Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90

What would make grinding more bearable?

^ I'm only giving the topic of discussion. Go for it.

(Parameters -- Not accepting the removal of grinding; instead, make it more interesting.)

I've seen some pretty good, often thorough, ideas on this forum so far and look forward to seeing what you guys can make of this topic, which, given FFXIV (and all MMO's really), seems to be a pretty important one.

but if u made grinding more interesting would it really be a grind, could you still call it a grind?
    I guess here we'll just be defining "grinding" as non-quest or exact-continuity-related killing / gathering. This will still exist even if "grinding" is no longer a "grind" / chore / immensely painful undertaking.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shurrikhan; 05-12-2012 at 07:36 AM.

Character
    Hiir Noivl
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Books/magazines on tape.

Watching your favorite movie or show.

Listening to the radio.

Posting on the forums

And of course, taking regular breaks!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Sephrick Markarius
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Mask it with quest-based progression that is more than "kill five marmots and bring me their hides."

Things like Toto Rak and Darkhold are a good template, minus the speed run thing.

A good game would have something like Grand Companies. Based on your level, the company would allow you to investigate certain dungeons. Explore the dungeon while getting exp, fight an end boss for bonus exp, get extra exp from the GC if you win all dungeons in a level range.

Then tie it all into the storyline. Have what happens in the dungeons play into the next big mission.

This system could take months to arrive at cap, but it'd at least feel like actively playing the game. My problem with killing the same mobs over and over is it feels disjointed from the rest of the experience. There's no real reason to be doing it other than that you have to.

The best part of old FF titles was just that. Leveling was paced to happen on your way to the next town or big battle. That's part of what made FF what it was just as much as Moogles and Cid. The feeling of always moving forward.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephrick View Post
    A good game would have something like Grand Companies. Based on your level, the company would allow you to investigate certain dungeons. Explore the dungeon while getting exp, fight an end boss for bonus exp, get extra exp from the GC if you win all dungeons in a level range.

Then tie it all into the storyline. Have what happens in the dungeons play into the next big mission.

This system could take months to arrive at cap, but it'd at least feel like actively playing the game. My problem with killing the same mobs over and over is it feels disjointed from the rest of the experience. There's no real reason to be doing it other than that you have to.
    Definitely this. Personally, when I first joined a company--or rather first started the Echo storyline even before that--I really thought these things would be coming into play. And if they were introduced, it would definitely be a step above other MMOs in place of where FFXIV is arguably a few steps below (not that grinding in any game is particularly fun, unless you have the means and incentives to challenge yourself, and do so in a sort of self-oriented learning experience).

That said, I'd still like to something to actually perk up the combat as a whole. In group fights we at least have added complexity, but soloing one comes to notice how dull the combat system is. That alone is crucial in grinding.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Master Matsume
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 50
    Better. Scenery.

Unique. Environments.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Curly Wurly
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 50
    being PL while afk watching a film or having sexy time with my wife? or 2 wifes O.o

but if u made grinding more interesting would it really be a grind, could you still call it a grind?

ide like to see more excitement more fun my idea of fun was doing beastmaster parties duo+ in ffxi or alliance as all pet groups i never had as much fun doing such boring things as when doing it as bst. even soloing was fun the moment u started not paying attention u had wabbits or some mad animals chaing you all over linking stuff... all i could think of was benny hill music..

i would also like to see the end of the dumb rubber banding of mobs due to bad pathing/scenery

i dont find exping so bad in parties in ffxiv its better than ffxi was for exp grinding i think, just gald most of its behind me now ..... until cap rise lol
    (0)