Player
    Character
    Sephrick Markarius
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by ArnoMorley View Post
    This game failed because of SE's CEO not because of Tanaka. That's why even 2.0 is in danger because Wada is still forcing this boneheaded template to be designed around that caused the old game to fail.

This is a perfect example of why they just need 2 games, one for both audiences. Imo NMs were fine in XI, casual people seem to want this game to be spoon fed to them. Neither side should have to compromise, if there were two games we'd both get what we want.
    Instances aren't "spoon feeding." People need to get over this notion that instances are meant to be easy.

Yoshida said himself that the upside to instances in 2.0 is that they'll be able to have their level designers create an entire environment that is a challenge, not just a claim war followed by a a joke of a fight.

People seem to misunderstand the purpose of the 24 hour spawn, it wasn't to make it hard it was to make it so you only did it once a day and moved on to other content. With a 6 hour repop like somebody suggested you'd be going back to fafnir several times a day. The only thing that would make sense is not liking would be the 3 hour spawn window, although the window rarely ended up being that long...
    If SE feels they need to slow people down, they can put longer cool downs on the instances. That way everyone gets a chance once a day and when they can coordinate schedules with their friends.

The timers aren't exclusive to HNMs. Sure people will complain, but they'll get over it when there's enough content to not notice.

Again, if SE feels they need to.

A good compromise to me would be instead of a 21-24 repop maybe an 18-20 hour repop and reducing the window to 2 hours max instead of 3, but the casual gamers want to make it ridiculous like the 6 hour respawn thing or having so multiple groups fight it in an instance.
    That's not a compromise at all. The issue is being blocked out of content. I pay a monthly fee to play the game, not to watch someone else play it.

Plenty of compromise suggestions have been made but all the anti-instance crowd wants are claim wars. That's the core issue.

People don't want things easy or instantly gratifying. They just want to play challenging content on their own schedule. That's it. But to accommodate the HNM mechanic, a majority of the player base has to give up that "play when I have the time" aspect.

In regard to the poll I think the numbers are flawed, idk when that was taken but I bet that most of the die hard XI fans had quit by the time that poll was out so of course the numbers are going to favor the crowd that wants everything to be easy.

It's also one of those issues where people are going to think they don't want it but it makes the game better. It was like the whole death penalty debate. When asked nobody in their right mind would want to lose exp on death, but when you break it down it's not wanting to lose levels on XI that made you fear dying in the first place. XIV has no death penalty but there's no fear of dying, XI's death penalty would have made fighting more exciting.

You will never be able to trust a poll on something that involves a penalty, Yoshi P and his team should have enough common sense to know better.
    The poll was taken March 2011, back before the restriction of having to have logged in within 30 days in order to log on to the forums. Anyone who purchased the game had the right to vote. So if anything, the numbers from those first two polls are exactly what SE needs to focus on. They're representative of what everyone who initially bought the game wanted out of the blank slate that was released.

As for fear of death, losing the instance is the motivator to stay alive. A few deaths may not cost the entire run, but one wipe could be the difference in a speed run. Why does there need to be salt in the wounds? Losing is penalty enough.

And besides, what fear of dying was there when "sacrifice pulls" we're a common tactic?

Exp loss was a minor annoyance on top of what was and still is the main motivating factor, wanting to win.

And what is this business about a penalty anyway? We should view not getting claim on an HNM as a penalty? For what, having a real life to attend to?

There's no reason XIV can't have epic open world battles, but they need to evolve. Once again, even XI can't afford to be "old XI" any more. Why would SE shoe horn archaic content into a new MMO when it doesn't even fit in the old one?
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Hiro Akita
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcell View Post
    The problem with super long timers is that it doesn't really foster a positive server community.
    I wouldnt say that considering, ffxi felt a lot nicer welcoming than this community ever has.
    (2)

FFXIV FORUMS = CRYINGCRAFT

Player
    Character
    Abauge Decebalus
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    I definatelly want HNM, just not open world roaming ones. That will lead to whoever has the first bot to claim it and waste 3 hrs for others. That is not competition, that is cheating and SE won't be able to control it.

Give us huge flying beasts, be them dragons or other kinds, give us huge things to fight, but make it instanced. Make it so parties can alliance kill them, just please do not make them open world.

That will ruin it for a lot of people.

OP, i know it may have seemed like a great idea at the time in FFXI, but that is because that was all we had. Once they made them instanced, people still played and enjoyed it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jinko Jinko
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    5 min spawns are stupid, do you really want the entire server being able to kill stuff once a day? If that happened in XI everybody would have had speed belts, D rings in a matter of weeks. How stupid is that? And XI did have force popped nms too, but it's retarded to make the whole game that way. Claim wars and long spawn times are good things
    Because I was under the assumption that the OP didn't want world bosses to drop awesome loot. (or should I say it wasn't required)

I thought it was more about the thrill and the chase and the uhhhh standing in one spot for hours on end, than what the actual monster dropped.

And I think you over estimate the casual crowd. Like I said already dozens of casual games on the market so even if there are 20mil casual gamers you have to share them with every other game.
    Ok maybe I should have said the average Final Fantasy player then..
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tarragon Lai
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 50
    Again I vote for giving HNMs TERRIBLE DROPS! Kill them for pride, Kill them for a title, Kill them for something to do, but giving them awesome drops breeds hate and flame wars and GM's called on everyone and drama llamas will run rampant, use their black materia, and then meteor will land and the world will crack and the devil will come out and MPK everyone then HE'LL get GM'd! and so on....

It can be a big rush to camp&claim, but doin it just for stuff is dumb. I like the great buffalo fight, its fun! Does he drop great stuff?.... I wonder why he's never camped..... inb4 "he's easy" ya, he kinda is, let's see who can do him with the fewest members! stuff like that i'm in favor of.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Sephrick Markarius
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydin View Post
    Being Able to attack MOBs already claimed is one of the biggest things hurting this game. It works against the abolishment (I guess firefox doesn't think "Abolishment" is a word) of PLing and also against the idea of new open world NMs
    Accept it's not a problem, because it's by design. Yoshida said he wants people to be able to PL from outside the party. And no one wants claim wars so all is well.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Bubble Yum
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Peptaru View Post
    Again I vote for giving HNMs TERRIBLE DROPS! Kill them for pride, Kill them for a title, Kill them for something to do, but giving them awesome drops breeds hate and flame wars and GM's called on everyone and drama llamas will run rampant, use their black materia, and then meteor will land and the world will crack and the devil will come out and MPK everyone then HE'LL get GM'd! and so on....

It can be a big rush to camp&claim, but doin it just for stuff is dumb. I like the great buffalo fight, its fun! Does he drop great stuff?.... I wonder why he's never camped..... inb4 "he's easy" ya, he kinda is, let's see who can do him with the fewest members! stuff like that i'm in favor of.
    I am the same. I really cannot state enough how much I would like a trophy for moghouse or a little trinket to wear or something. Maybe a useless hat made out of an NM skull or something. ^^
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jinko Jinko
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephrick View Post
    Accept it's not a problem, because it's by design. Yoshida said he wants people to be able to PL from outside the party. And no one wants claim wars so all is well.
    Well it is a problem, just Yoshida doesn't think it is. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I am the same. I really cannot state enough how much I would like a trophy for moghouse or a little trinket to wear or something. Maybe a useless hat made out of an NM skull or something. ^^
    Now your talking !
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sri Ahbayaa
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    I don't have a problem with most of the content being instanced. If that's what the majority of people want, then maybe that should be the majority of content. However, 20% is also a number worth paying attention to. There is /no reason/ why we can't have mostly instanced content while still creating the interesting and dynamic open world that 20% or more of players want. Players can participate in what they want. Rewards can be roughly equal between players wanting to participate in only instanced content versus those who want to participate in both. Powerful items from an HNM scene can have their rough equivalent dropped in instanced raids.

But there's little denying that the current open world is pretty bland. I'm looking forward to the zone redesigns, but NMs that are not always sitting up (and NMs that drop crafting materials as well as the exclusive items) would help greatly to spice it up. Instance raids are good and fun, but when you only have things happening in instances the rest of the world becomes stagnant and dull. Having NMs that rotate spawn times or placeholders help make sure there's always something going on. It creates a more realistic, dynamic world which has a direct effect on the entire psychology of the game.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tarragon Lai
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 50
    Taru in great buffalo skull helm! TOO HEAVY TO WALK IN THIS THANG!
    (0)

Page 11 of 117 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast