Player
    Character
    Tira Mu
    World
    Raiden
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90

Materia melding question

I'm melding materia onto my crafters and have been for a while, but recently - like post lv70 I've noticed that materia stats start to cap red.

For example:

On a pair of Swallowskin Shoes I have 2 Craftsmans Command VI materia. The first is red capped at +11 and the second at +0.

But on my Dwarven Cotton Jacket I have 2 VIII's and they arent capped, which seems inconsistent.

Is there some kind of overall stat cap going on? Basically, is anyone able to explain whats going on with this?
    (0)
    WHM / BLM / SMN / NIN/ DNC / Omnicrafter and Gatherer

Player
    Character
    Azuri Aeru
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Look at the bottom of the menu while melding. Every piece can only have so much of a given substat, determined by its item level.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Frizze Steeleblaze
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Yeah, there are stat limits based on slot and ilvl for each piece. For combat gear, each substat has the same caps accross the board. But with crafting and gathering gear, there are certain pieces with high craftsmanship/gathering, and others with high control/perception. If youre using a tool like ariyala(i say tool - its a website and not at all against ToS) to plan out melds in advance/outside of the game, it will have these stat caps pre-loaded. If youre looking at them in game, then as Azuri points out you can see the limit per-piece at the bottom of the melding window.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Tira Mu
    World
    Raiden
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Thanks both, that makes sense. I'll check that website out too, it sounds like it'll help.
    (0)
    WHM / BLM / SMN / NIN/ DNC / Omnicrafter and Gatherer