Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Lalamia Millybonk
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90

Why don't subtitles fit to what's being said?

I use Japanese audio with the English client, and there are quite a lot of situations in which words like brother/sister/friend etc. are being being sad and I recognize them, but they're not even mentioned in the subtitles, thus altering the actual meaning.

I understand not being able to translate humor/word plays etc. 100%, but such a large difference is irritating.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Lynne Asteria
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Millybonk View Post
    I use Japanese audio with the English client, and there are quite a lot of situations in which words like brother/sister/friend etc. are being being sad and I recognize them, but they're not even mentioned in the subtitles, thus altering the actual meaning.

I understand not being able to translate humor/word plays etc. 100%, but such a large difference is irritating.
    Because they aren't subtitles for the Japanese client. They are the text of the english localisation.
    (22)

Player
    Character
    Leif Flakkari
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    I hear complaints like this a lot, but it has to be said that GOOD localisation is not a 100% literal translation. For the most part, FFXIV is really well localised and we're very lucky.

Sorry, but people who can only recognise a few words in Japanese aren't really in a position to be complaining about it.

The "actual meaning" is usually an intent/feeling, which is not always communicated by using identical words.
    (25)

Player
    Character
    Crushing Fatigue
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie_Lenneth View Post
    Because they aren't subtitles for the Japanese client. They are the text of the english localisation.
    This. And the English localization is less a strict retelling of the Japanese script and more something that would be easier for English speakers to digest - Japanese to English can be VERY clunky sometimes if you translate it literally - with a heavy dose of Shakespearean language thrown in for good measure.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Asuka Kiyomi
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by seida View Post
    I hear complaints like this a lot, but it has to be said that GOOD localisation is not a 100% literal translation. For the most part, FFXIV is really well localised and we're very lucky.

Sorry, but people who can only recognise a few words in Japanese aren't really in a position to be complaining about it.

The "actual meaning" is usually an intent/feeling, which is not always communicated by using identical words.

p-much this, a 100% literal translation would be really bad in english and the other languages due to the nuances of each language , small context clues subtle word plays, tonal influance ect, Koji fox said during one of the live letters that they have to work hard to keep the cultures in mind for some word plays since a lot of the japanese word plays even if 100% literal would either have no meaning the mis interpreted meaning or the reference would go way over our head culturally
    (7)

Sometimes you just got to have Some fun

Player
    Character
    Oraina Fhey
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    It's essentially because if we did a literal translation (or close to as possible) the grammatical structure would jumble the whole thing into almost pure nonsense. Engrish phrases would be the best example of this. Japanese grammar is VERY different from English grammar.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Peony Jones
    World
    Marilith
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 86
    Haurchefant was drastically changed from the Japanese version, and I'm guessing that was done because they weren't sure how well he'd be received in the West. Might've even had the potential to raise the ESRB rating, I don't know.

Here's Zepla talking about these changes. She tried to avoid spoilers, but you probably shouldn't watch it if you haven't at least finished Heavensward. You should definitely refrain from reading the comments if if that's the case.

https://youtu.be/wfmrNsuxsoY
    (4)
    She's got a chicken to ri-ide, she's got a chicken to ri-i-ide...
    She's got a chicken to ride, this game's from Square!

Player
    Character
    Avi Taro
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Haurchefaunt isn't the only one. I remember reading that the Keeper of the Lake cutscene was hugely different as well - enough so that the Japanese translation explained what in the world was going on far better than the English version, imo.

But yeah, it's definitely not a direct translation.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Vidu Moriquendi
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Its been like this with many FF-titles, though.

Its the reason I play with english audio and german text - in the hope that this allows me to graps even more of the story, since sometimes the english one will explain stuff better, sometimes the german text adds more...
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cidel Paratonnerre
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    I understand why the dialogue of Japanese to the English localization texts are different, and it usually doesn't bother me (aside from the vagueness of Midgardsormr's Keeper of the Lake CS, for example), but the bit at the end of the Shadowbringers' MSQ when-
    Estinien utters a whole sentence in Japanese but the the English version simply has "Hmph"

-Made me raise an eyebrow.
    (4)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast