Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    Player
    Character
    Terak Alonia
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    I tried Win 8 Beta for the last few months and it has many differences. I have not found any degredation of FFXIV using Win 8. The only problem I ran into was that NVIDIA was a bit slow getting the drivers for their new boards out there. Same story for DirectX. But everything works now and the new features are nice once you get used to them.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Crim Soukyuu
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    They have fixed that, and turning of UAC is irresponsible even if you practice good security in all other areas. You should never ever be running ordinary programs with administrator privileges unless the program absolutely needs them. The only POSSIBLE exception is on a computer that is not and will never be connected to the internet.

UAC was terrible in windows vista, but in windows 7 it does its job much better and when configured properly, does it's job without being overly disruptive. Windows 7 drastically reduced the situations in which you are prompted for elevation by default. It should never be turned off completely unless there is absolutely no way to make a (mainly older) program work.
    I am not going to be bothered by all the dual session problem that creep up, for example not being able to control a user level audio player via global hotkeys once you start a game that needs administrator privileges. What exactly is irresponsible about turning off UAC? Will some puppies die once I do that? My computers has been safe for over 10 years now and not once did I infect myself with anything malicious. Just use a decent antivirus.

With UAC turned off, you may as well post your administrator password on Facebook.
    To be honest, using facebook has more risks than turning UAC off. At least you can turn it back on, with FB deleting info you once posted doesn't matter as they save it on their end anyway. This aside though, with people being behind a router with NAT on, there is little chance of someone accessing your PC directly.

It all comes down to your behavior. UAC is a safeguard for users not fully aware of what they are doing. You can view turning off UAC as irresponsible, I view it as taking the responsibility for whatever might happen and getting a more uninterrupted workflow as a result. And if I happen to come across some fishy executable, I have an antivirus and sandboxie.

Run the game in a full-screen sized window, and set UAC to not dim the desktop, and UAC will never crash the game. do this and alt tab will never crash the game either. It's not a 100% perfect solution because yes, you will still at least see part of the title bar, but that's a small price to pay for the ability to do those things.
    You forgot the 5-10fps drop, depending on your graphics hardware and settings. Win7 (and I think Win8) only stops rendering the desktop and Aero if a program switches to exclusive mode.
    (0)

[ AMD Phenom II X4 970BE@4GHz | 12GB DDR3-RAM@CL7 | nVidia GeForce 260GTX OC | Crucial m4 SSD ]

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8