Player
    Character
    Frein Mannis
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50

Implications of a Dungeon Finder

In the recent roadmap reveal, SE says they're going to implement a Dungeon Finder system. I assume this is going to work much like the WoW Dungeon Finder, which essentially pools random people across servers and teleports them into instanced dungeons and back once they're done.

There was much discussion about implementing this during the Rift beta, as well. Most people were against this. Here is what Riftwatchers said about the idea when it was proposed by the Rift devs:

We all know how the cross-server dungeon system works in WoW. You select a dungeon, hit the queue button, within 30 minutes you’re in and fighting away (less if you’re a tank or healer). The chances of you grouping with somebody on your server are slim. The chances of you ever grouping with those same people are infinitesimal. Every run is a toss of the dice: sometimes you get nice people you’d enjoy grouping with again (you can’t make this happen), other times you get the most base of players that remind you why WoW got such a bad name in the first place.

It is a system that solved one problem and raised the other, genre-spanning issue of the de-socialization of MMORPGs. For the majority of its life cycle thus far, players have been nearly entirely silent in groups. Relationships between players have eroded away into intra-guild cliques. Interacting with people on your server is meaningless outside of your guild, the auction house, and raiding. It has propelled the idea of “massively single player” to whole new levels.
    MMOs are as much about community as they are about gameplay. Even great MMO gameplay generally cannot compete with great non-MMO gameplay, so it needs to take advantage of its MMO nature in order to succeed. A Dungeon Finder will arguably improve gameplay by increasing convenience, however, it is absolutely fatal to server communities. I saw Blizzard dismantle its server communities first hand, at first with cross-realm Battlegrounds and then also with the Dungeon Finder. Today WoW servers have no identity whatsoever. None. You will not meet the player you grouped with ever again.

What this means is that player actions have no consequences. You can be the greatest douche in the history of mankind and nobody will know nor care. You can be the most awesome group member the game has ever seen, but again, nobody will know nor care. The only other players you will learn to know are those within your LS because you will rarely interact with anyone else more than once.

It will also further splinter the game world into a series of instances rather than a complete world because there is no travel involved. I bet half the people playing WoW have no idea of where the dungeon entrances are even after having beat said dungeons a two dozen times.

I believe this trade-off is absolutely horrible.
    (18)
    Last edited by Frein; 10-14-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Player
    Character
    To'lohk Nunh
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    I think that if they do want to emplement cross-world dungeon raiding, the interface should be tied to the dungeons. Go to an NPC at the dungeon entrance and look for people wanting to enter, group with them and have at it. This would remove the "warp to the dungeon then back to town" situation. Another possibility is dungeon "lobbies" where players from the different servers can interact before entering.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Jinko Jinko
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Think they should give the player the choice to go cross world or stay look for players in their own world.

I'm 100% for either option though, I'd rather have the choice of playing with pricks than none at all.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ein Vaer
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Oh man, not this again...
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Mystearica Fende
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 60
    They used this feature in WoW. There for it must be awful & corrupts the innocent minds of the playerbase.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Sephrick Markarius
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    No one is forcing anyone to use it, roll with an LS or shout for a group in your world.

This is a feature for people with no social skills and won't affect any of us who actually talk to people.
    (1)

Character
    Wolfie Wu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    I'm all for this, because it's something that empowers people who don't have a lot of friends or a good LS. I think you'll find that even after this is implemented, that people will prefer to stick to groups formed from LS members or friends, because pickup groups suck regardless of how they're formed.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Jinko Jinko
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I'm all for this, because it's something that empowers people who don't have a lot of friends or a good LS. I think you'll find that even after this is implemented, that people will prefer to stick to groups formed from LS members or friends, because pickup groups suck regardless of how they're formed.
    This !

Even in WoW I used to run instances and raids with my guild, it was only when we were short on a member that we would use the dungeon finder.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Frein Mannis
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephrick View Post
    No one is forcing anyone to use it, roll with an LS or shout for a group in your world.

This is a feature for people with no social skills and won't affect any of us who actually talk to people.
    You are so naive. SE is implementing a player search similar to FFXI, which would suffice for group building. This DF will kill that method immediately and lead to exactly what is described in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinko View Post
    Even in WoW I used to run instances and raids with my guild, it was only when we were short on a member that we would use the dungeon finder.
    So you withdrew into your guild and interacted with the rest of the server only out of necessity? Nice.
    (2)

Character
    Wolfie Wu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Frein View Post
    You are so naive. SE is implementing a player search similar to FFXI, which would suffice for group building. This DF will kill that method immediately and lead to exactly what is described in the OP.
    WOW's dungeon finder didn't kill guild and friend dungeon runs. Stop being such a neighsayer.
    (3)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast