Player
    Character
    Crim Soukyuu
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Skies View Post
    I don't think that the time data is stored as an actual timestamp, but as a UNIX time... What would make it completely unreadable if you don't know what it means at all
    If you mean UTC, windows doesn't use it. It uses local time, so retrieving PC clock time is not a problem. What they seem to try to do is update past messages with a timestamp, which would indeed cause some processing issues, but is totally unnecessary. If the user switches timestamp on, it should merely prepend it on the next message.
    (1)

[ AMD Phenom II X4 970BE@4GHz | 12GB DDR3-RAM@CL7 | nVidia GeForce 260GTX OC | Crucial m4 SSD ]

Player
    Character
    Y'ahte Tia
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Soukyuu View Post
    If you mean UTC, windows doesn't use it. It uses local time, so retrieving PC clock time is not a problem. What they seem to try to do is update past messages with a timestamp, which would indeed cause some processing issues, but is totally unnecessary. If the user switches timestamp on, it should merely prepend it on the next message.
    Nnnnope, not UTC Soukyuu. UNIX timestamp... Which is a measure that says "X seconds have passed since midnight of January 1st 1970".

Which is all but unreadable for a human. Also what computers tend to use most often.

Also I doubt that they ACTUALLY retrieve clock time and that instead the log messages are timestamped with the server's time, and that putting timestamps right now would require the client to convert it into local time.

At least, that's the most plausible explanation of all.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Felix Valmont
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 35
    if its going to strain server response times, why even bring it up? id rather the server be strained elsewhere than with something as pointless and mundane as time stamps. Who gives a crap who said what @ what time.

It adds nothing to the game nor does it add to my level of enjoying the game.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Y'ahte Tia
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Valmonte View Post
    if its going to strain server response times, why even bring it up? id rather the server be strained elsewhere than with something as pointless and mundane as time stamps. Who gives a crap who said what @ what time.

It adds nothing to the game nor does it add to my level of enjoying the game.
    Someone asked, JP-side, about it. So since it was answered they translated it for us
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Crim Soukyuu
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Skies View Post
    Nnnnope, not UTC Soukyuu. UNIX timestamp... Which is a measure that says "X seconds have passed since midnight of January 1st 1970".
    I thought that was UTC but looks like it's not.

There is no reason they would use that though, windows doesn't use it anywhere cause it's not based on UNIX

Quote Originally Posted by Valmonte View Post
    if its going to strain server response times, why even bring it up?
    It should not put any strain on the server, displaying timestamps in server time is useless, not to mention ridiculous design-wise.
    (1)

[ AMD Phenom II X4 970BE@4GHz | 12GB DDR3-RAM@CL7 | nVidia GeForce 260GTX OC | Crucial m4 SSD ]

Player
    Character
    Punainen Drak
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    Yes, I want timestamps too. I've had so many instances of receiving a /tell while I was AFK, and coming back and having NO idea how long ago it was that I got it.
    (1)

Character
    N'aivir Alexaire
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 70
    It would be nice to have.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jinko Jinko
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Why not just have the client add a timestamp to the log entry on the players PC
    (C:\Users\****\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV\user\0141E71B\log)
    Its really quite simple and doesn't have to have anything to do with the server side of things.

Have the system always log this data and then players can change the settings to either show or hide the timestamp.
    (0)
    Last edited by Jinko; 06-25-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Player
    Character
    Indra Spharai
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 80
    I dont see any technical limitations tbh. The time stamp should be client side and using the local time/TZ settings. Servers should have no part in this as it is only a convenience feature and accuracy* is not required.

If implemented, a check box should be present to show or hide time stamps. It could also be a little button on the chat window to make the show/hide action even faster.

*accuracy of your system clock.
    (1)
    Last edited by Maxwell; 06-26-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Bad spelling

Player
    Character
    Laraul Lunacy
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukkirii View Post
    We've seen requests from players asking about adding time stamps to chat logs. We actually save the the time of each message internally, so it's certainly possible to display it technically speaking.

However, since there would be a heavy load placed on the system if you change the display setting in real time, we have to carefully evaluate this addition for version 2.0.
    LOL... no you wouldn't have to cuz it would put a lot less load than the /clock command, the game clock, the timer tab in the attributes, etc. Yeah time stamps are not going to be a burden on the server.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast