Player
    Character
    Deadly Swordz
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70

Making Money?

Hello. Firstly I would like to say that I just came back 1.5 weeks ago and I played throughout all the betas since Alpha1. When I tried crafting back then, it felt more of a minigame within FFXIV. How is it now? I am really not much into crafting in MMO's either, but the highest craft I have achieved was a 54Cloth in FFXI (yea, lol). In WoW I just did skinning and herbalism and had them capped. If I were to have a decent income in this game what are they crafts I should get into? (any support crafts I need to level?) Or, should I go into gathering classes etc?

Thanks!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Orophin Calmcacil
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Crafting is still more or less a minigame, but they've done a lot of revamps to it so that the abilities are more transparent in what they do and that the process goes a lot quicker.

If you want to make the most out of crafting you need to have multiple crafts leveled up to learn the different abilities to make HQ equipment.

If you want to make some easy money in the short term, I'd go with gathering. That way you will have a gatherer leveled up to gather your own materials when you go back and level your crafts, making your profits larger from not having to buy materials. Mining might be the more profitable one out of the three since 3 different crafts primarily make use of the ores and gemstones. I'd check your local server market though to see where you can make the best money.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Yoso Carrasco
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 74
    You don't necessarily need any support classes anymore, but like Orophin hinted at, if you want to take it seriously you will want to level multiple for an assortment of useful abilities.

With so many people returning to the game lately, you can make some decent money xping off of crafting equipment for the mid level ranges. I recommend taking advantage of Guildleves and their rewards as they give you materials used in the creation of the item in the leve, and you get even more free items if you do well enough. Of course, if you can farm or gather the materials it's much faster and still turns you a profit as you are getting them for free.

Personally, I make great money by making cheap L41+ items for people to Spiritbond and by selling L41+ gear that are popular for attaching Materia. It's not even necessary to HQ anything in this game to turn a profit (probably the worst part about crafting in 11) as long as you sell things at a reasonable price. Of course, +1 items can make you some excellent money =P

Selling Materia itself is also pretty nice money if you get lucky.
    (0)
    Last edited by Estellios; 05-10-2012 at 07:40 AM.

Player
    Character
    Deadly Swordz
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Thanks for the replies. But I am confused on when you guys are mentioning abilities for crafts? What craft makes materia?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Yoso Carrasco
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 74
    As you level up crafts they get abilities to use while crafting, stuff like decreased durability loss, increased progress, etc.

No craft makes materia, after you do the quest for converting materia any class can convert their gear into materia when it is spiritbound.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ren Da'beast
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 3
    word, spirit binding gear into materia is bank if you dont want to craft
    but. most 45-50 gear can sell 500k+ for hq, thats where i make money, takes 2 minutes to make an HQ crown.
    where can take 20-60 minutes to SB a ring or necklace to get str4 or int4 materia, that it selling for 100k-600k at the moment.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Deadly Swordz
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    So I finally got my PLD to 50 yesterday and now I am looking towards to making some money. I think I am going to level up mining. Do you guys do leves for it or you just go out into the world and look for mining spots? And what are some of the profitable items out there I could look forward to in selling for income?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Mikita Nightsong
    World
    Anima
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySwordz View Post
    So I finally got my PLD to 50 yesterday and now I am looking towards to making some money. I think I am going to level up mining. Do you guys do leves for it or you just go out into the world and look for mining spots? And what are some of the profitable items out there I could look forward to in selling for income?
    Hi and congratulations on getting to level 50 for Paladin. ^^

For gathering classes, I'd recommend getting up in level as quickly as possible so you can gather more valuable materials that are in demand.

The Fieldcraft leves give a good amount of EXP so I do them first, and then start gathering at the open world mining spots. You can't continuously mine the same spot, so you'll need to locate 3 spots and just cycle through them until exhausted -- the mining spots, or you. ^^;

In the very beginning you may need to sell whatever you mine to an NPC since the value and demand are quite low in the market wards.

Once you go up in level a bit, I think that Iron Ore and Silver Ore are not super valuable, but sell well and can be a good starting source of income.

Electrum, Mythril, Cobalt, Rose Gold Ore and Darksteel Ore are more valuable but you'll have to get up in level before you can start mining those. HQ versions are in higher demand.

You could also take up Blacksmithing, Armor crafting or Goldsmithing and turn the raw materials into intermediate materials (ingots) and sell those.

Good luck!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Deadly Swordz
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikita View Post
    Hi and congratulations on getting to level 50 for Paladin. ^^

For gathering classes, I'd recommend getting up in level as quickly as possible so you can gather more valuable materials that are in demand.

The Fieldcraft leves give a good amount of EXP so I do them first, and then start gathering at the open world mining spots. You can't continuously mine the same spot, so you'll need to locate 3 spots and just cycle through them until exhausted -- the mining spots, or you. ^^;

In the very beginning you may need to sell whatever you mine to an NPC since the value and demand are quite low in the market wards.

Once you go up in level a bit, I think that Iron Ore and Silver Ore are not super valuable, but sell well and can be a good starting source of income.

Electrum, Mythril, Cobalt, Rose Gold Ore and Darksteel Ore are more valuable but you'll have to get up in level before you can start mining those. HQ versions are in higher demand.

You could also take up Blacksmithing, Armor crafting or Goldsmithing and turn the raw materials into intermediate materials (ingots) and sell those.

Good luck!
    thanks for the info and the congrats for getting PLD50! And what I was thinking of doing is leveling up Blacksmith as well with mining!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tori Yasa
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySwordz View Post
    thanks for the info and the congrats for getting PLD50! And what I was thinking of doing is leveling up Blacksmith as well with mining!
    Smart man. You can also take up Armorer while you're at it. You can support either of those completely off of mining.

What I want to say though is that at certain points mining new nodes will become unbearable. The fastest (and best) way to level mining is PURELY leves.

Since leves open up to you 5 levels before the recommended level. So you'll open up level 20 leves when you're 15. Each of these "tiers" of leves provides a serious boost in gainable EXP per mine. In a lot of cases I was gaining a level every 2 leve turn ins. It gets slower when you pass the recommended leve level (Say you're 21 doing level 20 leves, and waiting to get the level 30s at 25) but it's still much faster than getting 100~200 per mine normally. Hell, I leveled from 37~42 purely on a giant rested XP bonus and 2 exp scrolls, and it all took about 2 hours.

Don't forget to log out in an inn for the rested EXP bonus. There are multiple ways to get GC seals for EXP scrolls, including running Thousand Maws of ToTo Rak to turn in gear for seals, and doing Castrum Novum which I hear gives out 6,000 per clear, but I haven't done it so I don't know much information.

It's also important to use anima if you want to speed up your leveling process. I pretty much mined Ul'Dah using anima until 35, at which point I went to Gridania's Camp Emerald Moss and mined out of treespeak. It's close to grid if you run out of anima, and the mining there nets you a TON of mithril, which sells for a lot (160k a stack on Ridill atm).

If you need more anima, you can mine Nanawa mines for Kidney ore, and you can turn that in for Anima. Hurray! I'm not actually sure what level you need to be to start doing that, but I heard someone say mid to late 30s. I haven't run out of anima yet because I'm stingy, but it's good to know you can restore it.

And finally, make sure you use mooglebox.com's gathering tool to help you learn the nuances of mining. It will save you a load of time and you will end up netting your ores in a single swing of the pick axe .

Sorry for the wall of text. Just felt I'd give you some tips I didn't really learn until I was around level 20. There was a lot of wasted time back then.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast