Player
    Character
    Connor Stone
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50

SE update fails

ok i got annoyed after 4 hours of downloading over night i only got to 0.8% most of the time downloading nothing and uploading upto 4mb/s so i had a little poke around. for this you need a torrent program, my fav is uTorrent, also you have to have started the update process via the game first then close it down

so if you go to the following folder in the image bellow (the graey'd out but is your PC login name)

"C:\Users\{user}\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV\downloads\ffxiv\48eca647"

go into the "metainfo" folder and locate te torrent file, one with the newest date is the current one trying to download

ok now put this torrent file into your favorite torrent program and compare the differences

uTorrent - 1mb/s +
    Web Source - 31.1kb/s
    FFXIV DL - 25.3kb/s
    Torrent Tracker: http://track01.ffxiv.com:54997/announce

now once the torrent has finished locate the .patch file you just downloaded via your torrent program and copy to
    "C:\Users\{user}\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV\downloads\ffxiv\48eca647\patch"

run the game and install the update

now what way would you choose?

SO......... my question to SE is WTF are you doing to make patch downloads sooooooooooooo god damn slow using torrents?
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Zait Zaitoon
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    is it safe to do it this way ?
    (0)

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Nouran View Post
    is it safe to do it this way ?
    It's essentially the same, but you're using a faster torrent client than the FFXIV updater; otherwise, it's the same files.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Zait Zaitoon
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    the link is not working
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Connor Stone
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    it will get rejected then it should go after that
    (0)

6. 04-27-2012 02:40 AM

Player
    Character
    Buritoslicer Buritosandwich
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Not sure if this is the correct place to be posting about doing things the non conventional way...

You know... being the Official game forums and all. I'm pretty sure a dev's gonna step in once they get caught up with the mess from last night.
    (0)
    (*) Buritoslicer Buritosandwich - CounterPost XIV of Sargatanas
    http://www.counterpostfc.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Rentahamster View Post
    "Buritoslicer Buritosandwich" is one of the best names on Lindblum.

Player
    Character
    Connor Stone
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by AreeyaJaidee View Post
    Funny: I've always used XIVs built in updater and I've never had a single issue.

Ive even had 3 computers updating from the same connection at the same time and never had these issues.

Sounds like ppls ISP are screwing them over, not SE.
    its not my ISP at all when you see in the third imae i posted that at the same time the torrent program downloads faster and was run at the same time:-
    uTorrent - 1mb/s +
    FFXIV DL - 25.3kb/s

also having a dedicated 100mb internet connection with 0 restrictions and downloading at 30kbps while a torent program downloads at over 1bmps i think it reflects on the client program that is the problem

i have proven its SE's issue not my ISP, have tested on other ISP's and getting the same results. downloading the same file with the same trackr using 2 different clients and one is running waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay slower than the other one, hmmm i think alot of people would agree that the problem lies with the ffxiv updater

Quote Originally Posted by buritoslicer View Post
    Not sure if this is the correct place to be posting about doing things the non conventional way...

You know... being the Official game forums and all. I'm pretty sure a dev's gonna step in once they get caught up with the mess from last night.
    basically its SE's patch file from SE's tracker so all is legit. SE need to start doing things properly and stop sucking at things. i posted this to show SE they have an issue with the updater, i have proved it and i REALLY hope they will do something about it. but knowing SE they will fo nothing about it
    (0)

Player

Quote Originally Posted by buritoslicer View Post

It seems to me that the official updater causes a lot of gripe for many people- I spent at least twice as long not downloading as I did downloading with the FFXIV updater.

But this isn't a hack or anything, it's just using a different tool for the same goal. I don't view that as being an illegal way to obtain a file, unless the use of outside torrents are what cause the lag for the official updater.

(Edit: Someone posted about a minute before me while I was typing! But slightly different posts.)
    (0)