Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Teleport System

Player

I'm all for anima and teleportation. Think about situations where you just log on, and your linkshell is gathering on the other side of the world. It's pretty convenient to be able to teleport to them immediately, rather than have them wait 15 minutes or more for you to get over there.
    When other methods of transportation are added, people will definitely use them. Teleports will probably be reserved for times you need to meet up with a group instantly, or if you only have a short time to play.
    (0)

Player

I like to jump all over the place to change environmets, to keep the outlook different as to not get too bored. I run out of anima but i play alot atm. I would be open to any changes in the future, this is a working progress and i have faith SE will continue to improve.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Darkstar Poet
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatTozini View Post
    I'm all for anima and teleportation. Think about situations where you just log on, and your linkshell is gathering on the other side of the world. It's pretty convenient to be able to teleport to them immediately, rather than have them wait 15 minutes or more for you to get over there.
    When other methods of transportation are added, people will definitely use them. Teleports will probably be reserved for times you need to meet up with a group instantly, or if you only have a short time to play.
    this is exactly what i use mine for at this point. if i am afk and an crafting in ud and find out the party is getting ready for nm's in coerthas i can grab my gear, port there, and join in the fun. when removing this it takes almost 30 minutes to run from uldah to camp clory for the uraeus. by the time someone made it the battle would be done and over with. now finish that battle and decide hey we're going to go to bald knoll after to fight the buffalo so let's run there. it will stop the flow of the game in that aspect.

i usually only use my anima to get to a party forming within my ls or to take members of my party to another place.
    (0)

http://crystalknights.guildwork.com/

Player
    Character
    Big Dawg
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    I'm not a fan of the current system, but until airships and choco's are introduced we don't have much of a choice. For airships to be viable the current teleport system would have to be edited and the cities removed from the lists. As long as they are still on the anima list people would rarely use the airships.

Also, I would like the current system to be changed to port you to an outpost that is not right directly at the camp. Finally, give us chocobo already! Chocobo are a staple of a FF game and it does not feel right without them as a means of transportation.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Julie Nymphiel
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    One thing they can do is add areas that can only be gotten to by Chocobo that have no teleport system in place.
    (0)
    I have to thank Square-Enix for the amazing job they have done recreating Final Fantasy XIV from Scratch. Especially the inclusion of Missing Genders which we petitioned for in good faith. This was proof to us players that the Developers are truly Sympathetic to our requests and that being honest and vocal can pay off with the amazing characters we have who are Female Roegadyn, Male Miqote, and Female Highlanders. Thank You SE, Thank You Community Team, Thank You Yoshi-P.

Player
    Character
    Mocha Momocha
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Rentahamster View Post
    "Straw man" arguments? I think you are confused on what the definition of a "straw man" is. I am not misrepresenting Mega's arguments. All I am doing is listing reasons as to why removing teleportation doesn't add anything worthwhile to the gameplay. The more choices a player has regarding transportation, the better.
    You took Mega's arguement about a short airship ride and started spouting about how you can do a leve in that same amount of time. You're not refuting his position, you're making comparisons that just don't matter. Not classic straw man, but close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Rentahamster View Post
    Why shouldn't MMORPGs be able to cater to casual players with limited gametime? If a gameplay mechanic can be implemented that helps out casuals, yet does nothing to impede the progress or enjoyment of the more hardcore players, there is no reason why it should not be implemented.

There is always going to be a solution that helps out both types of players, or at least a compromise that has more positives than negatives.
    Some MMORPGs DO cater to casual players. Play LotRO, WoW, or Rift. Not every game needs to, however. Last time I checked, FFXI (moderated) and EvE(hardcore) were doing just fine.

The problem is that even if a single gameplay mechanic doesn't really affect people who play more than casually, they add up and eventually end up watering down the experience for everyone.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Darkstar Poet
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    You took Mega's arguement about a short airship ride and started spouting about how you can do a leve in that same amount of time. You're not refuting his position, you're making comparisons that just don't matter. Not classic straw man, but close enough.

Some MMORPGs DO cater to casual players. Play LotRO, WoW, or Rift. Not every game needs to, however. Last time I checked, FFXI (moderated) and EvE(hardcore) were doing just fine.

The problem is that even if a single gameplay mechanic doesn't really affect people who play more than casually, they add up and eventually end up watering down the experience for everyone.
    actually the statement she made directly refuted the argument he made. his response was that casual players or people that only play a little time during the week would not be affected by the removal completely of teleporting because they do not have much time to play. he stated that an 8 minute airship ride would not break into their time. renta pointed out that short 8 minute air ride, while it would not impact us, would impact the casual players by taking away 10% of their playing time and take away that percentage of the playing time. that is in no way a straw man argument.

second, i do not see how if a single game mechanic does not affect your game it waters down the game experience. the ones that play alot take advantage of the teleport system in place now and would continue to do so on certain circumstances. i know for one, i would not wait for 30-45 minutes for someone to run to the airship then fly over to the location we are waiting to start fighting a nm in. those are on a timer and either you engage em before the timer runs out or you lose the chance to fight it.
    (0)

http://crystalknights.guildwork.com/

Player
    Character
    Nephera Habasi
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega View Post
    If you can only play for an hour, whats wrong with an 8 minute airship ride?
    it would be 8 minutes on the airship, plus several minutes to run from city to the nearest camp, plus a few minutes to run to wherever you're farming if you're not doing leves.

edit: I'll also bring up the fact that behest signup starts every hour on the hour and you'd be pretty pissed if you missed one because you couldnt walk to the camp you wanted in time, chocobo or not.
    (0)
    Last edited by Nephera; 03-21-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Player
    Character
    Avacyn Moonsilver
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Remove anima. Remove 4/6 camps in each region. Remove all nodes. Add Chocobo's/Airships. Make the remaining 2 Aetheryte's + City Plaza's Teleport spells usable by CON/THM.

DONE.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Avacyn Moonsilver
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Making this game overly solo friendly is KILLING the adventure aspect, the teamplay aspect and most of all, the level of difficulty / time put into content. These NM's we have are a damned joke. MMO's aren't FOR casual players. You want casual buy a 360 and play FFXIII.
    (0)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast