Player
    Character
    Bubble Yum
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50

Alchemy 1-50, minimal-to-no Gil Sink and no DoL as of 04/14/2012

Well, motivation to write another guide finally hit so here we go again! I try to make all my guides accessible in that they ought not require DoL and gil sinking. I also try to focus on profit but this also isn't always easy. Sadly, alchemy tends to gohand-in-hand with fishing but don't let that dissuade you as it isn't required. You really should make a profit on this craft but it won't be instant like with goldsmithing.

Why Alchemy and Why Do It First?
    Okay, some people know this, some don't, and I sincerely doubt new players will. But believe me: alchemy is where you will want to start your DoH path. I know that people get excited about making armor or making weapons or food but there are several reasons to make this your first stop and at least take it to 36.
    • Unlimited shards! You are going to need shards and need them in large amounts. Alchemy allows you access to pretty much unlimited shards.
    • Unlimited crystals! Same as above.
    • Constant gil! Yes, since everyone needs shards and crystals people are generally willing to buy them. Even though I have alchemy leveled I still tend to buy shards just to save time. But remember: I started way back when almost every recipe was using 8-12 shards per synth and multiple types of shards at that. Had the current system existed I would have a ton left over. Either way, I myself will buy them when the price is right and I know others who will just because it saves time.
    • This job goes hand-in-hand with fishing. There is no more of a perfect fit of DoL/DoH in the game than fishing and alchemy and here is why: fishing can be done off-node. This means that you won't burn time running between nodes just to get three whacks at a tree or mining node - you simply set up and go nuts at the proper body of water.
    • Hand of the Gods. This is the main reason you need alchemy first. This ability will allow you to gap-synth and HQ with ease. Combine this with Perfection and you will breeze through any synth and rarely fail (if at all.)

Specific Notes Pertaining to Alchemy!
    Alchemy is a bit of an odd DoH job in that you won't spend much time NPC'ing items like you will with goldsmith. But you can make more gil in the long run than any other job. Here are a couple of tips that can make the process really smooth.
    • Trade agreements. Find another crafter and set a predetermined price for shards and crystals that you will supply them with. This can circumvent the market wards entirely and help another player out at the same time.
    • Fishing goes hand-in-hand. See the previous notes.
    • You will need to do some farming but this is literally short work - trust me.
    • Burn leves north of R11 (they need to be at ~5 levels above you) and strive for quality. This is one of the few DoH jobs that really benefits from leves during certain dry spells.

Couple of Big Notes Here:
    • You will need both Preserve (ALC 10) and Fulfillment (LTH 10)
    • Blinding Speed (ARM 10) is outstanding, as well
    • I strongly recommend having Perfection (CRP 36)
    • Hand of the Gods is a...godsend(?) at R36
    • Do not equip more than 5 abilities - this will keep the cue constant and prevent randomizing of available options.

Notes on Gil Sinking and Profit:
    • This isn't a guide that requires DoL leveling - it is based on not having it. However, I will include some options to help those who do. Again, leveling fishing with this is a great way to do things!
    • The amount that you make via profit will vary by server economies but, in the worst scenario, you should still break even.
    • I base everything off of NPC'ing items because juggling and restocking retainers along with pricing can really tax inventory space and also time HOWEVER, alchemy is the exception in that you will need to sell crystals in the wards or via a trade agreement.

Notes on The Synthing Process:
    • No, you really shouldn't spamcraft with this guide as the majority of your EXP is coming from gap-synthing and also from the bonus yielding from quality.
    • I generally prefer to start the very first action with Blinding Speed and then Rapid Synth. If successful this gives you a wide margin to work with.
    • If you have Perfection, save it for the final ~14 durability and use it in conjunction with Rapid Synth (due to no durability loss and ~30 progress.)
    • Hand of the Gods should be used around 55 progress in order to to get to 70. If you are able to get away with it use Careful the whole way through but if you are running a bit low use a Standard synth. Remember, base mats allow for three turns while finished items allow for four turns.
    • The majority of actions should be Careful Synth as quality is the key component to higher EXP yields.
    (12)
    Last edited by Yves; 04-13-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Player
    Character
    Bubble Yum
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    1-11

Tiger Cod for 12 wind shards - 1 Tiger Cod
    This yields 12 wind shards at the cost of 4 lightning shards. These shards are highly useful in all DoH with the exception of culinarian and alchemist. These will sell nicely. You can buy these at the NPC in LL for 67 gil a piece and you can sell each shard for around 35-200 gil a pop depending on your server's economy.

Malm Kelp/Brass Loach for 12 Lightning Shards - 1 of either fish
    This is the big part of being unlimited for shards since each costs 4 lightning shards but yields 12 lightning shards for a surplus of 8 shards. You can catch these right outside uldah or LL as a rank one fisher.

Maiden Carp for 12 Earth Shards - 1 Maiden Carp
    Like the tiger cod, these can be purchased for 67 gil from the NPC in LL. Another highly useful shard, in particular for armorer.

There is literally no point in using other synths until around rank 12 because these are just too easy.
    (8)
    Last edited by Yves; 04-13-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Player
    Character
    Bubble Yum
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    11-21

Lanolin - 1 Sheepskin - 96gil to NPC
    This one requires some farming...for about 10 seconds. These are plentiful right outside of LL and it takes hardly any time at all. This is optional, but a reasonable alternative.

Box Turtle/Tarantula for 2 Lighting Crystals - 1 of either
    You can gather these on your own but if you can get them for the cost of whatever two lightning crystals are going for on your server go nuts. If you need to take a loss on these then go ahead since you should be making some gil from your shards. I favor these because it is part of the "unlimited" aspect of alchemy much like brass loach and malm kelp.

Alternatives that can be purchased or farmed are Sandfish, River Crabs, Bianaq Bream (very pletiful via fishing), Dark Bass, Black Ghost, and Rothlyt Oysters.
    (10)

Player
    Character
    Bubble Yum
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    21-31

Fish Oil x 4 - 1 ash tuna - 38gil to NPC (152 gil per synth)
    This is an okay synth that I list because it gives you an alternative and a general idea of cost. These are generally plentiful on wards and can also be fished out by Cedarwood with little effort. I also list this because it requires shards as opposed to crystals. NOTE: If you fish Cedarwood SAVE ALL HAMMERHEAD SHARKS.

Ash Tuna for Fire Cyrstals x 3 - 1 ash tuna
    Again, the cost of the fish should not exceed the selling price of three fire crystals. Also, this is where trade agreements really come in handy. NOTE: If you fish Cedarwood SAVE ALL HAMMERHEAD SHARKS.

Bone Crayfish for Lightning Crystals x 3 - 1 Bone Crayfish
    This really should be the main synth if the cost of Bone Crayfish is reasonable on your server (they generally are). Remember the rule of cost-vs-profit (cost of item = or < final net sale of finished items). Also, you can fish these up all day down at Nophica Wells. Like before this is an "unlimited" synth. NOTE: If you are fishing Nophica SAVE ALL YOUR CRIMSON CRAYFISH.

Again, fishing goes hand-in-hand. I know I'm beating a dead horse.
    (11)
    Last edited by Yves; 04-13-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Player
    Character
    Bubble Yum
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    31-41

Black Sole for Lightning Crystals x 6 - 1 black sole
    Observe the same rule of cost vs. profit. These can be easily fished up by the ferry docks in Thanalan, as well. These may be a little pricier on the wards but it really shouldn't be too bad. Another "unlimited" synth. Alternatives include Northern and Southern pikes, Haraldr Haddock, Velodyna Carp, Wahoo, Crimson Crayfish and Saber Sardines. If you fished Nophica wells then you will have tons of Crimson Crayfish.

Shark Oil - 2 hammerhead sharks - 403gil to NPC
    You are almost certainly going to take a loss on this synth unless you fished Cedarwood. But you should have a good amount of gil reserves saved up and can always compensate with shard and crystal sales.

Mega-Potion of Piety x 2 - 2 ahriman wings, 1 rock salt - 275gil to NPC (550gil total per synth)
    ***R35 minimum level required***
    Farm up the wings from the quest mobs in Nananawa. I spent an hour there on BLM one-shotting via AoE and getting between 5-12 wings per grouping (repops are around 1 minute). You can either mine the salt (timesink), buy it from an NPC (210 gil), or buy via wards (usually cheap). This is a nice profit synth and takes very little time investment outside of the actual task of crafting. You may be coming back to this one to finish off alchemy.
    (11)
    Last edited by Yves; 04-13-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Player
    Character
    Bubble Yum
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    41-50

Mega-Potion of Piety x 2 - 2 ahriman wings, 1 rock salt - 275gil to NPC (550gil total per synth)
    Welcome back to the most feasible synth in that it doesn't take much effort to gather and can yield nice exp.

Here is the trick to finishing alchemy: Gridania leves. You are going to spend time doing "Chalking It Up" (in-town leve) and "Growing Strains." The latter leve is where the big EXP comes in and will also replenish ahriman wings while netting between 20-25k exp per full leve (all completed items and turn-in bonus). The commute to Emerald Moss is pretty easy, too. I just set it as a favorite to cut down on time.
    (11)

Player
    Character
    Raldo Volca
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    Thanks for this! I'm already 45, but the ending run tips help, since I hadn't really taken a close look at the new recipes for ALC.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jane Sage
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    Thank you!!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Master Matsume
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 50
    Thanks Dookie, I'm really thinking of saving this post for a crafting rap...
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ireland Brimstone
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 50
    Great guide, thanks for the info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast