Player
    Character
    Frein Mannis
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50

Why the +/- Enmity stat needs to be abolished

I realize that this stat was added to allow tanks to scale up their enmity production in order to keep up with damage dealer gear progress, however, the current implementation is problematic for a few reasons:

1) Tanks are forced to choose between survival, or "tankyness", and the ability to hold hate. I don't think this is a choice most players particularly like to make. Currently all content favours focusing on holding hate because rewards are based on speed (AV, CC), defense isn't needed (Ifrit, Moogle), or because slow and steady makes things harder, not easier (Garuda).

2) +/- Enmity does nothing at all in PVP or other potential future content where hate mechanics are suppressed (such as a boss that completely ignores enmity).

3) As tank gear progression is split between survivability and increased enmity generation, in the long run tank enmity probably cannot keep up with DD gear progression anyway, as for them the sole purpose of every upgrade is to further increase damage output.

I would propose that abilities like Flash and Provoke scale based on one or more defensive stats, like Defense or their primary and secondary attributes. That way tanks can focus on simply being tanks. This would be similar to how WoW solves the problem.
    (13)

Player
    Character
    Mirage Askai
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    To tie flash and/or provoke to defensive stats sounds like a good idea.

How about provoke being modded by def and vit, while flash was modded by def and mnd?

In either case, it doesn't sound like a good idea for a job to rely on abilities that produce a static amount of enmity in a world where all other enmity generation is dynamic.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Yuki Ynagi
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    1) balance between aggro generation and survivability is like balance for accuracy and offensive stats for melees and mages, nothing new here. If anything, defence it's a useless stat like is working now on bosses and highter level mobs. If you feel it wrong, ask to be reworked instead touching enmity+/-

2)And the problem is ? In every game with pve/pvp, people have 2 different sets with gear focused on pvp, what's the problem ?

3)look first answer. And actually in the long run, a proper tank never allow a dd to surpass it. You're looking to mistress, where dd go in full attack immediatly, or a soo-soo war
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Psxpert Sylph
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    ___I think these are ridiculous arguments to present in a MMORPG, where the focus of improving content, story and UI comes first and foremost. To include games like "WoW" is a dead end scream for attention. FF-14 has it's own rules with concepts that look familiar. To what is to my understanding is, since SE is more open to the community that we all of a sudden feel the need to comment and complain about everything and think we know better about MMORPG development and management.

___Just thought I wanted to interject and give my opinion on this "hate issue" because it's irrelevant(there's no comparing PvE with PvP because it's not out yet!), when basing it on roles the players need to play during a battle, you either know or you don't know how it's going to turn out!

___Some how, you(as in the one taking action) have to control, decide and manage your abilities and actions to either get or remove hate. I don't see where -/+ Enmity stats play a part in anything... I do understand, there's gear, food and abilities that remove or add Enmity(again, you control that).

...You can't tell a programmer what to program and how to program unless you have a clear, inside understanding on what the programmer's working with and why. Game mechanics should be suggested in lames-terms as to for example: "why is I'm getting more hate and he's not getting any at all after <this action and that>"?

I think "hate management/ generation" should be down to a science by now... Look at you attributes and your stats, manage it!
    (7)
    Last edited by PSxpert2011; 07-02-2012 at 06:30 AM.

~'\[[_LEGACY_]]/'~
    TENTs because solo-friendly content forces me to want one!
    (HP + Instantly logout anywhere)

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/my/
    *Excalibur* Nation: Limsa Laminsa

Player
    Character
    Frein Mannis
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by yukikaze_yanagi View Post
    1) balance between aggro generation and survivability is like balance for accuracy and offensive stats for melees and mages, nothing new here. If anything, defence it's a useless stat like is working now on bosses and highter level mobs. If you feel it wrong, ask to be reworked instead touching enmity+/-
    It's not the same at all. Accuracy is an offensive stat just like the rest of them and they all generally work under all circumstances. A damage dealer looks for the optimal distribution of stats to maximize his damage output, a tank looks for the optimal distribution of stats... to do what? To hold hate? Or to survive? They're two completely different choices.

2)And the problem is ? In every game with pve/pvp, people have 2 different sets with gear focused on pvp, what's the problem ?
    No, in every game people don't have separate sets or at the very least there is much overlap potential. Not so with enmity, which does nothing at all if hate management is not relevant.

3)look first answer. And actually in the long run, a proper tank never allow a dd to surpass it. You're looking to mistress, where dd go in full attack immediatly, or a soo-soo war
    This makes no sense to me.

@PSXpert2011

Your post reads like a combination of white knighting and nonsense. You don't even seem to have any arugments, only blind faith in SE's design. That worked really well in beta.
    (6)
    Last edited by Frein; 07-02-2012 at 06:33 AM.

Player
    Character
    Myrhn Shirayuki
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Frein View Post
    It's not the same at all. Accuracy is an offensive stat just like the rest of them and they all generally work under all circumstances. A damage dealer looks for the optimal distribution of stats to maximize his damage output, a tank looks for the optimal distribution of stats... to do what? To hold hate? Or to survive? They're two completely different choices.
    A tank looks for optimal distribution of stats to hold hate and survive. If a tank can't survive and die there is a big chance that the whole party will die and if a tank can't hold hate there is a big chance that the whole party will die too, so in general a tank should aim for both of them and not just one of them.
    (4)
    I love the official forums, they tell you to use the search for thread about what you wanted to talk but when you use it they judge for necro a thread.

Player
    Character
    Frein Mannis
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrhn View Post
    A tank looks for optimal distribution of stats to hold hate and survive. If a tank can't survive and die there is a big chance that the whole party will die and if a tank can't hold hate there is a big chance that the whole party will die too, so in general a tank should aim for both of them and not just one of them.
    Correct, but these goals are to some extent mutually exclusive while the ACC vs ATK goals are not. Every point of +Enmity means less DEF, VIT, HP and so on, but every point of ACC still means more damage even if ATK is sacrificed.

The more geared the DDs are the more the tank needs +Enmity to keep parity. The more +Enmity the tank has, the squishier he is. Therefore DD growth is linear while tank growth could in theory even reverse as far as survivability goes.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Yuki Ynagi
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50

No, in every game people don't have separate sets or at the very least there is much overlap potential. Not so with enmity, which does nothing at all if hate management is not relevant.

This makes no sense to me.

@PSXpert2011

Your post reads like a combination of white knighting and nonsense. You don't even seem to have any arugments, only blind faith in SE's design. That worked really well in beta.
    You posts are quite offensive for an harmless subject like enmity gear
    -no, it's really the same. Accuracy help you missing less, which in a way is add attack. But when you stack much, it's pointless. It's the same with enmity+, when you reach a decent amount you don't add more.
    Also, a tank (and a dd) neet to BALANCE his attributes. Going full enimy+ it's pointless like going full hp. Why ? Because you can have the best survivability gear on the road, but if you loose hate at first nuke, you're just useless.

-then i would ask you what game you play, because no good player would use pve gear in pvp...

-basicly, a good tank never loose enmity if you give him a min at beginning of fight, which don't happen in a couple of situations, but no more of that
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Frein Mannis
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by yukikaze_yanagi View Post
    Accuracy help you missing less, which in a way is add attack. But when you stack much, it's pointless. It's the same with enmity+, when you reach a decent amount you don't add more.
    No, it's not the same. Yes, you will cap out on ACC, but the tank will in fact never cap out on +Enmity. This is because your ACC needs are based on the enemy you're fighting while the tank's +Enmity need is based on the gear level of the DDs. The enemy's stats do not change, the DDs' stats do.

Also, a tank (and a dd) neet to BALANCE his attributes. Going full enimy+ it's pointless like going full hp. Why ? Because you can have the best survivability gear on the road, but if you loose hate at first nuke, you're just useless.
    Yes, and now you're in a rather unpleasant situation. If your full +Enmity set makes you too weak to survive, yet you find it necessary to keep up with DD enmity output, you've effectively capped DD progression. Even if the DDs outfit themselves with better gear, they will not be able to utilize it and will have to hold back because the tank can't keep up. The only way the tank would be able to keep up and allow the DDs to use their new gear would be to wear more +Enmity, but if he does that, he will not survive, so it's not an option.

-then i would ask you what game you play, because no good player would use pve gear in pvp...
    WoW had (I guess still has) the most competitive MMO PVP scene ever and many times it was correct to wear PVE items to PVP. Likewise, the best PVP sets were often very good (though not the absolute best) for PVE.

-basicly, a good tank never loose enmity if you give him a min at beginning of fight, which don't happen in a couple of situations, but no more of that
    There is no content in FFXIV where you'd want to give the tank a couple mins as you're always penalized for doing so. Besides, that's just another way of capping DD progression. If your DDs can't go all out from the get go to shave as many seconds from the fight as possible, what's the point of getting better gear for them? You'd just have to wait even longer for the tank to establish enough of a head start.
    (4)
    Last edited by Frein; 07-02-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Player
    Character
    Mementus Veventus
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    There is no content in FFXIV where you'd want to give the tank a couple mins as you're always penalized for doing so. Besides, that's just another way of capping DD progression. If your DDs can't go all out from the get go to shave as many seconds from the fight as possible, what's the point of getting better gear for them? You'd just have to wait even longer for the tank to establish enough of a head start.
    Its as much the dd's job not to rip hate from the tank as it is the tanks job to keep it. Most jobs capable of dishing out damage have access to archer - emnity abilities so it goes without saying knowing when to use them and when to restrain yourself will go a long way in not getting yourself/your party killed. Coincounter for example has an emnity reset ability and if you as a dd just mindlessly aim for the highest numbers possible without regard for everything going on around you then your going to get hurt. There will be moments where you will be able to take full advantage of your dd gear but if you were able to all the time then you may as well just be on auto pilot.

A dd's emnity scales with the lv of the enemy it it is fighting as well as it's gear the stronger the enemy becomes the less emnity a dd will be getting where as a tanks emnity will always be the same when it comes to the hate abilities its using so it works both ways even with the best gear the melee dd may be playing catch up. It doesnt help at the moment that melee dd's and even tanks are particularly fragile making it harder for Pld's to take advantage of holy succor's intended use i.e to heal others and get more emnity from doing that. Maybe SE will bring out some more materia with dual stats like emnity and vit/hp so that you can invest in both a bit.
    (4)
    Last edited by Alaltus; 07-02-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast