Player
    Character
    Alex Nervar
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Cled-cat View Post
    That’s great and all that you can embrace your illness, but it’s a total non sequitur in this. We’re not likening identities or pronouns to autism, they’re two entirely different things, so it’s not really making sense in regards to this thread. The crucial difference you’re overlooking is that there is no set precedence for using autism related pronouns or such and that subsequent supposed impact on your life or gaming. Unlike identities, no one in the game is constantly calling you autistic or anything even remotely related to it in game. Unlike gender, which permeates the game as discussed:
    Actually, haha, some pronouns are autism-related, not sure how they made them - blame Tumblr. There are pronouns for everything these days. Some will argue why should your pronoun trump there's? Where is their inclusion? Heck, I've seen people who have pronouns that are related to their kins, to pokemon, to colours - etc. I had one person who used 'Feyself' as a pronoun because they thought they were a fairy, and yes, they were serious.

Where will you draw the line?

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonoreo View Post
    Ah, French localisation. They gender everything. Indeed, it would be a localization challenge and for that, they could keep the same overly complicated gender deal going. Given that it's in French, I'm not going to take that as definitive evidence they program it this way globally. If they do, lol.
    It's not just french. Like there's plenty of times in this game where we're called 'Lad/Lass' or 'Sir/Madam' you can't ignore this. It's rather extensive in the English versions, especially since FF14 is set in a medieval fantasy type world, where people are big on titles that coincide with your gender sometimes.
    (19)
    Last edited by Gwenorai; 07-27-2019 at 05:14 AM.

Player
    Character
    Aisha Starglow
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    Hi there!

So I'm nonbinary and it's been a real treat seeing gender neutral pronouns being used for the pixies in Il Mheg and for our adorable branch. For the WoL, though, there's always only he/him or she/her. I was wondering if it might be possible to set different pronouns for written dialogue and system messages, either through the character creation process or something in the options menu? It would be a nice little bit of inclusion to have in the game.

Obviously, voiced lines that use pronouns don't necessarily need to change in the process.
    I would personally like this, but I think that considering it would likely cost quite a few resources it isnt thta necessary, and I'd encourage you to take it asa character you are lookign at and not yourself ^^
    (1)

3. 07-27-2019 05:08 AM

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    One call to a database vs having the game individually test each case every time.
    Could just be one call to check if you're male or female too though (1=yes, 0=no; 1=male, 0=female). A variable of a space of two would certainly be simpler and less resource intensive than a variable larger than a space of two.

Edit: oh I see what you meant, I was already thinking you'd have to test cases no matter what so "how would having anything larger than 2 be possibly better?" (in terms of efficiency) lol. But you were thinking more like if the system didn't work as it did, I think Harmonea did a good job explaining how it probably isn't that way (because of so many ways each language can and does say things).

Also actually how they coded it if Harmonea's example is real like (structure wise) then the amount of work to add more genders is so much more than I had thought which was already quite a bit (because the structure doesn't really promote for an easy change). If I paid more attention to those French leaks that'd help here hahah, but I didn't because I was like "I can't read french anyways, important detail is Hrothgar - yeet!" lol.
    (1)
    Last edited by Shougun; 07-27-2019 at 05:44 AM.

Player
    Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    The voice actors already use male or female pronouns when referring to you

You may be gender neutral or have a non binary gender irl, but this is Hydaelyn, not Earth.

/thread
    (22)

Player
    Character
    Cledwyn Llywellyn
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenorai View Post
    Actually, haha, some pronouns are autism-related, not sure how they made them - blame Tumblr. There are pronouns for everything these days. Some will argue why should your pronoun trump there's? Where is their inclusion? Heck, I've seen people who have pronouns that are related to their kins, to pokemon, to colours - etc. I had one person who used 'Feyself' as a pronoun because they thought they were a fairy, and yes, they were serious.

Where will you draw the line?
    That’s a bit of a scare-mongering tactic though, since it’s one thing to observe non binary and gender non conforming identities that have been observed for a long time, and then the rabies-sexuals and autism-gender, which have very little (to literally NO) traction in the real world outside of some bizarre tumblr pages. That is not a conversation to be had here, once you start seeing rabies threads and nebula-pronoun threads then you can argue that as much as you please, but that’s probably not gonna happen. So far the points you’ve made are essentially just anecdotes of the truly fringe and often parody “identities” as proof of this being a bottomless well of no return, even if we just observe gender neutral pronouns. I’m not really buying it, the line in this thread has been drawn at non-binary and gender non conforming.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Cledwyn Llywellyn
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Final-Fantasy View Post
    I'm a Cat, in real life too, because I SAID SO.

You must now edit all dialogue and voice acted scenes to make me feel special.

Love,
    Purrs-A-Lot
    Hilarious, are you also an attack helicopter? Bet it took you a while to come up with that once /s
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Alex Nervar
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Cled-cat View Post
    That’s a bit of a scare-mongering tactic though, since it’s one thing to observe non binary and gender non conforming identities that have been observed for a long time, and then the rabies-sexuals and autism-gender, which have very little (to literally NO) traction in the real world outside of some bizarre tumblr pages. That is not a conversation to be had here, once you start seeing rabies threads and nebula-pronoun threads then you can argue that as much as you please, but that’s probably not gonna happen. So far the points you’ve made are essentially just anecdotes of the truly fringe and often parody “identities” as proof of this being a bottomless well of no return, even if we just observe gender neutral pronouns. I’m not really buying it, the line in this thread has been drawn at non-binary and gender non conforming.
    How is it a scare tactic when it's the truth. You did not state which genders are to be chosen. You can't stomp your feet and go 'no, you can't bring those up' when we both know said people are also in this community. Nor can you act like I'm being an arse for bringing it up. Draw a line. Simple.

You can then deal with the people who have those weird tumblr pronouns and say how you don't agree with them and have a proper discussion. Far as I'm concerned those are mentally ill individuals, just like gender dysphoria is a mental illness that can often result in adverse effects on one's mental state, even after going through various treatments to align with the sex they desire. And the argument for this is that society doesn't make room for them, yet this does nothing to aid in that plight. All it does is show you personally that pronoun change - it does not show anyone else outside what your pronoun is, so they're just going to say the wrong pronoun anyway. That's what happens when your avatar is either male or female and has no in-between.
    (18)
    Last edited by Gwenorai; 07-27-2019 at 05:29 AM.

Player
    Character
    Riku Reinhart
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Paige404 View Post
    Correction: non-binary genders are new to you, and several games have been explicitly inclusive in this regard for years.

literally no one accused Squenix of this but okay
    Why are you trying to pick a fight where there isn't one? I understand that its been around for a while but the fact of the matter is, it has not been mainstream until the last couple decades. Stop being a little troll and understand context.
    (14)

Player
    Character
    Diaval Alucard
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    I'm a computer IRL. I would love if they made everything binary.
    (23)

Player
    Character
    Siete Siebenheim
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 80
    I'll keep going with my stance.
    Why are you trying to force stuff of our world into the game's world?
    Do you have so little respect for other cultures? This attitude reminds me of America's Colonization.
    (16)

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast