Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Community Rep

Chat Log Time Stamps

We've seen requests from players asking about adding time stamps to chat logs. We actually save the the time of each message internally, so it's certainly possible to display it technically speaking.

However, since there would be a heavy load placed on the system if you change the display setting in real time, we have to carefully evaluate this addition for version 2.0.

We'd like to hear your thoughts on it so we can pass them along to the dev. team!
    (36)
    Bethany "Rukkirii" Stout - Community Team

Player
    Character
    Emmalynn Tsukiko
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    Why not have the time-stamp work from the System Clock in the PC/Console.

It's in my understanding that this is how other games do time-stamps.
    (16)

Player
    Character
    Zalim Ramuh
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 50
    Id think its a good idea. Just hope people don't find ways to exploit it if using the system clock.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Bobbin Threadbare
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    I think this is important regardless. And having the ability to save those automatically in local PC would be appreciated.
    (0)

I think timestamps would be great especially reading logs when you get messages/requests in LS chat from other players and do not know when you got them. It would definitely help with organizing and promoting community. I cannot measure its value against the cost in system resources without knowing what that cost would be first. Having it generated local sounds good but I am uncertain what kind of exploits that might open up.

As for game play, it is very useful in timing actions and learning about the time cost of whatever your char is doing. Of course this is something that would make the game easier so people might not want that kind of advantage added. I have manually had to add my own time stamps via echo during game play and it is tedious but not horrible so I say soft yes with an indication that I would like to see other player's comments so I have an idea of what the down side is to adding time stamps vs not.
    (1)

Strix: "Behold this collection of grimoires of legend! Feel their power and puissance, and let it fill you with rapturous pleasure...then DIE!"

<>.<>.<>
    Hai! I'm Vahl, in ur mmorpgs, sort'n my inventory and putt'n 2 many H's in my name since FFXI..
    FFXIV Inventory Tetris Champ

Player
    Character
    Fey Nafilia
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 74
    +1 for time stamps.

I'm afk a lot and never know if I should respond to shouts or LS messages when I come back. They may be from one minute or from one hour ago after all.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Crim Soukyuu
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukkirii View Post
    However, since there would be a heavy load placed on the system if you change the display setting in real time, we have to carefully evaluate this addition for version 2.0.
    Uh... just ... add/remove the timestamp to the next display message displayed instead of updating the whole chatlog? o.o

Is it a case of "why simple if you can complicate it" or am I missing something?
    (1)

[ AMD Phenom II X4 970BE@4GHz | 12GB DDR3-RAM@CL7 | nVidia GeForce 260GTX OC | Crucial m4 SSD ]

Player
    Character
    Khatus Strophus
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    This is a fantastic idea! I do not think it needs to be the time stamp saved on the server. Rather, just use the client time. It's only purpose is to show the log progression to the player. Who said what and when, relative to his/her own time frame (PC or PS3 time).

There is a chance that the user may change their regional setting or actual clock during play, but this is a very small chance I think. The great majority of users will not be doing this. Just add a note to the release that mention the clock display in the log window is always the user's system time.

This should have little impact on the client and server load. Allowing the log to save will be a bonus!
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Timestamp should definitely be an option.

In most other MMOs when you toggle the timestamp, it simply applies the change to the incoming text and does not change whatever is already loaded on screen. I believe that should reduce your load problem to some degree.
    (0)
    Draw swords and shatter shields with us!
    Apply to Neutral Impact today!

http://www.impact-gaming.us

Player
    Character
    Y'ahte Tia
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Soukyuu View Post
    Uh... just ... add/remove the timestamp to the next display message displayed instead of updating the whole chatlog? o.o

Is it a case of "why simple if you can complicate it" or am I missing something?
    I don't think that the time data is stored as an actual timestamp, but as a UNIX time... What would make it completely unreadable if you don't know what it means at all
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast