Character
    Deli Denkryst
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 70

1.22 General Crafter's HQ Method Discussion

Hi,

I saw there are lots discussion about new battle, events, and gathering. Not many people touched the DoH skills set. (only 2 ppl shared their ability sets in a dark corner) So, I want to start some "open discussion" and my thoughts. I’m not trying to priest people my believes here… I believe there are lots room to improve.
    Please remember the following are just personal thoughts, not a guide.

Background:
    • On 1.22, you can set 10 skills, however, it will take random 5 out that you can use at your synth. So, my plan is get a always secure 5 best skills for my HQ process.
    • why am I post at bsm forum to discuss general crafting... well someone should start to post something here XD

My gear set:
    now I have GC pants, Mahogany +1 (= to GC shoes & can be used for my mages), GC shortgloves, GC ring, GC beret, Linen Half apron +1, electrum choker +1, NQ coral earrings, for crafting...
    Reason:

I used to use felt beret and felt halfgloves. Now, I switch to GC beret and GC shortgloves.
    • I don't care about control and elemental instability (I'll explain later with abilities)
    • It's really easy to get 3+ GC crafting gears on you since all of these piece are best around
    • I'm lazy to get +1 coral earrings since I don't really care about control. + I'm working on GC earrings.

My Skill Set:
    My 5 skill choices are:
    Carpenter Perfection 36 Ensures great success of careful synthesis for the next step.

Carpenter Byregot's Blessing 45 Increases quality by 100% for the next three steps.

Blacksmith Greater Calling 45 Ensures success of all types of synthesis for the next three steps.

Weaver Culmination 45 Ensures great success of all types of synthesis for the next step.

Alchemist Master's Mend 45 Greatly restores durability.

Analysis (Click to read):

The goal here is HQ, so I need:
    • don't blow up in the end or elemental nuke on your quality
    • then we worry about get as much as quality as possible...

Synth safty skills section:
    Elemental thing won’t go big bang if you are success. They pop rarely too. So, I use Greater Calling when I see elemental chaos. They will wear if you keep successfully synth. That’s why I didn’t include any brand skills.
    Master’s Mend +30 dura. It’s equal to like 3-4 careful synth amount. It’s a good ability. I think it’s better than the -100% dura lost ability for 3 rounds (Comfort Zone) since you can gamble a little the 30 dura bonus can last to 4th run.

Increase Quality Section:
    There are 2 strategy across my mind:
    • ensure success for 3 steps {Greater Calling} and pop +% quality next turn
    • +100% quality for 3 steps {Byregot’s Blessing} and pop ensure "great" success next turn
    Initially, I prefer Greater Calling combo, but later I switch of heart. Greater calling combo is great. With 2 125% quality boost skills it’s super. However, the problem is that it only ensure success, not the max benefit success. So, During Greater Calling, I see a lot white orb get +60 quality while quality skill poped on rainbow orb, I get +50 only.
    I didn’t use Magnum Opus it’s because it’s hard to wait until rainbow orb. In order to get 150% bonus, first it has to success and 100% benefit, then you get lots bonus. It’s crappy if you use alone. A good thing is put this skill and Greater Calling together. When you see rainbow orb, pop both and careful synth… and you will “have chance” to get big quality jump. However, I don’t like to gamble.

For the Byregot’s Combo, I like it better. Great success I think it ensure you to get better benefit. With Byregot’s Blessing, I think I get 150 quality boost on rainbow (as before the perfection combo) and +60 on white with no additional skill.

I tested some other skills too, but it didn’t appeal that much to me.

You know it’s all about timing for crafting too. What time you pop what skill on what method matters!
    So let’s discuss my
    General Synth Process:
    I like to start with lots careful synth and finish with lots regular synth after dura drop down to 50.
    • I careful synth @ white & yellow
    • when troublesome orb (red/rainbow) pops, I pop my skills Byregot’s + single success to get max benefit
    • if next 2 trials pop red or rainbow, I use another single success ability. And /dance /clap
    • if next 1 is white or yellow, I wait on skill, careful synth alone. And pop single success skill on 3rd no matter what
    • Pop Mater’s Mend at no skill present and dura drop below 70. (so I feel safe /clap)
    • Dura <50, pop Greater Calling when elemental chaos, rainbow/red orb, careful or standard synth accordingly.
    I think there are lot flaws on the process. But it’s good to discuss with ppl.

Hopes you super crafters can share how you HQ
    (6)
    Last edited by Deli; 04-27-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Player
    Character
    Victor Lindark
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 80
    Hi there.

I'm not online at the moment but my setup is more or less similar to yours. Knowing when to use the abilities at the appropriate times aids with higher results.

I was able to create a pair of Avengers today, but during the process I felt as though I was simply getting lucky. The highest I was able to get was 75%HQ on the easier synths (and this was not guaranteed, it usually ends up being a little lower), and for the Darksteel Ingot and Flawless Grips I believe I scored only 50-60%. The Ingot is tough because as far as I can see, there's no way to get HQ Coke so your quality starts painfully low. For the Avengers, I went straight into elemental instability near the beginning and was only able to get 14%HQ.

Generally speaking, it seems to be quite unlikely to score less than 50% on any of these synths. I didn't encounter any severe elemental instability for 20 material synths, the only time it hurt me was for the Avengers. I'm doubtful there are any other methods that are significantly better, but I'm open to ideas.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Altonfenri Masaharu
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    new abilities are actually very interesting.. i have all abilities but 1.. i can complete a synthesis without even using 1 normal synth.. doing a synth 10 lvls above me and with a 100% success rate
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Deli Denkryst
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 70
    Recently, I started to get frustrated toward my Greater Calling performance.
    I use Greater Calling as previously stated: (when needed)
    • push for progress
    • push for Quality

Greater Calling is perfectly skill to push for progress. 3 turns of rapid synth 100% going to success. That results increase progress without losing durability. So, this skill will be better than Piece by Piece/By the book. (The reason is it's a flexble skill that you can allocate steps such as 2 for progress and one for quality.)
    However, in the situation of difficult synth, 3 turns of careful synth usually returns very depressing results on quality improvement. Usually, it's barely success, so the quality is increase by 10-20, while the durability still lose as usual. That is not good. Even a failed careful synth might do the same quality improvement.

I should really use Bold Endeavor... (when it get fixed) :P
    but ya... I can't find any other solution for it...
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Raldo Volca
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    The only "fix" to bold endeavor is its text is going to be fixed to match its current function (single-turn success).
    (1)

Player

I like your method, and I have been using almost the same setup. For rank 54 and up synths I was trying an unstable build with the 3 guaranteed great success + improvise but getting unstable when u want it just never works and only getting 20% on avengers is really annoying.

For gold nuggets and darksteel nuggets with hq mats i can get 1000q almost every time.
    (1)
    How Durandal Rolls
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterityJones View Post
    as a monk you can find the hole and fill it with a fist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    Bow Chica Bow-Wow...

Player
    Character
    Oyash Ponder
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    I've tried to think on which success abilities I could couple with quality increase abilities. I based this on the idea that its better to make large increases a few times than, accumulate quality over time. I decided to factor this into my equations. It is a multiple step recipe for all weapons, so abilities should change due to level of synthesis and what is needed.

I am actually trying to figure if these new weapons are worth keeping because of them only being able to be playable by the older classes. 51% is highest I got with avengers.
    (0)
    Last edited by WarOwl; 06-05-2012 at 04:33 AM.