will pretty much do the same damage.
    The added accuracy + capping the stats is a huge gain, trumped only by the Relic. So yeah Garuda!!!

I use Immortal Flames Sergeant Axe if I want max HP (with Sanction it's superior, because of it's immense AtkPwr bonus)
    You may not be too far off there. The difference in DPS is only 0.77 (~2% difference in damage)
    The Flame Axe with Sanction and the +45 ATK (~4.5% extra damage)
    So ~2% higher.
    Capping the stats will still bring Garuda higher, + 25 Acc. But that is the reason people us it.
    ** The stat numbers came from testing I've been doing on the % gain per stat and should not be taken as 100% accurate
    (0)
    Last edited by Judge_Xero; 10-04-2012 at 01:51 AM.
    "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's often."
    Temp Forum Ban - July 7th 2016 *** I promise to never call out scrub players again due to it causing a toxic community

Player
    Character
    Sword Coheir
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    Yeah, putting aside bonus stats like STR, Acc., or Crit. Atk. that are attached to a weapon, higher DPS really doesn't give you better damage unless you can realistically up your jobs bonus attributes beyond what they were previously (proving you weren't over the cap to begin with). The selling point of the weapon really comes down to what stats are attached to it and if those stats benefit you more than others. Case in point despite the higher DPS (and my stats being below cap) my average damage went down 1.5k with a Garuda's Gaze when fighting Garuda versus my Giantsgall Longsword, and much of that is attributed to the STR, MND, and Acc that is on the Giantsgall.
    (0)

Support RDM Development: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/42776-How-Would-You-Design-Red-Mage%21[/center]

Player

Bravura? Hmm, right.
    (0)
    Scarface Champion, back from the dead.....AGAIN... 3 strikes and I'm out? Lawl
    http://perfection.guildwork.com/

Someone hurt my feelings today, this is what I did to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shougun View Post
    Reported them

Quote Originally Posted by fmonkey13 View Post
    This sounds awesome!! Can't wait to esperience it!!

Player
    Character
    Clover Kitty
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly_Millions View Post
    I don't think there is that much good GC jewelry for WAR, so you still have to make a comprimise.
    There is actually a setup for the 5 flame items without compromising too much.

Flame belt (this is a decent belt and unless you are putting nothing but enmity on your belt there really is not a lot of good choices anyway).
    Flame earring (as you are going to have 4 or more items this gives 30 HP),
    Flame Ring (As you will have the necessary 3 or more pieces on anyway, you gain 20 attack bonus from this ring, the 2nd finger can be a rubellite +1 or Amber +1).
    Then there is the final piece I just refer to it as a switch piece. If you need the accuracy (you already get 10 from the belt, then you can pop a flame wristlet on, while this wrist piece does not have any useful stats, it is a switch piece, so putting it on technically grants 20 accuracy).

The nice part of this setup is if you don't need the accuracy then just pop a coral wrist in its place and you have enmity. If you truely still need more enmity over accuracy than swap out the belt (10 accuracy) for a enmity melded belt.

Either way this opens up pretty much all meldable pieces (body, head, hands, legs, feet) for idea or good setup.
    The other part is it is situational switchable.

I am well aware there may be other good setups and better setups. however you always get the attack and around the highest dps (short of relic) with this base setup that just about anyone in the flames GC can do without too much compromise.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by cloverkitty View Post
    There is actually a setup for the 5 flame items without compromising too much.
    I beg to differ. With the exception of the flame sash, you are compromising on every piece.

Flame belt (this is a decent belt and unless you are putting nothing but enmity on your belt there really is not a lot of good choices anyway).
    This is the best choice out of the lot, but only for DD. However, I personally only use it for soloing, as you get a bonus to ACC in a party of 4 or more. I prefer the explorer's belt to stack crit rate. I use it in conjunction with the explorer's moccasins and the imperial operative tricorne. But be aware that stacking crit is only really usefull if you can reach your stats caps (or get very close) in addition to stacking crit attack power and maxing out crit rate.

Flame earring (as you are going to have 4 or more items this gives 30 HP),
    30 HP is a drop in the bucket for WAR; if you're tanking you'd be better served with the Stonewall Earrings, if you're on DD the explorer's earrings are boss.

Flame Ring (As you will have the necessary 3 or more pieces on anyway, you gain 20 attack bonus from this ring, the 2nd finger can be a rubellite +1 or Amber +1).
    If you are under stat caps you'd be much better off with the +18 str from an HQ rubellite ring than the 20 attack power from the GC ring with the bonus.

Then there is the final piece I just refer to it as a switch piece. If you need the accuracy (you already get 10 from the belt, then you can pop a flame wristlet on, while this wrist piece does not have any useful stats, it is a switch piece, so putting it on technically grants 20 accuracy).
    for tanking you'd again be better off with crafted gear. Coral Armilae +1 are the way to go hands down, for DD you'd be better off with either rubellite bracelets or the imperial operative wristlets if you're stacked for crit attack/crit rate.
    (0)
    Last edited by Molly_Millions; 10-13-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Player
    Character
    Clover Kitty
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 60
    I did clearly state that there were better DD and tanking setups. However everyone in the discussion about the axe was stuck on the 20 accuracy and how to get it. The solution I offer was HOW to achieve the 20 accuracy without giving up the melded gear. This solves the problem without giving up a single meldable slot.

In all reality there are better solutions and I finished off my post with "I am well aware there may be other good setups and better setups."

I know there are better setups. If you want to get really ideal.
    Skip the Flame path and go with a STR/ACC meld on the hands. Vit on the body and fill in the other areas with ideal melds. As the accuracy was made up in the hands then it is not needed from the axe.

For a decent set until the rest is built the below is true
    "however you always get the attack and around the highest dps (short of relic) with this base setup that just about anyone in the flames GC can do without too much compromise. "

However Once you get get that decent set the above without the flame items is still true. It is still the highest DPS axe short of relic and it does have its attack free and unlocked, while in other cases you have to give up something to get to that attack boost.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    I did clearly state that there were better DD and tanking setups. However everyone in the discussion about the axe was stuck on the 20 accuracy and how to get it. The solution I offer was HOW to achieve the 20 accuracy without giving up the melded gear. This solves the problem without giving up a single meldable slot.

In all reality there are better solutions and I finished off my post with "I am well aware there may be other good setups and better setups."

I know there are better setups. If you want to get really ideal.
    Skip the Flame path and go with a STR/ACC meld on the hands. Vit on the body and fill in the other areas with ideal melds. As the accuracy was made up in the hands then it is not needed from the axe.

For a decent set until the rest is built the below is true
    "however you always get the attack and around the highest dps (short of relic) with this base setup that just about anyone in the flames GC can do without too much compromise. "

However Once you get get that decent set the above without the flame items is still true. It is still the highest DPS axe short of relic and it does have its attack free and unlocked, while in other cases you have to give up something to get to that attack boost.
    Sure, I follow you. I'm honestly not sure it's really worth it given you're not just compromising one one slot but several. Especially when you consider that one of the largest benefits of the weapon is the fact that it raises your level caps. You'd have to have a heafty STR meld on your gloves to make up for the 18 STR (or -18 acc take your pick) that you don't have because of subbing the gc ring for a rubelite ring, not to mention the other pieces. To be honest, I like the SGT's weapons in most cases over the LT's weapons, because you don't have to compromise, the annoyance there is that you lose sanction as soon as you die.

Some people say focus on the stats of the weapon alone for what's best for you, but personally, I like to look at the whole package. (Especially on WAR, it's my favorite class.) When it's not your main class, you may be able to cut a few corners and go with GC set bonuses. I mean the option is there, and it's still gonna output some respoectable DMG, but it's not gonna be the best choice around.
    (0)
    Last edited by Molly_Millions; 10-13-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5