Player
    Character
    Forest Shade
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80

Dragons Deep

The burning sun. The gritty sand. Heat waves warp my view of the sprawling Sagolii Desert.
    Nothing new, as I frequent this spot in my hunt for the mythical Helicoprion. Conditions are perfect today, but they’ve been perfect many times in the past. Maybe this will be the day, the morning, the cast. But my mind is plagued doubts as I assemble up my rod and tackle.
    I silently cast my line as I think back to my adventures in search of the “living legends”. Hiding from boars in the South Shroud, sneaking past the ghouls of the Umbral Isles. Fond memories of my time spent fishing in the quiet gloom of Mor Dhona, as I pull a storm rider from the sand. Not big enough to attract the legend, but a good start to the day. Affixing a wriggling sand leech to the line, a sharp wind blows through. A wind that brings me back to the Privateer, the tumultuous Rhatano Sea threatening to take the vessel down to the depths below. It was on this night that I finally brought peace to the waters of La Noscea when I tore the Nepto Dragon from its home beneath the waves. I remove my hook from inside the gills of a dustfish and sigh. Many challenges have I faced, but none as disheartening as this. With each passing day and each failed attempt, my hope and determination wane just a little more. Who knows which day I will leave and never return?

After an uneventful morning the sun was high in the sky and I knew my time was running short. Laid out next to me were the catches I managed to reel in thus far. A few breams and sandfish, next to a decent pile of storm riders. A notable days catch, but not that which I seek. To finally net this jagged-toothed horror is what I came for, not these small fry. With a scowl I set my line once more. After a time, a twitch, and on the other end is a storm rider. A storm rider with a certain feel. A special storm rider. Special enough to draw out my mark, I’m certain. I take a second to calm myself before casting it back into the swirling dust below.
    One second.
    Two seconds
    Three seconds.
    Four seconds.
    Suddenly! I feel an immense and awful tug that strains my rod as it has never strained before. I set my stance, firm. This was the fight I came for. A few tense seconds pass, each lasting an eternity, as I struggle against the beast. Then, in a moment of opportunity, I pull back with all my strength, falling to the ground as my rod shatters to pieces. Next to me lands a creature, large enough to shake the earth below. My heart stops, my eyes widen. For there, squirming on the desert floor:
    Was a Magic Carpet.
    A wind of change passes as my window of opportunity closes. I sit solemnly amongst the sand before having the heart to rise up and begin packing up. I quietly begin the trek back to town. Slowly as I walk, the peaceful tranquility of the desert lift my crushed spirits, and my face breaks out in a small, but hopefully smile.
    Next time.
    Yes, maybe next time.

I hope you enjoyed my tale. Noble Barding is my choice.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    K'nigin Taiga
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80

A Tale from a Doomed World

Delwyn’s knees ain't what they used to be and the long days on the road are not easy on him. He can’t complain, they need workers at the Crystal Tower, and they promise food and shelter, you don’t see that much nowadays, what with the realm on fire and all.

He sits down, someone hands him a piece of stale bread and a cup of hot chocolate, it ain’t much, but it’ll keep him going.

“Oy, mister!” a voice calls behind him.

“Mister, tell us about the Warrior of Light!” says a beaming boy with a dirty face. Many others flank him.

“All right, lad, what would you all like to hear? How about the time the Warrior of Light met his equal in battle?”

“Zenos zos Galvus was his name. A fearsome swordsman big as an oxen and with teeth made of iron, some say he could even see the future. But our hero was not deterred; he strode through Ala Mhigo defeating his soldiers single handedly...”

When he looks around he sees that not only children, but grownups are getting close, slowly and shyly at first, and like an avalanche later.

“So the Warrior of Light kicks the door to the throne room open and sees that the evil Zenos had defaced the treasures of our Ala Mhigo. Zenos turns to face him, his eyes full of cruelty and malice. He says, ‘Ah, my only friend, my prey...”

It was a party now. The children still at his feet listening intently, two young men play at being Zenos and the hero in front of an audience, he never heard of the Warrior of Light wielding a book, but there are a lot of stories, who knows?

“Just when it seemed it was over, Zenos lifted himself off the ground, the wound on his chest seemingly not a bother anymore. He looked straight at our hero and let out a deafening bellow. He transformed into his true form, a dragon the likes of which the realm had not seen since the Seventh Umbral Calamity.”

“What did the Warrior of Light do!?” the children yelled.

“A true hero does not lose heart! He scrambled back his feet and rushed to the enemy ahead. They fought for what seemed like an eternity, he dodged fang and claw, the fire and lightning could not touch the graceful hero, and when he saw his chance, the Warrior of Light climbed the tail of dragon, sliced the wings off the beast’s back and they went into free-fall...”

He knew to leave them with bated breath right before finishing a story.

“The dragon struggles and the Warrior of Light holds on for dear life while they plummet back to the throne room. When they reach it, the dragon lets out one last gasp and is silent forevermore. Zenos’ discarded sword has lodged itself into his own heart.”

Everyone claps and yells, they thank him for this small respite.

The man next to him hands him a bottle of wine and says, “What do you think happened to him?”

“Who knows? We don’t even know if he really existed.” He sighed. “But without his tales those kids wouldn’t be going to bed with a smile on their faces. Just that makes him deserving of the title of hero”

(Gaelicap)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Azurr Dusk
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Onward

Scars cover this land, signs of dangers only narrowly averted. Crystals, twisted by a monumental force, rise as tall as mountains. Chasms, deeper than the light can reach, cut through. Magitek rubble stands out from the trees, never to take to the skies again. Giant claw marks rake the inside of a piece of an artificial moon, now in an ocean splash frozen in time. Ruins of civilizations long lost crumble as the sand buries them slowly.

Yet gloom does not take its inhabitants.

They rise early to trek the winding paths to gather catch for the morning markets, basked in the golden glow of those giant crystals. They blow away the sand, gingerly, from the figurine of exquisite beauty created so long ago. They repair dents in battle armor, rubbing the shoulder that it saved. They strum the strings at taverns so tales of old can inspire new adventures.

It is because of them this world they cherish endures to this day. It is there as you open the windows and scents of the ancient forests welcome you. It is there as you drift off to sleep with your trusty carbuncle curled up beside.

(Scarf)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Brielle Silverwood
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90

My Journey

My brothers originally got me into Final Fantasy XIV five years ago by giving me a copy of the game for my birthday. This was the first MMO I had played and I was uncertain what to expect.

Things began slowly. I remember queuing into Sastasha for the first time and feeling apprehensive, nervous, and shy. The three of us queued in with a stranger and we let him know we were new. He was very patient and kind as we fully explored every nook and cranny of the dungeon. We celebrated upon clearing, pausing to take a screenshot with our new friend.

That was five years ago and many things have happened since which Final Fantasy XIV has influenced. We welcomed a new puppy into our family which we named Kupo after the moogles. I was invited to attend the real-life Ceremony of Eternal Bonding between two friends from the game and had the honor of participating in their wedding party. Another friend from the game flew over 2,500 miles across international borders to meet and hang out in real life – a friendship which had grown nearly exclusively from time spent together in Final Fantasy XIV.

This game has provided many of my fondest memories in recent years but, perhaps, the most inspired moments of comradery I’ve experienced came when I discovered raiding. Those early days were a struggle. I didn’t begin raiding until Gordias during the Heavensward expansion, and the first time going up against Faust opened my eyes to the world I was entering rather quickly.

I discovered I had much yet to learn and realized the importance of rising together as a group. Raiding is truly a celebration of a team’s success rather than an individual’s victory. Since Gordias, each new raid tier has brought with it its own highs and lows. Along the way, I discovered my current team which have become like family to me. We met in Stormblood battling Omega and have grown closer as we tackled The Weapon’s Refrain and The Unending Coil of Bahamut.

The newest Ultimate raid encounter coming in November will mark the second anniversary of playing Final Fantasy XIV with the same group of friends, and I feel it merits pause for reflection. The time we spent working toward clearing either of the previous Ultimate raids, in many cases, is greater than the time spent with some real-life friends. The relationships built are true.

When I think back on my fondest memory playing this game, it cannot be reduced to a single moment in time. For me, Final Fantasy XIV is a feeling. Final Fantasy XIV is comforting. It’s a way to diffuse stress. It’s a way to engage and build friendships with real people around the world. It’s a platform to get excited about others’ common interests.

Final Fantasy XIV has introduced me to some of my closest friends and my fondest memory is having the opportunity to meet those people.

Prize (if selected): Gaelicap
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Aachi Suto
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 80

To friends I have made, friends I have lost, and friends I have yet to meet

To the friends I have made, the friends I have lost, and the friends I have yet to meet,

The days we have traveled together throughout The Source, I have found joy fighting beside you as we bring light to the darkened corners of the realm. Even as we travel the foreign soil of The First and bring darkness to the weary world of white, I know that in our hearts, you will help me carry the burden of hope as we deliver our hefty bounty to the people so in need of it.

For this and for so much more, you have my eternal gratitude and friendship.

Your companion throughout the reflections of time and space,

Aachi Suto

________

prize selection - Noble Barding
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kenward Cross
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 80

Where Our Journeys Take Us...

Where do our adventures lead us?

I have often pondered over this question ever since I first took to Eorzea and her myriad peoples. My journey started out not unlike any other adventurers’, nor does it hold any import to the time of the present. Yet in all the time I have spent traveling & seeing the many wonders of Hydaelyn, the question still lingered, especially one fateful day in Limsa Lominsa.

I received a summons from my dear friend & rival, Alia Mewrilah, whom I met during my earliest days of dueling in Wolves’ Den. Alia requested a meeting at the lower decks of Limsa, stating only that they had someone they wished for me to meet. I could only wonder who this stranger was, though anxiety plagued me. After being in a slump and on a personal hiatus from the Den for the winter, I worried myself with thoughts of a new challenger looking to train with me and the many duels that would ensue, yet still I made my way there.

“There you are! Come, come! Let me introduce you to a friend I made down at the Den!” Alia made her presence known quickly as I felt my shoulders slump down at the idea of being proven right, however bittersweet of a victory it would prove to be. I made a valiant but vain effort to hide my exhaustion after being told that this stranger was looking for someone to teach them how to be a better Samurai.

“Relax, Kenward! There’s actually another reason I wanted you to meet them.” Alia’s fluffed ears twitched before giving me a look of pure honesty. “Listen, I can't explain it, but I really feel that you and her are meant to meet each other.” With one last playful wink, Alia turned me towards the figure approaching from among the usual Lominsian crowd. A lone Lalafell stood before us, her twin-tailed hair the color of a wild chocobo. She was geared up in Garland Ironworks armor with a katana at her side.

“So you’re Alia’s teacher? Well then, teach me how to be a Samurai! Right now!” She stomped up & down excitedly, catching me off guard. Yet even then, I still found myself gazing at her. It was not her demeanor nor her looks that had me captivated, but her eyes. They spoke to me in a way that, looking back now, I could only describe as one thing.

Confidence.

“I’m only kidding of course! The name’s Adai Nazengine, it’s a pleasure to meet you, Ken!” Adai chuckled at her outburst and keenly smiled at me. Alia meanwhile scurried off, mentioning something about browsing the market while we got to know each other more.

And so we did. We talked at great lengths until the sky grew dark, exchanging stories and memories. She told me tales of her journey to Eorzea and through every detail, every conflict, every victory and loss, I could see her growth through it all, the confidence in her eyes giving truth to every word.

Even now I still remember this, the day a dear friend introduced me to my future wife, and the adventures that lead us to where we needed to be on that brisk afternoon in Limsa Lominsa.

(Gaelicap)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tibbett Tibe
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 80

A Relaxing Day

The story of the Warrior of Light is known across Eorzea as one of timeless perserverance, bravery, and friendship. An unbreakable line at the head of the Alliance's forces, a leader of men, an ally of dragons, a slayer of primals, a hero to the smallfolk.
    On the other hand, the story of the adventurer Tibbett Tibe is relatively less known. Currently, she's under a shaded tree in the Lavender Beds, smiling slightly at a freshly finished sword on her anvil.

They are, of course, the same story. To speak of one is to invoke the other, but there is a marked disconnect between the fabled hero's deeds and the day to day of just another Lalafell. It's in these moments between the grand quests to save the world that she can truly rest and spend time among friends.

Yawning, she brushes bits of metal and dirt from the cushion below her and takes a knee again with hammer in hand. What little sunlight is able to make its way through the leaves above her reflects dully off the pile of ingots at her side. A few fulms away, a pink haired adventurer from her Free Company checks the marketboard with barely concealed irritation. Tibbett closes her eyes, listening to the sound of the nearby waterfall, the birds, the wind gently rustling the branches above her, and drifting up from the large house at the bottom of the hill, the sound of a friend calling her name.

"Kellen, up here! Over by the marketboard!" she yells, taking a deep breath and preparing the materials for her next sword on the anvil. The redheaded Miqo'te jogs lightly up the hill, taking a seat underneath the tree with her.
    "What'cha making?" he asks, staring at the softly glowing light gripped in her tongs.
    "Oh, uh. A sword, I think," she responds, absentmindedly waving the hammer in her off hand. "My retainer ended up selling everything I'd given them to market, so I feel like I've got to put something up there." She pauses between hammer swings, finally looking at the catboy beside her. "I'm gonna be here a while, if you want to hang out and talk."
    "Of course!" he responds, smiling brightly.

Tibbett loved the thrill of adventure, the glory of combat, the satisfaction of a world safe to live another day... but in truth, there were always days when she suspected this scene was what she really wanted. She wanted to be with her friends, unburdended by the responsibility of the fate of the world, together in the peaceful shade of her favorite tree in the Lavender Beds. But so too as the story of the adventurer Tibbett Tibe continues on its own, the story of the Warrior of Light continues with it. To live the fate of one is to invoke the other. And so she takes these moments, these peaceful afternoons of making fresh wares by the marketboard, these hours talking the day away with her friends, and she cherishes them as best she can.

(If selected I would like the Bluebird earrings)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Composa Dos
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90

The Smile

As i strolled down to the Southeast Derelicts below the towering city of Eulmore i decided to stop by and check up on a rather new friend, a child miqo'te gazing up into the sky amungst the trash heap she called home.
    "Compowsa!"she screamed her broken speech with a cat-ear to cat-ear smile watching me emerge from the atheryte.
    "Hello kiddo, ready to continue the story?
    "mmhm!" she jubilently nodded.
    As we sat down i begun to tell the story where i left off , the warrior of light soon to embark on his first treasure hunt as a new member of an FC. through-and-through the story of my fondest memory soon lead to its climax.

"It was the third spin of the wheel in the enchanted room, we had spun three Gold tiles in a row and the room around us magically filled to the brim with wealth beyond my imagining -- ours for the taking if we emerged victorious. the light flashed underneath the symbols on the floor : 1 gem, 3 gem, elephant, demon, gold -- the anticipation was maddening, the realization that no monster could take us down, but the cruel finger of lady-luck could seal our fate in an instant. The seconds stretched on as the magical spinner came to a stop. The demon tile begun to glow and my heart sank in my chest, as the dust from around the room began to spiral to the center, summoning a monster, a familiar beast with a wormhole for a stomach -- it appeared that our luck had run out. We starred to the demon , it stared back, and without hesitation it opened its mouth -- uncontrollably we begun to fly through the air into the monster's bottomless mouth. It was over....or at least would have been, had it not been for one special miracle i can only imagine the gods themselves orchestrated...but as of now thats where i shall leave off, little one"

"Awww, Tell me another one Compowsa!" She cheered.
    "Woah, slow down hun, save some stories for later." I smiled, brushing the stray food crumbs off of her lip.
    Getting up from the weathered log i began to pick up my things and walk away, i caught a glimpse of the child's face, along with her drooping kitten ears -- as if her fun had suddenly came to an end.
    "Will you come back tomowwo to play with me?" She sadly asked. Turrning back around with an easy smirk i grabbed her like a baby, lifting her up.
    "I dont see why not -- ill even bring a treat IF mommy tells me youve been good." I smiled and nodded over to a woman preparing what food she could scrap together in a distant tent; she heard my words and smiled.
    "Yayyy" the child celebrated, hugging me tight before leaping down with her ears popped back up, and stubby tail wagging like that of a dog while she skipped and danced away to her tent -- still starring up at the night sky as if she had only seen it for the first time.

(Chosen item: Mandragoria choker)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Serra Swiftstrike
    World
    Garuda
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 80

Partners

I looked up at the night sky hanging over Ala Ghiri and sighed. It was beautiful and I would appreciate it more if I hadn’t been staring at it for the past half hour. My husband, sitting next to me in the Regalia, had fallen asleep.
    It sounds like we're having a lovely date night but we were actually waiting for the FATE “Rattle and Humbaba” so I could try win the Ala Mhigan barding. I really wanted the barding but wasn’t sure I could handle the FATE chain alone so I begged by dear husband to help. He, being the patient amiable sort, agreed to help.
    So here we were, patiently waiting for the rare FATE to appear. It was getting to the point where I was wondering if I should go fishing while waiting when suddenly … “It’s up! Let’s go!” The Regalia shot up into the sky.
    My husband woke with a start. “Huh? What?”
    “Get your axe out!” I cried.
    We land at the FATE site, get into battle stance, chocobo companions on standby … and there, standing before us, is the biggest, greenest, muud suud monster I’ve ever seen. We look like toys next to it. My mouth drops open as my heart just sinks. It’s just me, a Red Mage and my Warrior husband against this huge monster; we’re going to need a group to even try this. “I am so sorry I did not realize this was a boss FATE.” I’m a little sad; no way am I going to get that lovely barding now.
    My husband looks calmly at me. “We can do this. Let’s go.” I look back at him and remember; the dungeons we ran together, braving the wilds and challenges of Eureka, fighting and defeating Primals, traveling the Azim Steppe with the Dataqi tribe. Over that time we’ve learned each others’ strengths and weaknesses and I know I can depend on him. By the steady look he's giving me, he believes in me too. He’s right; we can do this, together. We exchange crazy grins and go rushing in.
    It was close, but victory was ours! Now everytime I look at the Ala Mhigan barding I remember the teamwork we utilized to win it, and look forward to many more shared adventures in the future.

Since then, whenever I ask my husband to help with something he gives me a weird look. But he always agrees because he's my darling partner.

If I win, the Noble Barding please thank you!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Caduceus Deus
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 89

Returning to a Realm Reborn

Caduceus steadied his hands. He continued to work the fabrics spread out before him: Serge, Felt, Wool. The fireworks were thundering outside from The Rising celebrations. His listened to them and let his mind wander as he started to work. He shut his eyes as another firework peeled in to the sky; he could not forget that day.
    Caduceus fled from the meteor. He left Ul'dah with the few gil he could ply from stitching cotton underclothes; the prospect of the calamity bearing down on Eorzea, watching it descend closer each passing day, was too much. He felt his insides twist whenever he looked in the sky. What safety could the walls of Ul'dah provide against a twelves-forsaken celestial moon, Dalamud? Not to mention the imperial forces pouring in to Mor Dhona. He would flee. He had to. What other choice was there?

And so he packed his few belongings and left with his fiancé, Emilia. Most overland travel had ceased between nations when Dalamud's proximity to Eorzea began affecting all wildlife. Beasts were more aggressive, monsters began appearing, and reports of empire scouts waylaying supply caravans made travel, at this point, a dangerous proposition. Regardless, he secured passage through a dear friend. A Miqo'te, who called himself 'Fenrir' who had bade him to retreat to Gridania.

"We'll be there soon." Caduceus said as much to console himself as he spoke to Emilia. She grabbed his arm.

"I hope so." Emilia said. They both stared outside the carriage at the moon for awhile before they began to hear the sounds of battle from afar. First the horns of Grand Companies, then the shouts of men, explosions--screams. Even those not sensitive to aether could surely feel the swirling maelstrom of energy from Carteneau.

And then it happened: a brillant flash above Carteneau, and fragments of the moon, each perhaps a malm long, exploded in every direction. Caduceus and Emilia last shared a glance at a Mercydian nightmare from a forgotten age. Bahamut. They saw one beat of its wings, the flares streak across the sky, and then blackness took them both.
    "It's already been another year," Caduceus said to himself aloud as he worked the final stitch in a 'fat cat' sofa. He stood up, stretched, and instinctively rubbed at the mark between his shoulder blades. Another year since the Wood Wailers pulled their unconscious bodies from the ruined carriage just beyond the Rootslake. Another year since since he devoted himself to Conjury to repay the mercy the elementals granted him. Another year since Emilia and he took up adventuring together. Another year since Emilia had mastered the secrets of thaumaturgy. And another year since they married in the Sanctum of the Twelve. He felt guilty for fleeing in Eorzea's time of need all those years ago, but he returned. He had finally heard Hydaelyn's call, and he would not forsake it again.

(Noble Barding!)
    (0)

Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast