Player
    Character
    Darkhaund Krull
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50

AF gear already "obsolte"

I have been noticing on my server that Blackmages are not wearing the af hat anymore..

Seems a hat with double meld materis is better... so sad
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Just look at the PLD set to see a set that was useless before it was introduced. Mage hat nothing, the whole PLD set blows goat balls.

Cobalt Cuirass (Red)
    HP : +60,
    Vit : +7,
    Attack Power : +4

Gallant Surcoat
    Enhances Cover
    MP : +40 <== WTF is this about? A single cure 1 costs more than 40 mp.
    Mnd : +12,
    Healing Magic Potency : +3
    Enmity : +3

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Cobalt Celata (Red)
    HP : +45
    Str : +3
    Accuracy : +1

Gallant Coronet
    Healing Magic Potency : +15
    Enmity : +5
    Mnd : +16,
    MP : +20 <== again, another useless stat

Cobalt Celata (Red)
    HP : +45
    Str : +3
    Accuracy : +1

Gallant Gauntlets
    Enhances Holy Succor ,
    MP : +30, <== WTF were you thinking SE?
    Vit : +2,
    Enmity : +4

Felt Trousers (Red)
    HP : +23
    Vit : +6
    Str : +4

Gallant Cuisses
    Enhances Divine Veil
    Vit : +7
    Mnd : +7,
    MP : +10
    Enmity : +2

Cobalt Sabatons (Red)
    HP : +30
    Dex : +2
    Vit : +2

Gallant Sollerets
    Block Rate : +3
    Vit : +2
    MP : +20,
    Enmity : +1

-----------------------------------

cobalt totals
    HP : +203,
    Vit : +15,
    Attack Power : +4
    Str : +10
    Accuracy : +2
    Dex : +2

PLD set totals
    Enhances Divine Veil
    Enhances Cover
    Enhances Holy Succor
    Block Rate : +3
    Vit : +11
    MP : +120,
    Enmity : +15
    Mnd : +38,
    Healing Magic Potency : +18

Bear in mind that none of this takes into account even a single meld, nor sentinel's gear or combinations of melds/sentinel's gear.
    (12)
    Last edited by Molly_Millions; 03-24-2012 at 01:28 AM.

Player
    Character
    Colino Nyea
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Culinarian Lv 90
    Mostly every AF hat is useless. Bard gloves are also worthless since the stats are mediocre and the enhancement only works on the 15 minute song.

But then again it's free gear so who cares? I'd rather not have everyone dressed exactly the same anyway.
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Darkhaund Krull
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    well.. i guess i am one of those ppl that lkes to be on their "role" and seems sad that the NICE looking AF gear is worthless
    (5)

Character
    Justice Reborn
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    I've just recently returned after an extended absence and so I'm not familiar with all the gear, but I do hope the Dragoon set is up to par, considering it's my goal and why I'm playing right now
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Bubble Yum
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    The PLD AF is two things with the first being a play-style call. For example, some PLD are very self-sufficient and cure themselves a lot while others are not. I've never seen a dramatic difference between the two but, then again, I haven't seen a dramatic difference between GLD and PLD in static fights to begin with. I tanked Ifrit with both GLD and PLD since the patch and I don't really one being better than the other - simply different.

The second reason is that SE, per patch notes, tinkered with emnity and crowd control calculations. This may be the sole reason why the AF appears to be cure-centric and emnity focused. Remember that in XI the PLD held hate via curing just as much as by using voke/flash. Give it time and it will sort out.

But if you're saying that an entire set is "worthless" then I am going to say you aren't being too resourceful. The difference won't always be like Aaron Rogers vs. Matt Schaub - it's more of a Young vs. Montana argument. Neither is going to be dominant (statistically) over the other but both have their areas that they excel in.
    (15)

Player
    Character
    Arik Viceroy
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 50
    I always felt that AF gear should provide a "complete set equipped" bonus.
    (20)

Player
    Character
    Jinko Jinko
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Here's hoping they allow us to upgrade AF in the future, I wouldn't mind farming materials from bosses in dungeon and upgrade my AF.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Molly Millions
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The PLD AF is two things with the first being a play-style call. For example, some PLD are very self-sufficient and cure themselves a lot while others are not. I've never seen a dramatic difference between the two but, then again, I haven't seen a dramatic difference between GLD and PLD in static fights to begin with. I tanked Ifrit with both GLD and PLD since the patch and I don't really one being better than the other - simply different.

The second reason is that SE, per patch notes, tinkered with emnity and crowd control calculations. This may be the sole reason why the AF appears to be cure-centric and emnity focused. Remember that in XI the PLD held hate via curing just as much as by using voke/flash. Give it time and it will sort out.

But if you're saying that an entire set is "worthless" then I am going to say you aren't being too resourceful. The difference won't always be like Aaron Rogers vs. Matt Schaub - it's more of a Young vs. Montana argument. Neither is going to be dominant (statistically) over the other but both have their areas that they excel in.
    But the MP bonus isn't even worth a single cure 1 so my argument is that it doesn't even achieve what it sets out to do, which is to increase the healing capacity of PLD. Sure it makes what few cures we can do a little bit stronger, but you can't cure any more times before you are effectively out of mp than a PLD in unmelded cobalt gear could.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Siorai Aduaidh
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly_Millions View Post
    Just look at the PLD set to see a set that was useless before it was introduced. Mage hat nothing, the whole PLD set blows goat balls.[/I]
    Though the individual MP bonuses are small, you also note that they add up to a respectable 120 MP which leads to my next point:

Rather than to survive via large HP reserves like WAR - the original concept is for PLD to be a 'healing focal point' in battles -- to be evaluated in tandem with WHM. The PLD abilities: Divine Veil, Cover, and Holy Succor (all enhanced by the AF) make this obvious. Additionally, since jobs are balanced for party play, It is important to view PLDs survivability when paired up with a competent WHM.

Since 1.21 hasn't been out long, it's easy to jump to conclusions based on PLD/Tank concepts from other games. In time, the more people play, the more they will become adjusted to the Cure-tank model and thus can provide more accurate feedback on it.

That said, if people prefer to not play the Cure-tank, they always have the option of equipping Bloodthirst loaded gear and play more GLD or even MRD-Style.
    (10)
    Last edited by Zantetsuken; 03-24-2012 at 02:16 AM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast