Player
    Character
    Fate Raines
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50

vmware has anyone tryed

Hi im a linux fan i wanting put ubuntu on my main system but ARR is windows only, i cant see it ever getting ported linux. So i thought i ask did anyone try to run 1.0 on windows though vmware.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Duuude Bismarck
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80
    Vmware... im pretty sure I tried on a virtual insance of xp, and it crashed horribly. Not sure of newer OS's however.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Edge Ralliare
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Just duel boot your main machine and don;t waste it;s power then. If you're a gamer you should have foreseen this.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Delsus Highwind
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    The game will never run under VMWare, because in the virtual OS it uses an emulated graphics adapter which cannot run heavy 3d games.

If you want run ARR under Linux you should try Wine, it apparently worked very well on 1.00, so hopefully it will run well in ARR. Whist Wine is essentially an emulated environment unlike VMWare it recognizes and uses the hardware graphics adapter which allows it to run heavy 3d applications.

Source: I use VMWare all the time and I know it extremely well, and a Linux geek, hell just a geek all over
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Milenya Myana
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 53
    With wine you can expect 20-30% of native windows performance, FFXIV has always been running terrible with it. Don't believe what people rate it at winehq.org, they play at lowest settings, low resolution whereas the same hardware would run the game at max settings on windows.

If you want native performance on Linux via Virtualisation use XEN direct hardware passthrough but you need 2 graphic cards for that:

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...-the-way-to-go!!!

http://gro.solexiv.de/2012/08/pci-passthrough-howto/

Its complicated to get it running properly but performance is superior to wine or vmware's non-existing 3D capabilities.

Good luck
    (0)
    Last edited by Franzisca; 11-14-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Player
    Character
    Enyyx Catte
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Delsus View Post
    Source: I use VMWare all the time and I know it extremely well, and a Linux geek, hell just a geek all over
    You didn't mention that you've actually tried this with the latest versions of Fusion/Workstation/etc which advertise better 3d support.

Here's someone who has (at least with Player): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yOEwqhniSE Granted, it's not FFXIV, but this at least shows that 3d gaming is possible.

I'm going to try this with Workstation 9 for fun in a couple months, but need to finish building the actual box first.
    (0)
    Last edited by Enyyx; 11-14-2012 at 11:27 PM.

Player
    Character
    Delsus Highwind
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Enyyx View Post
    You didn't mention that you've actually tried this with the latest versions of Fusion/Workstation/etc which advertise better 3d support.

Here's someone who has (at least with Player): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yOEwqhniSE Granted, it's not FFXIV, but this at least shows that 3d gaming is possible.

I'm going to try this with Workstation 9 for fun in a couple months, but need to finish building the actual box first.
    Lemme check what workstation 9 says downloading now.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Delsus Highwind
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Sorry for the double, I have Workstation 9 installed and tools updated, obviously I can't check FFXIV, but I'll try something else and report back.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Delsus Highwind
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Tried to install Batman Arkham Asylum and I get this when it checks the system.

That's running a Windows Vista Business VM in VMWare Workstation 9 with updated tools and the VM upgraded to run under Workstation 9 hardware compatibility.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Enyyx Catte
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Booo...

Do you still have the FFXIV benchmark software? If not, go grab it from fileplanet before SE reads this! XD

http://www.fileplanet.com/213527/210...-XIV-Benchmark
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast