Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player

Battle Formations

( First of all sorry for any grammatical mistakes, but english is not my mother language )

Well i'm writing this post in order to discuss with you a thing that i think that would improve battle tactics of ARR a lot : Battle Formations
    With Battle Formations i mean receiving bonus for some kind of party setup . For example, having a Paladin in the middle, a Warrior to the left, a monk to the right and a dragoon to the back would give some substantial bonus to all those members. For this to happen everyone needed to be in some kind of special party formation for example:

(Monk +5% elemental dmg) -> ( Paladin +5% Def ) <- ( War +5% dmg )
    ......................................................... !...............................................
    ................................................(Drg + 5% crit )....................................

Total Bonus to all these members would be ( + 5% elm. dmg. +5% def + 5% dmg +5 & crit dmg )

The bonus from the battle formation could also change with the positions ( for ex. if you had only a pal and a war at the front you would get + 10% def ).
    I think these battle formations would be an awsome form of promoting not only class variety ( class stacking would bring no benefit to bonus ) and also implement a great strategic element to the game , changing the formation bonus accordingly to the situation )

Ps: I think the other classes (whm / blm and arch ) should also enter in these formations, i just didn't put them, to try to keep the post simple .

Pss: It would be great if there were some kind of special atacks linked to these formations like dragoons jumping on top of pals in order to jump higher and so on

Once again, sorry for any grammatical mistakes, and i would like to know what do you think about this

(EDIT)

Well here's the scheme explaining the idea. Sory for the quality. In order to see it better and read the text, open it in a new tab or save it to your desktop , i'll try to upload a better one later )

/
    (6)
    Last edited by KurtzStrife; 01-23-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Character
    Wolfie Wu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Counter proposal: have monsters that actually require you to position properly and move around, change targets, and do other things that require player movement; instead of monsters that just sit there and auto-attack you and occasionally do an AOE attack.
    (13)

Player
    Character
    Rau Berlioz
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Can't I just spam thunder -> thundara all day?
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eemeefu View Post
    This thread is not a beautiful or unique snowflake.

Player
    Character
    Einsof Zeb
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Counter proposal: have monsters that actually require you to position properly and move around, change targets, and do other things that require player movement; instead of monsters that just sit there and auto-attack you and occasionally do an AOE attack.
    Or this. I hate to bring up FFXI, but it had a pretty good system as far as party positioning. Thief positioning and being able to SATA off another player was very dynamic (though some would probably say it got old). More elements that require clever and accurate use of position would be sweet.

Formations like that one's in OP would only be beneficial isncertain circumstances and battles in XIV are so fast that I question how useful they'd be or how practical since you wouldn't want to walk up to Garuda and try to get people aligned just so for 5%.
    (7)
    Last edited by EinSoFZ; 01-23-2013 at 04:43 AM.

Character
    Wolfie Wu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by EinSoFZ View Post
    Or this. I hate to bring up FFXI, but it had a pretty good system as far as party positioning. Thief positioning and being able to SATA off another player was very dynamic (though some would probably say it got old). More elements that require clever and accurate use of position would be sweet.

Formations like that one's in OP would only be beneficial isncertain circumstances and battles in XIV are so fast that I question how useful they'd be or how practical since you wouldn't want to walk up to Garuda and try to get people aligned just so for 5%.
    I mean, I understand and like what the OP is trying to achieve: non-static fights and class variety in parties.

I just think a different approach is needed.

Fights that naturally require repositioning and moving around is better than offering some stat boosts for arranging yourself.

And duplicating certain required buffs/debuffs on different classes, and balancing damage output/intake is also better than giving bonuses for having diversity. The former promotes diversity by allowing for a "bring the player, not the class" mentality. The latter forces class diversity by penalizing those who don't diversify, and you just know someone's going to parse out the data and come up with the ideal class composition.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Doctor Mog
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 51
    YES PLEASE.

Add to that:

Incapacitation
    Mechanics like Thief from FF11. Something similar on each class, where position helps a skill.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Ark Elladan
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    I like most of these ideas they definitely should be looked at. I also think it would be cool if mobs had weak spots, such as when you attack a crab you can't hit it on its shell you have to stand right in front of it to do good damage. As a Bard/Ranger you can get the high ground so to speak and do more damage from elevated locations. Systems that worked in XI were running on fafnirs feet to prevent certain actions happening etc. I think making the battle more interesting then pressing 1-10 would make the game much more awesome.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Ragento Guarra
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    i have an idea, kinda putting this out there without putting a whole lot of thought into it.

have a system where an attack by one player causes a weakness on the mob depending on the position

example: lets say they add musketeer, the musketeer shoots the mob with a skill on the right side of the mob, well now there is a exit wound on the left side of the mob that gives a melee an increases dmg for a few seconds on the left, so you can almost link weopon skills together in a skill chain sort of way but with a unique positioning spin on it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Indira Cliodhna
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    tank and spank has become the MMO norm. good luck seeing anything else deeper. they even said there removing combo positioning after the first WS.
    (0)

Character
    Wolfie Wu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by indira View Post
    tank and spank has become the MMO norm. good luck seeing anything else deeper.
    I take it you actually haven't played any (good) MMOs after FFXI, because this is the complete opposite of what's happening.
    (1)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast