Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 101
  1. #71
    Player
    Griss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Void
    Posts
    1,794
    Character
    Griss Stilgar
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    THAUMATURGE Lv 50
    In this thread we see fanatics of two tribes clash.
    (0)
    An Aware, Informed, and Critical community is vital for the success of a game.
    ~ John "Totalbiscuit" Bain

  2. #72
    Player
    MrKupo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    427
    Character
    Kupo Storaifo
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    FISHERMAN Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by viion View Post
    See you are again totally misguided, you're forming an opinion without any knowledge on the subject. The whole Chain is like 20% of the system, there is another 80% of the system you're completely missing. There is no "Reset" on quest line, it isnt even a quest line, there is non, they're events. There is story also, plenty of lore.

    Its Dynamic.

    Also GW2 has position based combat, thats old, it also lets you equip multiple weapons, the crafting system in XIV is nothing good, people hate hating it hence why it got dumbed down so much. Graphics are only good because copy/paste, expect a reduce in graphics (we've already been told) in 2.0 lol




    The crops are gone until real world changes happen, not magically viola they reappear, it could take days, weeks, depending on the content, Because when they're gone, the farmer needs to start from scratch, they need to increase their prices to pay for the cost of the loss, thus it has consequences, which you pay for, for not protecting, and then it will get back. It could get attacked again the mean time tho.

    Its all player controlled.

    Some stuff, like bridges breaking or doors smashing, they are permanent until player goes and sorts it, like repairing.
    Dude... I watched the Dev video on top of gameplay videos. I've done my research because I actually had an interest in the game. It is a quest line. The results of the events will lead to one or the other. They are quest lines akin to many of the fork style quest lines of about a million RPGs today. So you can do the same quest one way once and have different quests because of the way you did it. Then you can go back later and do the same quest again but in a different way and that will unlock a different set of quests. The quests available to you are dependent on what happens earlier. If you miss those first quests, you'll miss why the bridge was destroyed and why you have to do those specific quests. At least that'll be the case until the set of quests resets back.
    (0)

    When all else fails, Heck the Bed.

  3. #73
    Player Alhanelem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,948
    Character
    Alhanelem Amidatelion
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    ARCANIST Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by viion View Post
    It does, because there is lots of stuff to the quest system, there isnt "Go talk to X, go kill Y, finish back at X" which is XIV's tool, that is skipped by not even talking in GW2, and then there is tons more features on top which make the questing system so much more unique and better.

    You can white knight out your ass for sure, but you cant sit there and say XIV is doing it right and doesnt need improving.
    I'm not white knighting, but you sure are black knighting. Nowhere did I, or even anyone else in this thread say ffxiv is perfect and doesn't need any improvements. However, it doesn't have to copy some other game in order to improve.

    At least that'll be the case until the set of quests resets back.
    Therein lies my point. You do get the "living" feel, but you have a cycle that eventually repeats. Nothing you do has a permanent impact. GW2 seems to me to be masking the flaws of an old system more than truly correcting them. I'm not saying it's a bad game either, but you're basically coming into this thread, slamming FFXIV, and lavishing GW2 with praise, without a lot of substance to explain your position. Any time someone pokes holes in your argument, they're "white knighting." I've seen this time and time again.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 05-14-2012 at 06:22 AM.

  4. #74
    Player
    viion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Uldah
    Posts
    4,206
    Character
    Premium Virtue
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    MARAUDER Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKupo View Post
    Dude... I watched the Dev video on top of gameplay videos. I've done my research because I actually had an interest in the game. It is a quest line. The results of the events will lead to one or the other. They are quest lines akin to many of the fork style quest lines of about a million RPGs today. So you can do the same quest one way once and have different quests because of the way you did it. Then you can go back later and do the same quest again but in a different way and that will unlock a different set of quests. The quests available to you are dependent on what happens earlier. If you miss those first quests, you'll miss why the bridge was destroyed and why you have to do those specific quests. At least that'll be the case until the set of quests resets back.

    So clueless, you have absolutely no idea, i can tell by just the complete lack of knowledge of anything you are saying, if you played the game you wouldnt say any of what you just said. So cant even be bothered to argue with you lol


    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I'm not white knighting, but you sure are black knighting. Nowhere did I, or even anyone else in this thread say ffxiv is perfect and doesn't need any improvements. However, it doesn't have to copy some other game in order to improve.
    And we are not saying copy, we mean TAKE IDEAS FROM.

    So yes you are white knighting like a king.

    Most suggestions dont want copy, they want influence, and its not against the fking rules to take influence from successful things, otherwise we wouldnt progress anywhere. XIV 1.0 is a clear example of that.
    (2)

  5. #75
    Player
    drivendawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    78
    Character
    Driven Dawn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    PUGILIST Lv 50
    Ok there are thousands of quests like those all over the world with countless scenarios and not just farms.So dont make misleading statements please and i know i played beta.
    (1)

  6. #76
    Player
    MrKupo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    427
    Character
    Kupo Storaifo
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    FISHERMAN Lv 50
    You won't just see the one event at this village. "We tried to layer multiple chains over the same locations," Johanson tells us, and this is why the player who logged out early may have to wait a while to see that event again. But that's not necessarily a bad thing; "Say you log off and your buddy has this awesome event on Friday night where he defends the frog-people's home city from Orrian undead that are trying to destroy the entire village,"
    What does that imply???? The events reset. A quote from an interview over at IGN.
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/108/1089082p1.html

    Upon Doing more research on this particular matter, I found more information on the way the questing works. You will have a chance to experience the quests you missed eventually based on this:

    Colin Johanson: They don't necessarily have an end. They're cyclical in nature, so as the events chain across the map they can be pushed back the other way, or the chain will alter and then come back around. It always feels like a natural chain where the course of events makes sense.
    But like I said before, this is a great innovation (despite people hyping it up to be more than it is). The rest of the game is a lot like any other MMO. Think about it, if the developers truly made an actual dynamic world, at some point the chains would have to end. All the dialogue and event triggers don't write themselves (unless of course the devs created that kind of AI system). The devs have stated that they made thousands of quests that chain together. At some point, all of those quests will have been completed by the players. It would be stupid to not have them repeat in some way or the other, because then they'd be stuck having to write new content only to be completed once (sometimes by a single player). The funny thing is that it is being hyped to the point that people are thinking that if you do something during a quest, you are going to effect the whole world permanently. You will do something and it'll effect the quest line and hopefully events that they are connected to. And then at some point, the villagers will find a way to build the bridge again so that new players have a chance to experience the amazing dynamic event.
    (1)
    Last edited by MrKupo; 05-14-2012 at 06:55 AM.

    When all else fails, Heck the Bed.

  7. #77
    Player
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    188
    im suppose to read this?
    (0)

  8. #78
    Player
    Amsai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    457
    Character
    Greedalox Blurflux
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    MARAUDER Lv 50
    I just want to have fun in my preferred fantasy setting, and I like the direction GW2 is going about their OW stuff. I really do like the dungeons, primals, lore, and story of FFXIV, just not much of the other stuff. I'll just say this last thing and I am done. I dont care how they implement it or what it is exactly, but this game desperately needs fun, enguaging, frivolous content. Not crap that requires 8 men, and nothing that has any real difficulty or serious rewards. Just stuff to do for the love of god, and just for FUN. It would really help break up the monotany of level grinding and EG content. If we can at least agree upon this, then its a step in the right direction. If you disagree with me, then I cant understand where you are coming from nor do I want to even try. Until next time SE fans!!! /bow.
    (3)

  9. #79
    Player
    Lux_Rayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    831
    Character
    M'lyndhis Khan
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    MINER Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by viion View Post
    Holy crap how dumb are you?

    XIV has nothing like this, no matter what you do, you will have the same boring quests as everyone else, which have no consequence, have no choice, and have no player control, zero, name me 1 quest where if I go and dont do something, the world will change. Would love to see it.
    Good lord relax. I love the GW franchise as much as you do, but its still a quest chain. That's all I was saying. The only difference it has from FFXIV is that you see it rather than imagine it. If I don't do a quest in FFXIV, I can imagine that that person's crops will be destroyed. Or maybe some other adventurer will come along and save their crops. Either way, I get to choose whether or not I do it, and the consequence is there for me to imagine. Older mmorpgs relied a lot on player imagination and "taking their word for it". If someone says I saved their crops than I will imagine I saved their crops. I dont need the game to show me that the crops are saved because the npc *told* me the crops were saved. If i chose not to say them its the same thing, I can imagine those crops got destroyed, or that the person will eventually find someone to save their crops. Either way the consequence is there, its just that it is there only in exposition..which relies on your imagination to make it "real".

    As I reiterated, GW2 takes out the exposition and actually *shows* you the consequences of doing/not doing a quest. You don't have to imagine it anymore. This is great if you never used your imagination, but if you've always been an imaginative sort its really not a whole lot different. Its still a quest chain, the consequences are still the same as always, its just now you get to actually experience the consequences firsthand. Different way of presenting the same quest-chain.
    (1)

  10. #80
    Player
    drivendawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    78
    Character
    Driven Dawn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    PUGILIST Lv 50
    Your missing the point they don't just show consequences.You have to do something about said consequences and they can very quite a bit depending on location.
    (1)

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast