Player
    Character
    Kerian Seray
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50

Standardization of WS Damage Across All Delays

With some people disappointed in the potential damage output of Garuda's weapons (and any low delay/low damage weapon) I decided to propose a very simple solution that could make low delay weapons such as Garuda's on par with high delay weapons such as Ifrit's.

Problem:
    TP gain is standardize against all weapon delays (fast weapons give less tp per hit than slow weapons) while WS damage is not. This means that regardless of what weapon you use, you will also be able to perform x WSs per minute, however, if you're using a slow weapon with high damage, each WS will deal more damage.

Currently there is some algorithm being used to determine the damage of WSs, and while I do not know this equation, I want to use an example equation as a reference. Let's assume WS damage is calculated according to this (simple) equation:

WS Damage = Weapon Damage + Attack

If a player uses a WS while wielding Ifrit's polearm, the damage of that WS would be 151 + attack. If the player uses the same WS with Gardua's polearm, the damage would be 127 + attack.

Solution:
    Make the WS damage calculation based on weapon DPS instead of Damage. This can be done by replacing the Weapon Damage in the above equation with

((Weapon Damage / Delay) * StandardizedDelay)

Where the StandardizedDelay is a value chosen by the developers.

Result:
    This section aims to show how this change would effect the damage output of existing weapons.

For my examples I will choose to make the StandardizedDelay=3.8, the delay of Ifrit's polearm. The damage of a WS using this modified equation would be

WS Damage = ((151 / 3.8) * 3.8) + attack = 151 + attack

This of course is the exact same damage as before the change, but if we do the same calculation for Garuda's polearm we get

WS Damage = ((127 / 3.1) * 3.8) + attack = 155.7 + attack

In this case, Garuda's weapon does very slightly more damage than Ifrit's because of its higher DPS

Any weapon with delay lower than the StandardizedDelay will have its WS damage buffed, while those with delay higher than the standard will see a damage decrease. I have chose 3.8 to be the standardized delay so that the weapon that is currently the strongest (Ifrit's) remains exactly as it is now.

Making a simple change such as this will make more weapons viable and will allow people to use weapons based on preference or situation instead of simply whichever has the highest damage value.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Raldo Volca
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    Seriously? Delay should have no part in the calculation for damage.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Klynwilf Spellrifter
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Current system makes you decide what is more important.
    -Slower and harder hitting
    -Faster and lighter hitting

Fast weapons build TP faster.
    Slow weapons WS hit harder.

Throw delay in to the equation, faster one become more powerful, since they will build TP faster and hit hard. Making using a slower weapon pointless.
    (4)
    Forum Lurker Extraordinaire.
    Like a good stalker, I'm always there.

Making it the same was the problem with XIV initially. It works fine now as long as people get out of the mind set spike damage > best damage which isn't always the case in some situations.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kerian Seray
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Klive View Post
    Current system makes you decide what is more important.
    -Slower and harder hitting
    -Faster and lighter hitting

Fast weapons build TP faster.
    Slow weapons WS hit harder.

Throw delay in to the equation, faster one become more powerful, since they will build TP faster and hit hard. Making using a slower weapon pointless.
    Because of too lazy to retype it myself, this is from the thread on Garuda weapons being weaker. I have also tested weapons with different delay and seen different tp returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rydin View Post
    TP is always 100tp per second (TP/s) for every weapon of every type

So a delay of 4.2 would get you 420 TP per hit...
    and a delay of 2.5 will get you 250 TP per hit....
    So Each weapon will get you 1000TP in 10 seconds
    As stated in the OP, faster weapons do not give more tp over time. They give less tp per hit, and more frequent hits, but equal tp over time.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Klynwilf Spellrifter
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Thanks for the TP info. I was wrong and glad to be corrected.
    (0)
    Forum Lurker Extraordinaire.
    Like a good stalker, I'm always there.

Player
    Character
    Bustercucumbers Pamama
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    hmmmm...... Maybe weapon delay could affect cooldown durations on weapon skills.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tarragon Lai
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 50
    The big weapons run into issues when they miss, missing a hit on a slow weapon is supposed to seriously hinder your tp gain, lead to fewer ws's, and over all lower damage. With 90+% accuracy this shortcoming is never seen. I think that was the intended balance, but with effectively capped accuracy the difference that should appear between fast/slow weapons falls by the wayside.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Firon Veleth
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Peptaru View Post
    The big weapons run into issues when they miss, missing a hit on a slow weapon is supposed to seriously hinder your tp gain, lead to fewer ws's, and over all lower damage. With 90+% accuracy this shortcoming is never seen. I think that was the intended balance, but with effectively capped accuracy the difference that should appear between fast/slow weapons falls by the wayside.
    What? you do know acc is a problem for pld/gla war/mrd and lnc/drg and somewhat for pgl/mnk?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Tarragon Lai
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Firon View Post
    What? you do know acc is a problem for pld/gla war/mrd and lnc/drg and somewhat for pgl/mnk?
    Then, if i may.... you're doin it wrong. Fix your gear. If you refuse, then carry a bard so you don't have to regear.
    (1)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast