Character
    Alhanelem Amidatelion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly_Millions View Post
    so does windowed mode, fyi.
    UAC crashes can be avoided by disabling the 'secure desktop" (called dimming the desktop in win7) which causes UAC prompts to appear on the normal desktop instead. The secure desktop makes real, official windows prompts and warnings easier to distinguish from fakes by placing them on the dimmed screen which only the OS can access. But largely because it's on by default, i've never seen or heard of any malware that makes fake UAC prompts appear.
    (1)

Player
    I love Windows 7 (64bit-Ultimate), but I wouldn't touch Windows 8 with a 100ft long pole for supporting a tablet UI on a desktop PC.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Indira Cliodhna
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    windows 8 FTL i hope windows 7 stays around like xp
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Crim Soukyuu
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Win8 made the mistake of forcing the tablet UI on a desktop system. They should have made Metro run as a Desktop application, not vice versa. And since ARM can't run windows programs anyway, there would be no mixup.

Metro is good on a touchscreen, but for mice, it sucks. I tried both the consumer and the release preview and it's a complete mess of metro intruding on aero and vice versa, like half of the control panel still being aero.

Oh and it refuses to see my wlan network while showing others :P

I did like the improvements they did to the system overall and windows explorer, less 3rd party application needed. But that's still not worth coping with the Metro UI. I hope win9 will have a split between desktop and tablet, else I guess I'll stick with win7 forever.

As for Aero hogging resources, that was true for vista, WDDM1.1 stops rendering aero once your application switches to fullscreen. And by fullscreen, I mean true fullscreen (exclusive mode), not that "borderless window" most people seem to use to stop ffxiv from crashing.
    (0)
    Last edited by Soukyuu; 06-02-2012 at 08:05 AM.

[ AMD Phenom II X4 970BE@4GHz | 12GB DDR3-RAM@CL7 | nVidia GeForce 260GTX OC | Crucial m4 SSD ]

Quote Originally Posted by Zenaku View Post
    I think window 8 should have been a Window 7 SP2 but you know that just me lol
    No, it should have been but you see this is a world where people don't give a shit about how they spend their money. Gamers are more than happy to pay for the same game twice, I mean the $50-$60 on a game plus the god knows how many $100s you'll spend just to unlock data already present on the disk isn't enough, so why not charge people for OS updates (windows wise)?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Viritess Vonschalt
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    No, it should have been but you see this is a world where people don't give a shit about how they spend their money. Gamers are more than happy to pay for the same game twice, I mean the $50-$60 on a game plus the god knows how many $100s you'll spend just to unlock data already present on the disk isn't enough, so why not charge people for OS updates (windows wise)?
    Indeed. Release day DLC for $$ is without doubt the best money making trick in the bizz for single player especially right now. Never mind the often questionable amount of content provided in many DLCs provided later on. Theres alot of games i like and love, but not enough to spend 10 dollars on a weapon skin.

"Dark days are ahead" for pricing plans in part because people have shown a willingness to pay for it...
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Velhart Aurion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 80
    The tablet interface for Windows in my opinion is a complete unorganized mess. I have a hard time turning on my 360 because of the new, horrid interface they use. I understand being hip and flashy, but the interface looks like something a 3rd grader made with construction paper.

Some may like it, but I find it unbearable.
    (4)

Character
    Kerwin Nindon
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 90
    This thread is now a Linux thread.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerwin View Post
    This thread is now a Linux thread.
    That's cool w/ me... it'd be the best thing ever if game developers worldwide quit supporting DirectX and started supporting OpenGL so their games could run on Linux. >,<;;
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Bizzy Bee
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 80
    I been reading up on Windows 8 and I decided that this is the first version I will pass on. I gotten 98, me, xp, vista, and now 7. Out of all these XP and 7 were the best. I like having the boot up screen and the start menu. I don't know why microcrap would remove these. I have had no problems with 7, so I'll stick with that.
    (2)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast