Page 235 of 300 FirstFirst ... 135 185 225 233 234 235 236 237 245 285 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,350 of 2992

Thread: FFXIV Meme's

Player
    Character
    Reinheart Valentine
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 86
    Sorry I got this thread derailed... ><
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Za'karn Riskbreaker
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Its ok, i think we are all a little easily... Oh LOOK! Duckies!
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Vilhem Dijkstra
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    It's not supposed to match. Adaptation and translations are different things. We don't always speak the way we write.

And I bring it back to the words "original" and "intent". How is it, based on fan translations or other translates sources, do you judge "original intent" if you do not have the fluency in that language to make that judgement.

For me, I just see this as another reason for weeabos to feel like they are somehow "closer" to the Japanese language and culture, by acting as if the Japanese language is some pure and Godly perfect gift from the heavens that can never be matched.

Don't get me wrong I love the Japanese language and think its a very intriguing language, but I'm not about to worship it as this perfect thing just cause a bunch of cartoons make it seem so.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Amanda Huggenkiss
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    (14)
    Last edited by AmandaHuggenkiss; 02-08-2013 at 06:16 AM.
    I like frog

Player
    Character
    Punainen Drak
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilhem View Post
    It's not supposed to match. Adaptation and translations are different things. We don't always speak the way we write.

And I bring it back to the words "original" and "intent". How is it, based on fan translations or other translates sources, do you judge "original intent" if you do not have the fluency in that language to make that judgement.

For me, I just see this as another reason for weeabos to feel like they are somehow "closer" to the Japanese language and culture, by acting as if the Japanese language is some pure and Godly perfect gift from the heavens that can never be matched.

Don't get me wrong I love the Japanese language and think its a very intriguing language, but I'm not about to worship it as this perfect thing just cause a bunch of cartoons make it seem so.
    I think you completely missed my point. My point was that even when you look at an OFFICIAL translation of an anime, if it's subbed, you usually get what they're ACTUALLY saying. But when it's dubbed, a lot of the time you get altered lines (sometimes altered DRASTICALLY) that were changed to fit with American culture or with the movement of the character's lips, and thus are not getting the story as it ACTUALLY is, and instead are getting some kind of rewrite, which more often than not, is nowhere near as good as the original story.
    I don't watch subbed versions because I love to hear them talking in Japanese. In fact it's a hassle because I keep having to try to read really quickly and get a look at the screen while I'm at it. But I watch things for the story, so therefore I want the best version of that story, and that's usually only to be found in the subbed versions.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaHuggenkiss View Post
    :X People call me wub in game and beat drop my name XD

Quote Originally Posted by Vilhem View Post

... Thats the word!? Weeabos! .. Thank you lol , always wanted to know how to call those people.

They're the reason when people learn two of my favorite artists are Japanese they assume I worship Japanese ground and hate being not Asian (or weird assumptions like that lol).

I like what I like and I dont care where its from.

I rage inside when listening to weeabos
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Punainen Drak
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Shougun View Post
    :X People call me wub in game and beat drop my name XD

... Thats the word!? Weeabos! .. Thank you lol , always wanted to know how to call those people.

They're the reason when people learn two of my favorite artists are Japanese they assume I worship Japanese ground and hate being not Asian (or weird assumptions like that lol).

I like what I like and I dont care where its from.

I rage inside when listening to weeabos
    Yeah weeaboo is a heavily abused word. People tend to throw it at people who like anything Japanese, rather than use it correctly for those obsessed people who can't shut up about everything Japanese and obsess over everything and try to pretend they're Asian also.
    (2)

Character
    Skye Windbinder
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 67
    A lil' something for the weeaboos!

(9)

Player
    Character
    Blake Ater
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 65
    So that means everyone that plays FFXIV is a weeaboo!? Oh well, weeaboos are old, Koreaboos are the new boys in town.

Then there are Japanes media in which the english is dubbed by (mostly) themselves and you can't complain. :P

FFXIV should do that, have all their JP VAs talk english so we don't need english VAs, and make both sides hate the audio enough to not want to listen to the voice anymore. :P (Rerail attempt)

TL;DR all voiceacting is done as a track anyways, and it's as Vilhem said, most foreign dub for ANY media is just an adaptation in that language. The scriptwriter of course (Helped by some actors to give themselves a bit more character), wrote the script under that nation's culture. So much of it's original intent would be lost anyways when adapted overseas, much like playing the telephone game.

Quote Originally Posted by Punainen View Post
    DESSSSU NOTUH
    Like i said, adaptations of anything is the game of broken telephone. If your looking for the original 'feel' of the iteration, you go look at the source (book, manga, original language, etc.)
    (0)
    Last edited by Nayto; 02-08-2013 at 07:19 AM. Reason: loophole reply

Player
    Character
    Punainen Drak
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Nayto View Post
    So that means everyone that plays FFXIV is a weeaboo!? Oh well, weeaboos are old, Koreaboos are the new boys in town.

Then there are Japanes media in which the english is dubbed by (mostly) themselves and you can't complain. :P

FFXIV should do that, have all their JP VAs talk english so we don't need english VAs, and make both sides hate the audio enough to not want to listen to the voice anymore. :P (Rerail attempt)

TL;DR all voiceacting is done as a track anyways, and it's as Vilhem said, most foreign dub for ANY media is just an adaptation in that language. The scriptwriter of course (Helped by some actors to give themselves a bit more character), wrote the script under that nation's culture. So much of it's original intent would be lost anyways when adapted overseas, much like playing the telephone game.
    Really, I think you should watch Death Note subbed and then watch it dubbed... This isn't about preferring the sentence structure or the references to Japanese culture (which should be acceptable to anyone not culturally ignorant anyhow). They say stuff in the Dub that they were never supposed to say and it makes it not even make SENSE. Death Note dubbed is TERRIBLE. If I'd first seen it dubbed, I'd have said it was a terrible anime filled with shallow whiny characters that are totally unrelatable in any way. But when I watch the sub, the story makes SENSE, and the characters are interesting and realistic. It's not about adaptation, it's about screwing the thing up for no reason.
    They do the same thing with books they turn into movies. They change character's names and important plot points for NO REASON. In Misery, for the movie, they change what the author-character's book was about, and the character names...when there was NO relevant reason to do that. In the Shining movie, they COMPLETELY screwed up the entire ending. They just rewrite stuff because they CAN. And they do the same thing with anime dubs.

And games too. Did you see the Silent Hill movies? There was no good reason for them to totally ruin the story the way they did. Especially the recent one. I literally walked out of the theater and sat in the lobby rather than finish watching it. It was like watching Twilight rape Silent Hill. It was awful.
    (1)
    Last edited by Punainen; 02-08-2013 at 07:10 AM.

Page 235 of 300 FirstFirst ... 135 185 225 233 234 235 236 237 245 285 ... LastLast