Player
    Character
    Zohar Lumani
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Javino View Post
    This bickering over how successful either game is/was is pointless. People play what they like, and what their friends are playing. Anyone not interested in FFXIV now, isn't likely to be interested when 2.0 is released. Reviewers have already tarnished XIV's reputation, and they affect a majority of players' choices when selecting a game to play, let alone a long term commitment like an MMO. Both games have their pros and cons, like all games do. We just have to decide which game is move favorable for our liking. Whether or not XIV becomes more like XI, people will play what they choose to. I love both games, but personally I feel Aby ruined XI, and it's time for a change. Yes, I'd like to see a few changes in XIV as well, and that's why I'll continue to wait on the devs to make the right choices, I mean... Afterall, we're all still playing XIV to date right?
    Granted.

None of this means squat until 2.0 comes out, as long as they don't return to draconian principles and they keep challenges in the game by way of strategic elements in combat and problem solving I think the ps3 launch will be great.

If only they could come to an agreement with Microsoft and get it on 360....
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Gavin Vengeance
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by SionDurant View Post
    Granted.

None of this means squat until 2.0 comes out, as long as they don't return to draconian principles and they keep challenges in the game by way of strategic elements in combat and problem solving I think the ps3 launch will be great.

THIS is one of the only things that will make SE more money, if we're focusing on profits and financial integrity of the game. Expanding availablity to a larger consumer base.

Another way which is blatantly obvious and I'm assuming will come with the launch of 2.0 is advertising, just saying.
    (1)
    Last edited by Javino; 04-19-2012 at 02:23 AM.

Right behind you with a Wiffle-Bat of Commonsense +3
    Character
    Eagleheart Hellsbane
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    I rather enjoy the current system in which players are on level ground or better against standard enemies.

I never did enjoy the concept of six grown, heavily armed men and women slapping around a two-foot crab for two to three minutes in EXPing. That never felt adventurous.

That made me feel like a weakling. (>.> ) One of the reasons I enjoyed Abyssea was that I actually felt like a powerful fighter - not weak-armed and shivering in fright every time I picked up aggro from some random raptor.

I do not yearn for the days when I'd get three raptors in Valley of Sorrows and wonder if I was going to need a raise, or if I should just throw on some powder boots and hope I made it to a zoneline.

To-wit, on the idea of a party all attacking single mobs as standard fare, rather than engaging multiple mobs at once: No, thank you.

Engaging multiple mobs in EXP was a very, very good idea. In XI, EXP was a snore. Remember Bibiki Bay? Remember EXPing on giraffes? Remember feeling weak?

Nothing about that was fun. ._.
    (7)

Character
    Eagleheart Hellsbane
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Seriously, if I am walking around in broad-shoulder full plate mail, armor darker than night itself, with a six-foot greatsword strapped to my back and Imperial atrocities on my mind, I don't want to go cower in a corner if a yarzon two levels over me walks by.

"Guys, help, there's a yarzon and I'm all alone! Send help!!"

(>.> ) That is not adventure. This is not Hello Kitty.

I'm a Knight, not a lemming. ; ;
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Gavin Vengeance
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Yeah but remember those days when people actually partied together and you didn't hit max level not knowing how to use your job because you paid other players to leech you to 99? The days when you didn't shout for 3 hours trying to get help for a quest you wanted to complete but no one helped you because they were too busy off in abyssea fighting over who owns which mobs popped in the area 3 parties are all camping simultaneously? The purpose of MMO's are interaction and connectivity, not feeling like a powerful lone warrior that can take on everything alone. That's the purpose on console single-player games.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jinko Jinko
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by SionDurant View Post
    Granted.

They should ignore 360 at this point and go after Wii-U.

The controller alone would lend itself really well to an MMO.
    (1)

Character
    Eagleheart Hellsbane
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Yeah but remember those days when people actually partied together and you didn't hit max level not knowing how to use your job because you paid other players to leech you to 99? The days when you didn't shout for 3 hours trying to get help for a quest you wanted to complete but no one helped you because they were too busy off in abyssea fighting over who owns which mobs popped in the area 3 parties are all camping simultaneously? The purpose of MMO's are interaction and connectivity, not feeling like a powerful lone warrior that can take on everything alone. That's the purpose on console single-player games.
    I remember those days fondly, yes. Waiting in Jeuno for quite literally days on end, because everyone and their grandmother said "lolpld" and did not want a paladin along on their vaunted learning trips/EXP parties.

Or my Dragoon friends who, when I was still young, simply quit, because no one wanted them along.

And there is nothing "lone wolf" about saying I shouldn't be quivering in terror walking about the world map by myself. (>.> ) Even in an online game, there is the desire for self-sufficiency in certain tasks. Even though we come together to accomplish big things, that does not mean that desiring to be able to stroll about and feel strong relative to the EXP/exploration environment is "lone wolf", or unbefitting an MMO. Saying otherwise is folly.

As for the quip about Abyssea, I am perplexed even further.

Do you think that people were not busy with their own matters prior to the introduction of Abyssea? I know that demonization and caricaturing of Abyssea are in vogue, but an honest appraisal will reveal that if people weren't in Abyssea, they'd be in Salvage, and if they'd completed Salvage, they'd be at Einherjar, and if they weren't at Einherjar, they were camping Kings, and if Kings windows were not up, they'd be doing Nyzul, and if they didn't have tags for Nyzul, they'd be at Dynamis, and if Dynamis re-entry wasn't up, they'd be sitting in town looking for something to do, which is when they would help the random shouts.

This isn't because of Abyssea. People have their own goals to accomplish. Saying that people are not stopping to help you because they're busy camping mobs in Abyssea can just as easily be turned about into "people were not stopping to help me because they were busy camping mobs in Dragon's Aery", and many other examples that could be cited to the point of weariness. Point being, you can say that it is about Abyssea, but it is, ultimately, merely a convenient and easily-latched-onto excuse that evades the actual reason.

XI is at the end of its lifespan, that is the truth of it. You attribute the difficulty in getting help for what you were seeking to accomplish to the introduction of Abyssea, but, in truth, it is simply because the game is in that phase of its life where the playerbase is mostly consolidated, entrenched, and disinterested in the addition of new blood.

And there was nothing "learning" about a zerked SAM getting stomped on by a Dhalmel after the tank lost hate for a moment, and then spending ten minutes waiting for everyone to raise, unweaken, and then try to kill that same mob again for, wait for it, 200 EXP base.

Bibiki Bay: Five or six hours, and you just may gain a level, if your party doesn't disband in frustration, or get a Paladin tank to replace the Ninja, and then the party disbands anyways because the EXP "is too slow".

Slow EXP in XI. That's a real knee-slapper there.
    (6)
    Last edited by Eagleheart; 04-19-2012 at 03:24 AM.

Character
    Eagleheart Hellsbane
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Further, there will be skilled, and unskilled players in every game that will ever exist. EXP is indeed a place to learn how to play the game, but it is by no means the only place to learn how to play the game.

XI is too deeply entrenched in the minds of many players for them to be able to see outside the box, and consider gameplay and systems that exist outside those thought up as they grew up in Vana'diel. It stifles original thinking and the embracing of new concepts. ( o.0) That is something that we must work hard to avoid in any walk of life.

Stick with the good, shun the bad, but think hard about why a thing is good or bad, be able to explain it not only to others, but also to yourself. Reflective thinking may leave a person surprised, after having thought a certain way for so long.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Aaran Oni
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    XI sucked bad. No company out there envied S-E for it, nobody tried to copy it and most gamers never heard of it, even less tried to go play it. Get the hint and move on already...
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Beorhtel Fet
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Onidemon View Post
    XI sucked bad. No company out there envied S-E for it, nobody tried to copy it and most gamers never heard of it, even less tried to go play it. Get the hint and move on already...
    This to me just sounds like it comes from somebody who holds a grudge against 11 because of whatever reason. 11 in its time was very successful just like Everquest was, it's just that it was in an era where MMO's hadn't hit the height of popularity yet. Whether a game sucks or not is not up to you it is all a matter of opinion. I just as easily can say that WoW sucks because they gave free levels for the refer a friend that people abused to get new characters up to level 60ish from the start and that would also be an opinion. Some people like different playstyles than yours. "Get the hint and move on already...." as you so adequately put it. Comments like these sound like they come from people who failed at said game and now as a result hold a grudge against it for whatever reason and should not be listened to. FFXI had some good things in it just like other MMO's too, it would be dumb of them to not impliment something good just because one random player from a random server didn't like the game it came from.
    (0)

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast