Page 3 of 117 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Tarragon Lai
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 50
    I chuckle when people reference "only 500k subscribers", but.... how many does FFXIV have right now? SURELY ITS MORE THAN 500k FOR PEOPLE TO SAY "ONLY"!!!
    (0)

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Rydin View Post
    not necessarily directed at you (I know it seems that way since I did "Reply with quote" you) but its true that we don't need to debate FFXI's success or profitability... FFXI had some stuff that was really good and fun that could be applied to this game... At the devs discretion, of course...
    Because SE really does want the 500k people that played FFXI, but then the also want the people who didn't play FFXI... which means it is no longer us vs them... we are all one community....
    Sounds like a Black Eyed Peas commercial but its true

If it is 50/50 then SE will never win until we all come together
    Problem with that is I don't think you could have it all, people have asked bethesda over and over again to make elder scrolls multiplayer. Every time they say no, not because they don't want to make everybody happy it's because they know that if you add multiplayer it takes away from what you can put into single player.

Yoshi P's statement about a MMO being like a themepark is true but the context that he used it in suggested he hadn't really thought it through. It should have a wide variety of content like HNMs Dynamis, ZNM, and etc like a theme park sure. But if you try to split it into different types of gamers you start to split the game into fractions. If they push casual and hardcore then instead of saying having 3 dungeons in a patch for casual players you'd have 1 or 2.

Each type of gamer would only be getting half a game whereas if they just made two games they could give both types a whole game.
    (0)
    Last edited by ArnoMorley; 03-25-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Character
    Alerith Rayneheart
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    What about an instanced system? It would kind of be like FFXIII where you're on the map, you run into the enemy and you enter battle.

For FFXIV, you would see the HNM (let's use a Wyrm as an example) like any other mob in the area. Then, once you do something to gain enmity on it, your group is transferred to an Instance where you can fight the mob and special things can happen in the battlefield.

Then, once the HNM is defeated, it would disappear from the world until it's respawn timer is up. Any group in an instance against the HNM would be able to finish the fight and obtain drops.

In this way, it wouldn't matter who "claims" it first, because all groups would have an amount of time to enter their own instance and fight the HNM up until it's defeated.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Nyris Reach
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Peptaru View Post
    I chuckle when people reference "only 500k subscribers", but.... how many does FFXIV have right now? SURELY ITS MORE THAN 500k FOR PEOPLE TO SAY "ONLY"!!!
    I never say "only" because 500k is a very VERY solid base....
    Its just with how popular MMOs are, and how many people own consoles and love the FF series, this game is poised to beat that
    this game sold 550k out the gate (And promptly lost MANY of those)
    But a high Famitsu score basically guarantees close to a million in Japan
    Who knows how many stick around after the month though....
    So I guess it deserves to be said that FFXIV attracted more players (And will continue to attract more players at 2.0) but FFXI was able to keep players... and most people I talk to that played did so for a very long time...
    That has to say something
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Jinko Jinko
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Alerith View Post
    What about an instanced system? It would kind of be like FFXIII where you're on the map, you run into the enemy and you enter battle.

For FFXIV, you would see the HNM (let's use a Wyrm as an example) like any other mob in the area. Then, once you do something to gain enmity on it, your group is transferred to an Instance where you can fight the mob and special things can happen in the battlefield.

Then, once the HNM is defeated, it would disappear from the world until it's respawn timer is up. Any group in an instance against the HNM would be able to finish the fight and obtain drops.

In this way, it wouldn't matter who "claims" it first, because all groups would have an amount of time to enter their own instance and fight the HNM up until it's defeated.
    Rokein is making a petition as we ... type ?
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Nyris Reach
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by ArnoMorley View Post
    Problem with that is I don't think you could have it all, people have asked bethesda over and over again to make elder scrolls multiplayer. Every time they say no, not because they don't want to make everybody happy it's because they know that if you add multiplayer it takes away from what you can put into single player.

Yoshi P's statement about a MMO being like a themepark is true but the context that he used it in suggested he hadn't really thought it through. It should have a wide variety of content like HNMs Dynamis, ZNM, and etc like a theme park sure. But if you try to split it into different types of gamers you start to split the game into fractions. If they push casual and hardcore then instead of saying having 3 dungeons for in a patch for casual players you'd have 1 or 2.

Each type of gamer would only be getting half a game whereas if they just made two games they could give both types a whole game.
    That is the number 1 issue... Yoshi believes he can appeal to all types of gamers... I really hope he can... but only time will tell

As a community, we are definitely not making it easy on him...
    But then the point can be made that the consumer isn't obligated to be considerate of the producer...
    Yoshi wants us to buy into his product... share his vision... experience this world SE has created... he has to convince us that it is worth our money...

No one is obligated to do anything and people definitely don't have to take my advice... but I feel like people would find a lot more enjoyment in the game if they went in with an open mind....
    And thats both side... pro AND Anti-FFXI
    (2)

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Rydin View Post
    That is the number 1 issue... Yoshi believes he can appeal to all types of gamers... I really hope he can... but only time will tell

As a community, we are definitely not making it easy on him...
    But then the point can be made that the consumer isn't obligated to be considerate of the producer...
    Yoshi wants us to buy into his product... share his vision... experience this world SE has created... he has to convince us that it is worth our money...

No one is obligated to do anything and people definitely don't have to take my advice... but I feel like people would find a lot more enjoyment in the game if they went in with an open mind....
    And thats both side... pro AND Anti-FFXI
    That's really the biggest issue, you're never going to bring everybody together. It's like thinking you could bring republicans and democrats together, it would be nice and easier on all of us but it just won't happen.

Tanaka wanted to appeal to all groups too, it's sounds very political like Yoichi Wada told them that's what they have to go do. SE's management expects the impossible out of the dev team. Like I said he may be able to provide content to both groups but it's giving each half a game, we're going to keep getting bored 2 weeks after the patch.

What is more dangerous than just going after one market is having neither market satisfied. It's like how in the game revamping we didn't see crafting touched for a while because they were working on the battle system. Fighting classes were happy but how upset were crafters until the next update? And what about the disciplines of the land?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Klynwilf Spellrifter
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    http://www.brighthub.com/video-games...les/35992.aspx
    NOTE: These numbers were updated as of February, 2011 but the last reliable data for some was a while ago (I'll put an estimate of the date next to each one).

Let’s take a look at the top MMO subscriber populations. Remember that these figures come from the developers or publishers and they all apply slightly different criteria to count active subscribers. Some of the figures are based on revenue and subscriber estimates. This article is only examining games so social MMOs like Second Life are not counted. These are rounded figures.

World of Warcraft – 12,000,000 (2011)
    Aion - 3,400,000 (mid 2010)
    Runescape – 1,300,000 (2009)
    Lineage – 750,000 (2009)
    Lineage II – 750,000 (2009)
    Dofus – 520,000 (mid 2010)
    Final Fantasy XI – 350,000 (mid 2010)
    Eve Online – 325,000 (2011)
    Lord of the Rings Online – 210,000 (mid 2010)
    City of Heroes/Villains - 125,000 (2009)
    Age of Conan – 120,000 (mid 2010)
    Ultima Online - 100,000 (2009)
    Everquest - 100,000 (mid 2010)
    Warhammer Online – 80,000 (2010)
    (0)
    Forum Lurker Extraordinaire.
    Like a good stalker, I'm always there.

Player
    Character
    Athalia Hartfell
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 85
    I'm all for it as long as the timers are reasonable. I consider anything between 1-6 hours as that. Have a 72 hour spawn or even a week spawn is ridiculous. I don't care how long it takes to kill a monster but I shouldn't be waiting days to fight it.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Sri Ahbayaa
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    I'm glad someone brought this up. This is one of the reasons I've had trouble getting into this game. Current open world NMs are just too easy. There's no surprise, adrenaline rush, contest-- no feeling of reward when you down them because you know they're going to pop back up in a few minutes. I'm okay with these kind of NMs staying in the game, but I think at least 25% of NMs should use something like ffxi's system. I enjoyed hunting things like charybdis and the sahagin NMs, or Stray Mary and Leaping Lizzy. There's a lot I can't remember about ffxi after a few years but I really enjoyed the NM system.

I'm not talking about the big game 24 hour spawns necessarily, although those were fun, too. Maybe those could be made to be a completely random spawn. I also liked having the occasional dragon around (like the big guy down in KRT or the one in the icelands. I can't remember place names anymore). Having these NMs added a certain quality to the world of ffxi-- more possibilities. Finding an NM actually gave you a jolt, because you didn't expect them to be sitting there 24/7. Finding a big ass dragon gave you one more reason to level up.

Hard to explain, but FFXI had a really rich NM world even outside of the spawns that were commonly botted.
    (4)

Page 3 of 117 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast