Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Character
    Alhanelem Amidatelion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Guild Wars 2 has life in its NPCs, its dynamic events, and its not so repetitive quests. Yes you kill mobs in most of them. But you are working towards something. If you don't defend the keep from the centaurs, they over take it. When they overtake it, you must overtake it. Not as easy as it seems unless you have atleast 7-10 people doing it and even then it can be hard
    Sounds exactly like besieged. FFXI had this, and you can be sure that XIV will probably do it eventually (e.g. after 2.0)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sky Box
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 55
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Sounds exactly like besieged. FFXI had this, and you can be sure that XIV will probably do it eventually (e.g. after 2.0)
    Besieged never took over tho, they would just leave. And it was always at a specific time, not spontanous. Also NPC's would be at random removed, and you'd have to go get them, it wouldnt be something you actually saw, you dont see anyone running around screaming, NPC's just vanish, then "maybe" come back, so a system like it, but more improved, where the whole of Uldah could get attacked, dont defend it, then you lose ward access XD cant tele there and mobs litter the streets.

if only XD
    (4)

Player

GW2 has a better game design than FFXIV as far as events and features go, just accept that already.
    (3)

Character
    Alhanelem Amidatelion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Besieged never took over tho, they would just leave. And it was always at a specific time, not spontanous.
    That's completely wrong. Besieged was not at set times. and they don't "take over" because that's not their objective. Their objective is the Candy, and that's the only reason they're attacking. However, they also take prisoners, and the city does change as a result. the impact lasts until something is done about it by the players. It's really no different except in level of sophistication- which ffxi did a lot with considering the limitations it was under.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ast Rid
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    For stuff like behests where you have to talk to a person to queue, and then wait for it to start, a system where it just happens on its own and anyone can join would definitely be better. It would cuts out a lot of the clutter, facilitate playing with each other, removes the issue of feeling like there's a deadline, and removes the issue leaving players out if they miss that deadline. Something spontaneous would definitely be better.

The empire invasion stuff is sort of like this, though I've only done it once as I am a bit of a noob, I talked to an npc and then started killing. I don't know if talking to the npc was necessary, but there was a pretty large battle that followed and I thought it was pretty cool. It was spontaneous (or it seemed like it since i didnt know about it), anyone could join, stuff like this should be expanded and developed further.

From my understanding, the difference between that empire invasion and GW2 is just that GW2 has some branching based on how successful you are. Seems pretty interesting, but still, I think people are overblowing how much of a game changer this is. It's definitely better than stuff like, say, behests, but I really don't think I'm going to give a crap whether Old McDonald is able to sell some carrots to me if I fail to save them from the centaurs. That is secondary to making the world feel alive, which is the main thing, and thats just how GW2 approaches it. In the end, for me, automated events are still automated events, whether branching or not, and after a few times doing them I can't imagine they would feel all that fresh, eventually you're going to exhaust the possible outcomes and it will still feel like any other theme park mmo.
    (1)
    Last edited by casker; 05-15-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Character
    Alhanelem Amidatelion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    I don't know if talking to the npc was necessary, but there was a pretty large battle that followed and I thought it was pretty cool.
    It is if you want rewards, but the NPCs show up regardless of whether you join the fight (Unlike levequests where the enemies/NPCs don't exist unless you're on the quest) The only real defect in this event is that if no players are involved, the enemies just wait around. They should add some NPC fighters or something so that it looks more active.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sky Box
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 55
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    That's completely wrong. Besieged was not at set times. and they don't "take over" because that's not their objective. Their objective is the Candy, and that's the only reason they're attacking. However, they also take prisoners, and the city does change as a result. the impact lasts until something is done about it by the players. It's really no different except in level of sophistication- which ffxi did a lot with considering the limitations it was under.
    Not wrong, you can open your map and see their forces, once it hits 100% they attack, you can nudge these down, delay a little, but no one really did, and even the slighest nudge didnt make much difference so they attacked pretty much same time each day, but regardless you always knew when they were going to attack, there was no element of surprise. But i guess that is OK.

I know their object was not to take over, but I would like that, ala Campaign.

Read the rest of the post before replying because everything you state after I already said.
    (0)

Player

Nice to know that this is now the GW2 Appreciation forums.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Marin Kitigawa
    World
    Marilith
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterytaru View Post
    Nice to know that this is now the GW2 Appreciation forums.
    No this is a "I appreciate that this other game is doing something great" and "I hope SE can gain something from it and implement there own spin of it" thread.

If you can't see the value of what other games offer than you're mind is closed. I keep it open because I want this game to flourish.
    (2)
    Last edited by Icehunter; 05-16-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Icehunter View Post
    No this is a "I appreciate that this other game is doing something great" and "I hope SE can gain something from it and implement there own spin of it" thread.

If you can't see the value of what other games offer than you're mind is closed. I keep it open because I want this game to flourish.
    I read the thread. It's a big GW2 circle-jerk.
    (0)

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast