Player
    Character
    Sol Rynn
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by REDace0 View Post
    Absolutely fantastic. It answered every question I could think of about how to play WHM.

However, I need to offer a correction, only because I tried to give the same advice a while back and was corrected, but Outmaneuver only restores MP with the Enhanced Outmaneuver trait. So it won't apply to WHM.
    So it does! Thanks for the correction, I've removed Outmaneuver from the guide.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Shiggy Sonson
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 50
    Great guide. It may be worth mentioning that benediction can be used while silenced. It's another way benediction can solve an "oh shit" situation.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Sol Rynn
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Gael View Post
    Nice guide but just a thing about this :

/sit itself doesn't help for the mp regen BUT when you use it, you stop to be in "fighting mode" to be in "passive mode" so your first mp regen tick will start right after you did the /sit (it's not always the case when you stand, especially if you did an action or if you took a dmg).

I'm not sure if im clear about this because english is not my first language but /sit does help with the MP regen (of course only for the first tick, as soon you got it, you can stand up) because you got your MP tick faster
    Ok, so I wanted to be absolutely sure I was correct on this so I went out and tested this again this morning and took video. I am correct, sitting does absolutely nothing for your MP regen, standing in place gives the exact same returns and doesn't prevent you from moving or casting.

Currently editing and uploading the video, I'll post it here once it's done.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Maitre Gael
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 70
    yes, standing in place gives the exact same returns but you can have the first tick faster with sit (if you did an action or if you took a dmg the first tick will start later). Like i said its only nice for the first tick, you dont have to /sit full time to recovry your MP.
    (0)
    Last edited by Gael; 04-06-2012 at 03:37 AM.

Player
    Character
    Sol Rynn
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Gael View Post
    yes, standing in place gives the exact same returns but you can have the first tick faster with sit (if you did an action or if you took a dmg the first tick will start later). Like i said its only nice for the first tick, you dont have to /sit full time to recovry your MP.
    No, it doesn't give you the first tic faster. It's the same speed: 2 battle tics (for WHM it's 3 per tic because of Auto-refresh) then your first resting tic. In the video both sitting and standing gave me 3-3-35 returns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9qTO19hIIk&hd=1

One of the reasons people think that sitting does this is because of the amount of time it takes for the sitting animation to happen. During this time you'll usually get 2 tics (which are the battle tics) then as soon as the animation finishes you start getting your resting tic. This makes it seem like sitting gives you that resting tic immediately, but in actuality it's the exact same returns as standing in place.
    (4)
    Last edited by Sol_Aureus; 04-06-2012 at 04:48 AM.

Player
    Character
    Eldaena Vonxandria
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    I would also recommend perhaps La Noscean Toast. It gives VIT and DEF to help your white mage be a bit more durable and helps a little with enhancing magic.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sol Rynn
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldaena View Post
    I would also recommend perhaps La Noscean Toast. It gives VIT and DEF to help your white mage be a bit more durable and helps a little with enhancing magic.
    I thought about this, but given Kaeko's DEF/VIT testing you'll end up getting a lot more mileage out of HP than DEF. The VIT is nice for the bonus to Enhancing to be sure, but it's a negligible bonus. In addition, with my gear setup I have 422 VIT. The bonus that the toast will give me pushes me up to 423, but that level gives no returns on anything except stoneskin, so it's a wasted level.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kaeko Leta
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    I actually do a max DEF/VIT/Enhancing build on my WHM when running instances in non-boss situations. I'll then switch to an HP build for bosses. This is because with a high effective DEF on "trash mob" targets, you can get relatively close to the damage floor and nearly "tank" up to 4-5 trash mobs yourself with just Regen active. It's actually quite impressive how unkillable any job becomes as you near ~800 DEF on any job when tanking 50-54 mobs. On higher end targets like bosses where your fear is being 1-2 shot by TP moves (e.g. Voice of the Dragon), I'll definitely take the HP though.

I don't use La Noscean Toast though. I worked it out to actually getting more DEF boost from an Acorn Cookie with my current build due to the +%s despite the fact La Noscean has a higher max cap for divine status.
    (0)
    Dancing Mad (Excalibur Server)

Player
    Character
    Sol Rynn
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeko View Post
    I actually do a max DEF/VIT/Enhancing build on my WHM when running instances in non-boss situations. I'll then switch to an HP build for bosses. This is because with a high effective DEF on "trash mob" targets, you can get relatively close to the damage floor and nearly "tank" up to 4-5 trash mobs yourself with just Regen active. It's actually quite impressive how unkillable any job becomes as you near ~800 DEF on any job when tanking 50-54 mobs. On higher end targets like bosses where your fear is being 1-2 shot by TP moves (e.g. Voice of the Dragon), I'll definitely take the HP though.

I don't use La Noscean Toast though. I worked it out to actually getting more DEF boost from an Acorn Cookie with my current build due to the +%s despite the fact La Noscean has a higher max cap for divine status.
    Fair enough, there are a couple situations where I pull hate during trash pretty easily (especially in some of the later circular rooms in Cutter's) so I can see the appeal of DEF during non-bosses.

I might have to consider bringing some Acorn Cookies with me to stuff like that. Thanks for the info Kaeko!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kaeko Leta
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Shameless plug, but here's a video of us running a 5 chest DH run with 4 players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H-vgjk0saE

We heavily abuse WHM in the run, but it has nothing to do with the job's healing capabilities. Due to the near-broken strength of Regen, you can basically play WHM as a full time nuker that Regen's every 45 seconds in non-boss situations. It's easily the most broken job in 1.21. I personally go with 5 WHM builds right now...

Max Healing Potency only - bosses with consistent wipe moves (e.g. Coincounter 100tonz)
    Max HP and Healing Potency mix - most bosses
    Max Enhancing / DEF / VIT - large numbers of trash mobs (instances, strongholds) - also my default gear
    Max MATK / Enhancing combo - trash mobs with heavy emphasis on damage dealing
    Max MATK only - Limited use, but can be devastating if using a planned Holy strategy (start 18:10 in the video to see an example of this)

For those that play XI, WHM is much more similar to SCH than the XI WHM. Your nuking capabilities are much better in XIV. Gear swapping is a royal pain in the current XIV, but if you macro, it should only take max 10 seconds to get your gear swapped. WHM is the most versatile job right now - best healer, very capable to sometimes best magic DD, and above average at survivability if built right. You want to be able to use multiple gear sets to augment the job's innate versatility.
    (5)
    Last edited by Kaeko; 04-06-2012 at 09:58 AM.
    Dancing Mad (Excalibur Server)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast